• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad pistol Ords. will stay on the books in TAYLOR for quite a while!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I attended the Taylor City Council meeting last night. When public comments were finally taken (around 11pm) I asked what the status was in getting the illegal pistol ordinances taken off the books? The Clerk said they are working on it. I pushed her & asked for a
"guestimate" She shrugged & said "maybe November"? I know how things work in Taylor & if she says November then I will say it is more likely [due to the holidays] (Thanksgiving/ X-mas/New Years) that we probably won't see a change until after the New Year break in 2011.

What do you think we can do to help them move this along quicker? I know they have a car show planned for Heritage park near the end of August I believe. Maybe a Picnic or another City Council visit as a group?

Original thread link from May 18th Meeting (last 40 seconds of video are of the Taylor OC event @ city hall)

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...g-7-30pm-on-Tuesday-May-18th&highlight=Taylor

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

Attachments

• TaylorMap.jpg
    TaylorMap.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 64

MFootball

Unfortunately, an officer was murdered in Taylor this morning. :(

Even though our message is to, obviously, always take the guns out of the hands of the BG's and put them in the hands of law-abiding citizens... incidents like these are never good for the publicity of gun advocates like ourselves. Especially when we're trying to get things changed.

But, more importantly. May the officer rest in peace. Pray for his surviving wife and two children.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/07/taylor_officer_fatally_shot_fo.html

MFootball

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yeah, a very unfortunate first post I'd say. I've been following the board for awhile, but just now took the time to register and post. I plan on sticking around.

B

Bikenut

I'm not sure it is necessary to be too concerned if an illegal ordinance stays on the books for a period of time as long as it has been agreed to be changed and the minutes of a council meeting reflects that.

Case in point....

Spaulding Township will change it's illegal ordinance but due to several other ordinances being in process of being changed, and the costs involved in changing them causing an already stretched budget to squirm a bit, they would like to change all the ordinances... including the illegal park's ordinance... all at the same time.

Having been the one who brought this issue to their attention I was asked if that would be acceptable and I agreed that it would be reasonable to work with them and their budget/planned changes already in the works. I agreed because my purpose is to get the ordinance changed... and to engender co operation between this particular council, and other councils, and the gun owner/carrier community.

I did ask to be kept informed of the progress.. and final disposition of the ordinance in question. And I will follow up. But nothing would have been gained by insisting the ordinance be changed instantly.

B

Bikenut

Unfortunately, an officer was murdered in Taylor this morning. :(

Even though our message is to, obviously, always take the guns out of the hands of the BG's and put them in the hands of law-abiding citizens... incidents like these are never good for the publicity of gun advocates like ourselves. Especially when we're trying to get things changed.

But, more importantly. May the officer rest in peace. Pray for his surviving wife and two children.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/07/taylor_officer_fatally_shot_fo.html

I have great sorrow for the tragic loss of an officer.. and great sympathy for those he left behind. There will be prayers said for them.

I must disagree though that our message is one of taking the guns out of the hands of bad guys and putting them in the hands of good guys. To my mind the message sent by the gun community needs to be that guns in the hands of good guys stop the bad guys who have guns in their hands.

Bad guys will always have guns... there is no way on earth to stop that. Banning all guns within the entire U.S. tomorrow followed by destroying all the guns in the U.S. the day after will only result in the good guys not having any guns... and the bad guys smuggling in more guns from other countries for themselves the next week.

Outlaw guns... or control guns... and only the outlaws will be out of control with guns.

Please let us not buy into the myth that controlling guns helps control bad guys.... it is a bald faced lie.

Edited to add... the above wasn't directed at you personally MFootball... I just bounced off what you said to deliver what I said.

And welcome to OCDO!

Last edited by a moderator:

MFootball

No worries, I agree 100% with your post. Actually, when I re-read my first post I realized the wording in it wasn't really what I had intended to say.

The myth that controlling guns stops the bad guys is just that, a myth. And it is the primary argument used by folks against our second amendment rights. Carry safely, carry smart, and carry often.

jmlefler

I'm not sure it is necessary to be too concerned if an illegal ordinance stays on the books for a period of time as long as it has been agreed to be changed and the minutes of a council meeting reflects that.

Case in point....

Spaulding Township will change it's illegal ordinance but due to several other ordinances being in process of being changed, and the costs involved in changing them causing an already stretched budget to squirm a bit, they would like to change all the ordinances... including the illegal park's ordinance... all at the same time.

Having been the one who brought this issue to their attention I was asked if that would be acceptable and I agreed that it would be reasonable to work with them and their budget/planned changes already in the works. I agreed because my purpose is to get the ordinance changed... and to engender co operation between this particular council, and other councils, and the gun owner/carrier community.

I did ask to be kept informed of the progress.. and final disposition of the ordinance in question. And I will follow up. But nothing would have been gained by insisting the ordinance be changed instantly.

Took me from me from last June to November to get 2 ordinances changed in my Township. As above, they did agree to no enforcement until they could change it. That being said, 'reasonableness' and 'cooperation' was a one-way street - I was expected to be 'reasonable' and 'cooperate' only to find out after the fact the Supervisor instructed the Board members/Attorney that he wanted to 'slow roll' this. It wasn't until I got real stinky and called him out personally and publically at Board meetings (for lack of response, time delay) that things happened.

Carry on.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
jmlefler is right on here: They says it is due to wanting to change many codes at once; know this: changing these 2 bad ords. before the others without publishing them online, then sending them to municode inc. will cost them nothing or very little (costs of adding to city hall hard copy "code book" & notices posted at city hall). I see this at a "slow roll" attempt by a couple of officials who are very anti 2A folks. They fear public perceptions if large #'s of people start OCing in the area.