• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jury Duty-Kent Municipal Court

trevorthebusdriver

Yay! Just got Jury Duty Summons in the mail today. I think I will go seeing as my job pays me anyway and it's close to my house. Has anyone OC at the Kent Municipal Court or know if they have lock boxes etc. This is the court on Central Ave, not the big King County one by Kent Station. As it's not a Federal building, I should be able to just walk in, OC or CC right?

Aaron1124

Never carried in there, but I know where it's at. You're right. You should be able to lawfully carry your firearm inside the entrance, and request to store your firearm.

Machoduck

I gather that you're referring to the Aukeen Court, sort of across from the old Pay-n-Pak site. I too got called for jury duty. I went in and showed my CPL to the appropriate individual and he took my pistol. There may have been some way in which they weren't following ".300"; I forget. I only went the one day; I was excused after that.

MD

knight_308

I went there for jury duty three or four years ago and they wouldn't let me in because of my SAK and other knives. Good thing I had driven instead of riding the bus... I asked if they had lockboxes or could check them and they looked at me like they had never had that request before.

kenshin

I know you can't carry out here in Kitsap county in the court room. I am assuming it is the same way in King County

It's the same way in all of Washington.

RCW 9.41.300
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

Aaron1124

Some states allow the Judge and Prosecutor to carry in the court room. I don't think they can here in Washington. Only law enforcement and security officers who are assigned a duty in there.

END_THE_FED

I went there for jury duty three or four years ago and they wouldn't let me in because of my SAK and other knives. Good thing I had driven instead of riding the bus... I asked if they had lockboxes or could check them and they looked at me like they had never had that request before.

by state law they should have provided you a lock box for you knives

RCW 9.41.300

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

its says weapons not firearms

so even if the city or county council having jurisdiction banned knives in the court room they must provide a lock box

EDIT: SAK = Swiss Army Knife ?

Last edited:

Tomas

They should have, but we all know how often gov't does what they should... :).

It's pretty common that "they" just skate until someone forces them into action.

Muni Courts in Lakewood, WA didn't pay any attention to 9.41 when they first built their new $14 million City Hall, but after lengthy discussions with the the city's attorney, they corrected the ommissions in very short order back in early 2002, and went to full compliance with the RCW.
http://home.earthlink.net/~zip98498/outline.html (bottom of list)

It took much longer, and federal intervention, to convince them to meet the ADA requirements. (They signed an agreement with the DOJ in 2004 promising compliance with the ADA and some additional requirements.)

trevorthebusdriver

So went there today cc. I said "I need to check a firerarm."
Older LEO: (a little sarcastically)"You do, do you?"
Me: "Yes"
OLEO: "Couldn't you just leave it in the car?"
Me: "I could, but you are supposed to have lockboxes for them."(I could see four boxes behind him)
(long pause)
OLEO: "Ok, let's do it."
It seems he was kind of reluctant, but he opened the box and I handed him my pistol and magazines and he put them in the box and locked it. I didn't get the key or any kind of receipt/claim ticket. On the plus side, he didn't ask for ID or CPL or if I was LEO.
When I came out for lunch break the LEO was gone, but the security guard was really cool about it and asked about my gun.("38?""No, 9mm Walther" "Oh, a PPS") I told him I would leave it in the safe in the car from now on because it seemed like a pain to check it every time and I could be there for a week. He said they didn't really like to do it because they had an incident a couple weeks ago. He called it a "gun battle". I'm going to go Google a bit and see if I can find any info on it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No! Keep making them check it in! They need to know that we carry and they need to know the process and make it seemless and positive for the LAC!

So went there today cc. I said "I need to check a firerarm."
Older LEO: (a little sarcastically)"You do, do you?"
Me: "Yes"
OLEO: "Couldn't you just leave it in the car?"
Me: "I could, but you are supposed to have lockboxes for them."(I could see four boxes behind him)
(long pause)
OLEO: "Ok, let's do it."
It seems he was kind of reluctant, but he opened the box and I handed him my pistol and magazines and he put them in the box and locked it. I didn't get the key or any kind of receipt/claim ticket. On the plus side, he didn't ask for ID or CPL or if I was LEO.
When I came out for lunch break the LEO was gone, but the security guard was really cool about it and asked about my gun.("38?""No, 9mm Walther" "Oh, a PPS") I told him I would leave it in the safe in the car from now on because it seemed like a pain to check it every time and I could be there for a week. He said they didn't really like to do it because they had an incident a couple weeks ago. He called it a "gun battle". I'm going to go Google a bit and see if I can find any info on it.

Beretta92FSLady

He said they didn't really like to do it because they had an incident a couple weeks ago. He called it a "gun battle". I'm going to go Google a bit and see if I can find any info on it.

When he said that to me, my BS alarm would have been flashing a solid red. They have a job to do, make them do it.