• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warning to all you paddle holster owners!

simmonsjoe

Tough. You brought it up now we need details.

Kind of rushed through reading all the posts on here, but I can honestly say that my Fobus paddle did it's job quite well a little over a week ago. Without going into details on here, I was in a physical altercation while OCing. While on the ground wrestling around for about two minutes and one strong tug on the weapon, it never budged and my Sigma stayed in place until I was able to end the mayhem (with hands of course, no weapons involved). Which is something a lot of my holsters with retention straps haven't done before on lesser occasions. Of course that was one incident so don't take it to heart too much.
Are you saying your the first known OCer to be the victim of a gun grab? We really need some details. At least say whether this qualified as a gun grab.

VAopencarry

UGH!! I can't believe this video is still around. I don't understand how anyone can give ANY credibility to this video. Seriously, The carrier helped the grabber!!

rob99vmi04

UGH!! I can't believe this video is still around. I don't understand how anyone can give ANY credibility to this video. Seriously, The carrier helped the grabber!!

Actually, if somebody is trying to get your gun out of your holster you are supposed to push down. This technique is taught in many beginner self defense courses. So your statement of the carrier helped the grabber yes he did, but that is what you are supposed to do if somebody is trying to get your gun. You are supposed to try and prevent them from pulling the gun out of the holster by pushing down, therefore this video has a lot of credibility. The holster is a an older fobus riveted paddle design, the newer fobus holster to my knowledge are not desiged this way.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

My fault. I took the hit on this as I didn't pay attention to which video (and the date) I linked to. But, once we have the video this weekend you might be surprised as to the result and what the product is. Brand new in the box and unmodified, it's a mind-bender to say the least, provided we can replicate the previous results form this past week and didn't just have a bad product.

VFORVENDETTA

This is why you should carry your pistol on a sling, in your pants mexican style, or in your hand(if required by law). I think holsters are a waste of money.

deserteagleinyourpants800.jpg

In your hand? Where afganastan?:uhoh:

sultan62

This is why you should carry your pistol on a sling, in your pants mexican style, or in your hand(if required by law). I think holsters are a waste of money.

Am I the only one that read this as sarcasm? Please clarify: Serious or Sarcastic?

Chaingun81

Many Tennessee cities and municipalities require open carry in the hand. Cities which have this as a law keep it to remind blacks to stay in their place. It is a proud racist tradition from 1871.

Require? So you are saying that this is not an option but an ONLY allowed method of open carry in these areas? Wow! I bet cops love it!

As for the other 2 options...

I'll skip the entire sling argument - obviously the best way to carry a rifle, but not a pistol. Now since ATF has it's head up it's ass and classify as a "handgun" what essentially is a semi-auto version of an AK paratrooper carbine, I guess you can call it a pistol. ATF also calls my semi-auto full size AK an "assualt weapon", which is technically just as wrong as a "pistol", so let it be their problem. I described my strong feelings about not carrying these types of arms for personal defense against humans in urban areas in another thread, so I won't get into that one either.

As for the "mexican carry", this obviously a worse option than a holster. No retention, no trigger protection, but a good chance of it falling down your pants or being grabbed or catching something with the trigger and going bang into your leg, etc, etc, etc. There is a reason why only dumbass gangstas do it and everyone else uses holsters.

There are enough holster options out there for every taste and purpose so there is really no reason to carry it "mexican style" and especially saying that it's better.

proud_to_serveUSAF

Are you saying your the first known OCer to be the victim of a gun grab? We really need some details. At least say whether this qualified as a gun grab.

That's not what started the conflict. It started by the guy swinging at me. I'm not really sure what his intention was in grabbing the gun. Whether it was to disarm me or to arm himself, I didn't ask at the end. All I know is when I felt his hand go and tug (his hand was on the slide while we were on the ground) I quickly gained control of his arm and made sure to do the quickest thing I knew how to end it peacefully... choke him out. It could've been he was just grabbing for anything, but when I have a weapon holstered on my side and I'm trying to walk away from a situation and a lunatic starts swinging, I'm not taking any chances to find out what his intentions were.

USMC1986

I'd like to see that done with a blackhawk paddle holster. It takes some serious effort to budge them. This is not even much of an issue. How many times has this happened to people that open carry? If criminals want a gun, they will find easier ways to obtain one without having to pursue an armed man.

simmonsjoe

Did he know you were armed when he started the conflict?

That's not what started the conflict. It started by the guy swinging at me. I'm not really sure what his intention was in grabbing the gun. Whether it was to disarm me or to arm himself, I didn't ask at the end. All I know is when I felt his hand go and tug (his hand was on the slide while we were on the ground) I quickly gained control of his arm and made sure to do the quickest thing I knew how to end it peacefully... choke him out. It could've been he was just grabbing for anything, but when I have a weapon holstered on my side and I'm trying to walk away from a situation and a lunatic starts swinging, I'm not taking any chances to find out what his intentions were.
And were you acting in any type of job that required you to be armed at the time?

If that is a yes on the first and no on the last, I think this qualifies as a gun grab.

proud_to_serveUSAF

And were you acting in any type of job that required you to be armed at the time?

If that is a yes on the first and no on the last, I think this qualifies as a gun grab.

No, I wasn't on any type of job. And he definitely knew I was armed because he kept trying to get under my skin and get me to fight. When I said I wasn't going to fight but I would defend myself if need be, he then responded, "What? You're gonna shoot me? Gotta have a gun to be a big man?" lol Apparently this is something to say in his head to get me to draw my weapon. I'm not really sure. But I'm also not five. I have common sense and the patience of a saint. I don't care how much you say, I'm still not going to fight someone unless it's in self defense. We're not kids anymore and a fight has a lot more punishment than just getting detention. It's not worth it.

nova

because I don't feel like reading through three pages, I'll just repeat what I always say when this video is posted:

The holster in the video is NOT KYDEX. It is a Fobus, which is NOT kydex.

And there are many different types of paddle designs, some a lot more secure (like Serpas) than others.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Well, my suspicion was correct...likely just a bad holster attachment and the issue did not affect another product. We had a Blackhawk Serpa failure 2 weeks ago. Somehow I managed to get the paddle on one of the newer Serpa holsters to sheer off.

What was interesting was where it sheered off. We were working blue-gun exercises for firearm retention and the paddle managed to sheer off at the top where it flexes and bends rather than at the mounting screws like some might have expected.

Confused a bit, I suggested we buy another Serpa and attempt to replicate this on the paddle. I could not replicate the problem on the new holster this weekend, so I think we just had one with a weak paddle...so Blackhawk will get a call for a new paddle attachment RMO so we can send this one back to them.

No way to know if the holster had been caught on something previously and bent upward and away from the body to weaken it and we did not see any whitening in that area prior to starting the exercises. Fortunately, we were smart enough to have a belt attachment in our kit so we could keep rolling with the exercises.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
because I don't feel like reading through three pages, I'll just repeat what I always say when this video is posted:

And there are many different types of paddle designs, some a lot more secure (like Serpas) than others.

It has been alleged that the holster was modified/set up for the video - really don't care much. At the least the wearer cooperated.

This video is sooo old, surprised it has come up again.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

It has been alleged that the holster was modified/set up for the video - really don't care much. At the least the wearer cooperated.

This video is sooo old, surprised it has come up again.

Supposedly the Fobus that was used in the video was one of the early gen holsters. Fobus promptly changed the how the attachment point is built, where the paddle met the holster to correct that particular weak point.

I do not personally know if anyone has tested this since the correction.