• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas: Women on Target

golddigger14s

Activist Member
NRA Women on Target Basic Pistol Shooting Clinic
National Rifle Association Women on Target Basic Pistol Shooting Clinic. This is a women's only pistol / revolver course presented by Emily Larsen, NRA Certified Instructor and NRA Certified Range Safety Officer. Emily and her instructor team will introduce you to handguns and hone your knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for selecting, owning and safely operating a handgun. Any firearm experience welcome. Finish with a live fire exercise at the Evergreen Sportsman's Club. Pre-paid CASH registration REQUIRED at Customer Service one week prior to class - $50 with personal handgun or $65 without personal handgun. Late Pre-paid CASH registration: $65 with personal handgun or $80 without personal handgun. Class limit 25. Lunch provided. Questions: Call 253-691-6063 or email Elarsen1911@hotmail.com
Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Location: 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Chinook Classroom, 2nd floor next to Cascades Grill Restaurant; 1:30 - 5:30 pm Evergreen Sportsman's Club (Littlerock, WA).

Metal_Monkey

I am not going to say anything bad about this course, I'm sure it would be very helpful. However I just wanted to add that there are a few(sorry I don't have the links atm) great videos covering the same stuff on youtube.com . You may all know this already, but hey it's my first day.

Beretta92FSLady

Some ladies like to get some hands-on instruction, especially if they are N.R.A. certified. Is there an age limit? I will look myself, just in case.

oldkim

Hands on baby!

Yes, I have to concur... hands on. You can watch all the videos and read all the books you want. Until you actually put it into practice - it truly doesn't mean a whole lot.

Also everyone learns differently and woman tend not to be raised in a "gun atmosphere" as men are. What I'm saying is you don't see lots of little girls running around with little toy guns, playing gun type video games, etc.

In an all women environment gals can settle down and ask those questions if they have a question among other gals.

The instructor is a young woman (good for her).

I recommend to any experience level (as even the more experienced can help those struggling along). You just never know what "tricks" you'll pick up or share.

So back on topic: Saturday, August 7 and 28
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...aboutus/retail/retail_stores/lacey/lacey.html

elarsen1911

Hello From the Clinic Director!

Hello out there and Thank you to everyone for the feedback on my NRA Women On Target Basic Pistol Course!

My name is Emily Larsen; I am the Clinic Director as well as the Certified Instructor and Range Safety Officer. These Classes are really so much fun, it is really amazing to me to see so many Women wanting to to get educated and involved in shooting sports! And the best part about it all is the elation they share with me and my staff by the time we are finished shooting at the range by the end of the day. They can't get enough of it and they are totally hooked! It’s really a great way to become educated, gain experience & knowledge, and it opens so many doors to continue to build skills in any variation of shooting sports. I see confidence go from 0 to 100% by the end of the day and not to mention they can't wait to take their targets home to their husbands, boyfriend, dads, moms, etc. to prove their accomplishments. I must say, I am always very impressed with their shooting; starting out at the range you can just watch the Ladies get into their "grove" and actually incorporate what the learned in class into their shooting with great results shown on the target. By about the third round of shooting they usually can keep them all in the black. We also use "reactive" target like balloons and clay targets to keep things interesting.

I give every student the opportunity to try (once they have all proved sufficient on .22 pistols & revolvers) a great variety of different makes, models, calibers, etc. This is optional of course but it is great way for Ladies to get their hands on many different handguns to determine what they like and dislike.

I always find it very interesting that out of all the larger calibers that I personally provide for students to try; .380 .38 .357 9mm 40s&w 10mm (for more experienced shooters) and .45 auto, the majority almost ALWAYS love the 1911 Style .45acp's. They have very good taste! They don't just prefer it because of its obvious beauty but they like the "push" of the .45 recoil, they heavier frame, & just the way they fit in their grip. Kudos Ladies.

I have a really great staff; I cannot thank them all enough!

Joel (My Dad)- He is also a Range Safety Officer & NRA Certified Instructor; he is they only "guy" present. He does a lot of the demonstrations for me while I'm teaching and helps observe the range.

Meagan- Helps me keep my head on straight when there are a million things floating around in there. She is really great with all my administrative stuff, public relations and advertising. She is new to shooting sports but she's now hooked and recently purchased her first pistol!

Ami- Is such a great help to me in class and on the range. She also helps with demonstrations and even does a little instruction as well. Ami is an avid shooter and reloader and a very impressive shot.

Morgann-My awesome "little" helper, she does anything we ask her to from stuffing goodie bags to picking up brass and even helps demonstrate in class. She is actually one of my boss’s daughter from the gun shop. She has learned how to handle and operate pistol safely and enjoys shooting .22's.

I can't thank them all enough, I am SO lucky to have such a great staff.

Everyone at Cabela’s is really great as well, we are very lucky to have them involved as Sponsors for the class.

Also, I cannot forget everyone at Evergreen Sportsman's Club of Olympia; especially Richard Flynn, the Range Safety Officer that helps out. He is AWESOME! It is a great range to use and you don’t even have to buy a membership to use facilities, just pay a day use fee and you're set!

*SPECIAL ANNOUNCMENT FOR AUGUST CLASSES!*
We will also have a VERY special guest speaker assisting us, for his safety I do not want to post his name or position/rank etc. but he is an instructor for a very elite group of our Armed Forces. We are very privileged to have him with us so something to look forward to for anyone attending the August 7 or 28 classes.

Please let me know if you do have any questions about the course or any other courses I offer. I'm always happy to help!

More info:
http://www.nrahq.org/women/isc/index.asp

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=/cabelas/en/content/community/aboutus/retail/retail_stores/lacey/lacey.html

Picture: Left; Student Trina, Meagan (staff), Right; Emily ( Instructor)
DSCF1647.jpg

June 12, 2012 Class

DSCF1657.jpg

Nosrac

I've sent this info to a friend of mine. I want her to take a class so she will be more comfortable around guns then maybe she will let her son get involved and eventually allow her son to shoot with my son. She has said in the past that she would like to take a class.

Last edited:

J_Douglass

I am trying to get my wife into shooting. I am hoping that she will take one of these classes.