• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Next big gun rights battle will be about KNIVES

Dave Workman

Next big gun rights battle may be over knives

...Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. has declared war on pocket knives. We are not talking about switchblades or butterfly knives, gravity knives, daggers or stilettos, but the kind of one-hand-opening pocket knives that have become popular with the majority of shooters, hunters, and other outdoorsmen and women. According to Doug Ritter, executive director of KnifeRights.org, about 80 percent of knife sales today involve this kind of knife...

We are speaking about knives from Buck, Kershaw, Columbia River Knife & Tool, Benchmade, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Gerber and enough other brands to make this an assault on industry as well as private citizens.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...Next-big-gun-rights-battle-may-be-over-knives

Mudjack

Banned
Brits Sell Stab Proof Knives

The war is on in Britain over knives these days. Their government won their war on guns and took them all from citizens. Now, they are working on taking all the knives, too. Lol.

I wonder if they will stop at rounded points and "stab-proof" knives. Once they get those firmly in place -- they will come and take all of those, too, and replace them with "cut-proof" knives. Lol.

For anyone who thinks, "it can't happen here" -- you'd better think again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6501720.ece

JohnH

Google search Maloney, James M. v Rice, Kathleen A. docket# 08-1592

While McDonald took all the headlins on 6-28-10, SCOTUS issued a few remaining orders the following day, 6-29-10. One of them was to remand this case back to the 2nd circuit for further consideration in light of McDonald. This of course is the case over possession of nunchacku. Sotomayor, siting on the 2nd Circuit at the time of this case was first heard there, famously signed onto the opinion that since the 2nd had not been incorporated against the states (at that time), the controlling law was in Slaughterhouse, Cruishank , Presser and Miller v Texas. Sototmayor properly recused herself from hearing this case at SCOTUS. It will be most interesting to see how the 2nd Circuit rules on this case, as that ruling will have more influence over the course of 2nd Amendment law in that district and some sway in others than will any attorneys general opinion and wants.

Been a while since I read the decision, but I do believe that Heller did in fact speak favorably, even if breifly, to arms others than firearms.