• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Butte County CWP

SargentMac

Anyone have experience with getting, or attempting to get, their CWP in Butte County? I'll be moving to the Chico/Paradise area hopefully by the end of the year. I work private security armed in Oregon so I've got plenty of training (we're overseen and trained by the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training who train and certify Oregon LE).

I also have my CWPs for Oregon and Washington. Going from carrying ALL the time to not carry when I leave the house will really suck. I'd really like to get my permit so I want to know what to expect.

Thanks guys (& gals).

Gundude

Anyone have experience with getting, or attempting to get, their CWP in Butte County? I'll be moving to the Chico/Paradise area hopefully by the end of the year. I work private security armed in Oregon so I've got plenty of training (we're overseen and trained by the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training who train and certify Oregon LE).

I also have my CWPs for Oregon and Washington. Going from carrying ALL the time to not carry when I leave the house will really suck. I'd really like to get my permit so I want to know what to expect.

Thanks guys (& gals).

I found this Butte county sheriff page. Here is the link.

http://www.buttecounty.net/SheriffCoroner/~/media/County Images/Sheriff Coroner/PDF/CCW4.ashx

Superlite27

Just curious from out of state:

I noticed that the application guidelines say $162.00 non-refundable fee.

Is this regardless of issuance?

In other words, do you pay the fee and it is non-refundable regardless of whether the Sheriff decides he "may" issue or "may" not?

Or is it only non-refundable if the permit is actually issued?

Because charging a fee and keeping it no matter what seems like a nifty money-maker! Just charge fees and deny all the permits. "Whoo-hoo! Look at all this free money!"

SargentMac

In other words, do you pay the fee and it is non-refundable regardless of whether the Sheriff decides he "may" issue or "may" not?

Because charging a fee and keeping it no matter what seems like a nifty money-maker! Just charge fees and deny all the permits. "Whoo-hoo! Look at all this free money!"

Yes, that's how it works from my understanding. That's why I wanted some feedback from people who've gotten their permit or been denied for one. I also think it's entertaining that I may have to take a class for a permit simply because I was trained outside of the Republic of Kalifornia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be moving closer to my wife's family (she'll be much happier), but the politics and liberalism just scare me. And I'm from Portland.

wewd

Butte County is as close to shall-issue as it gets in California. Don't use any of your armed guard history as a reason for obtaining the CCW. Many guards have been denied CCWs because the police in CA are nervous about rent-a-cops carrying concealed for some reason. Your good cause statement should only reference self/family protection. If they want any history of training with the firearm, you can reference your training and qual cards, and your Oregon CWP, but don't act like just because you are armed on the job that you should be armed on the street too. They don't like that. Just be Joe Citizen who wants to defend himself and his family.

Robin47

I do think a good portion of that "Fee", is refundible, you would have to look into it and research it out.
One guy Ed , found that out, when denied in San Diego I believe, and the sheriff said "Gee " thanks for pointing that out to me. And a part refund was sent to him.
Check it out !
Robin47