• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa Level II problem

Sonora Rebel

Simply put... one of the screws fell out. The other 3 were loose. The holster is at a 45 deg angle (cross draw) 'n the upper screw disappeared. When I noticed it... (while putting on the gunbelt) I found that the mag release on my 1911 had been hit as well... and the mag was disengaged. Something tripped the release button. I can't have that happen. The pistol went back into the old Bianchi UM-84 (open top) with the thumb break. I like the Serpa, but I won't trust it again. Not with a 1911 anyway.

Tawnos

Simply put... one of the screws fell out. The other 3 were loose. The holster is at a 45 deg angle (cross draw) 'n the upper screw disappeared. When I noticed it... (while putting on the gunbelt) I found that the mag release on my 1911 had been hit as well... and the mag was disengaged. Something tripped the release button. I can't have that happen. The pistol went back into the old Bianchi UM-84 (open top) with the thumb break. I like the Serpa, but I won't trust it again. Not with a 1911 anyway.

Blackhawk sent me free replacement screws. I put them in with blue threadlocker, and have not had issues since.

Dreamer

Blackhawk sent me free replacement screws. I put them in with blue threadlocker, and have not had issues since.

+1 on Blackhawk's FANTASTIC customer support. Call them, and they will send you a new set of screws for free...

1-800-694-5263 x3450

And +2 on the blue Loc-Tite. I have that on BOTH my Serpa CQC's, and they never come loose...

Sonora Rebel

I just called tha number... 'n they're sending a packet of screws/ I'll use that Lok-Tite. 'Still doesn't explain how my mag release was depressed.

Jay

I have used the serpa II for some time now, and it is by far my favorite holster for my G23. I put lock tite on all screws upon taking it out of the package, and to date I have not had any problem

DEFENSOR

Serpa II

Have the Glock 21 in a Serpa no problems what so ever. I have had the screws out a few times and they had
a thread locker from the start.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I just called tha number... 'n they're sending a packet of screws/ I'll use that Lok-Tite. 'Still doesn't explain how my mag release was depressed.

Your mag release is not protected by the Serpa (I don't think), it's actually exposed to the inside of your body and if you aren't 100% sure that the mag is seated it most certainly can be an issue.

Something I've noted with my Glock 34 is that the extended mag releases can be where a problem will lie in that they extend toward the body enough that with the right type and amount of twising you can hit the button with your body and not realize it...not much, but just enough to be a problem.

The other issue is that the edge of the kydex can be really close to the mag release button, depending on the firearm. Extended mag releases are a bad thing in this situation as well as a firearm that doesn't seem to seat in the Serpa properly or shifts slightly in it.

Unload completely and verify that status. With your Serpa off your belt and in your hands, seat the 1911 and lock it in place. Then observe where everything is in relation to your particular issue. Now you can twist, move, and shift the firearm in small amounts (don't us a lot of force, that may break your holster) to see if you can replicate the problem.

I had a friend complain about this with his XD and I discovered he had an extended ambi-release for his mags and his seatbelt hit the release button. Something to think about.

JoeSparky

Centurion
serpa Retention test

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I unintentionally tested the retention ability of my Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

I was open carrying my Kimber Compact Stainless 1911 in my Blackhawk Serpa Holster while riding my motorcycle.
I hit and killed a 3 point Mule Deer in Central Utah while traveling about 70 mph. The deer was killed outright on impact. My 800 pound motorcycle and I both went tumbling down the road about another 100-150 feet per my son who witnessed the incident from his motorcycle.

After tumbling to a stop as I lay waiting for the ambulance I asked my son if my sidearm was still in place strong side.... IT WAS. Only damage was some cosmetic abrasions to the lowermost portion of the holster. Firearm was secure and holster was secure to my waistband/belt!

Tawnos

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I unintentionally tested the retention ability of my Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

I was open carrying my Kimber Compact Stainless 1911 in my Blackhawk Serpa Holster while riding my motorcycle.
I hit and killed a 3 point Mule Deer in Central Utah while traveling about 70 mph. The deer was killed outright on impact. My 800 pound motorcycle and I both went tumbling down the road about another 100-150 feet per my son who witnessed the incident from his motorcycle.

After tumbling to a stop as I lay waiting for the ambulance I asked my son if my sidearm was still in place strong side.... IT WAS. Only damage was some cosmetic abrasions to the lowermost portion of the holster. Firearm was secure and holster was secure to my waistband/belt!

Is the gun okay?

;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Funny... wish he responded because I just purchased the carbon fiber. Would be nice to know :lol:

I routinely utilize a Serpa and am extremely pleased with one exception - the faux carbon fiber has a very low tolerance for abrasion - the black rubs off on the edges through normal use, exposing the white backing - most noticeable on the mag cases.

That fault however is going to make an interesting project. I intend to remove the soft material and adhesive backing and have nicely grained leather inserts made for both the holster and the mag carriers.

BTW - do NOT buy their double mag carrier - poor design. I returned mine and they have never replied to my correspondence. The problem stems from internal ridges inside that will cause the mags to ride very high above the top edge and NOT at the same height. I only tried this with .45ACP so don't know if other calibers are similarly effected. The problem does not exist on the single mag carriers.

Last edited:

sfmiller08

Maybe the screws weren't very tight initially? I wore my Serpa holster the whole time i was in the desert, never had a single problem with it. I love the Blackhawk gear, very reliable and good quality. I own a Serpa holster for M&P 9MM as well. No problems with that either.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe the screws weren't very tight initially? I wore my Serpa holster the whole time i was in the desert, never had a single problem with it. I love the Blackhawk gear, very reliable and good quality. I own a Serpa holster for M&P 9MM as well. No problems with that either.

Put a drop of finger nail polish on the screw threads - works like Loc-Tite.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I'm trying to visualize Grapeshot going to the women's counter asking for some fingernail polish, then mentioning to the clerk that it is just to keep his holster screws tight.