• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is the law so tricky, My city says no but state overrides it

Colt 1911

Today I was busy running around city hall area trying figure out can I carry a loaded gun, talked to about everyone and oh my Mother applyed for her CHP ;) so I kept getting the answer well, you can carrying a gun but not loaded, no you can not carry in your car loaded it violates city ordinates. So I was getting confussed, I even talked to state police, they where lost. I talked to my lawyer and they said perfect legal state overrides this.

I found this 15.2-915
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Last edited:

fully_armed_biker

Colt...you're are making this much more difficult than you need to. There is no need to go to city hall to ask "permission" to openly carry a loaded firearm. In the Commonwealth of Virginia, openly carrying a firearm is perfectly legal...where otherwise not prohibitted by law...mainly court houses, within 1000' of K-12 school property, and private property where posted. I've openly carried a loaded firearm in every city in the Tidewater area...from Va Beach to Williamsburg...it's a non issue. Hell, I even sat talking to 2 Suffolk LEO's in a Starbuck's in Harbor View, for a few moments, last week...as they admired my RIA 1911.

...and FWIW...don't EVER ask a LEO for legal advice. You'll get their opinion...not the law!

ETA: I also second ProShooter's advice...if you are that unsure, go to a professional that will explain all of the relevant laws in detail...and get hands on training on using your firearm defensively too.

Last edited:

vbnative73

Jumping on the Bandwagon

I'll reiterate my unanswered question from another post of yours....have you ever thought of taking a class that would explain all of these laws to you, instead of running around asking everyone on the street?

Colt, I'll second that as well. Due to my military service, I am exempt from the training requirement for a CHP. But the military doesn't teach you about Virginia firearms laws. So, when my wife went to her CHP class, I went as well.

Another GREAT way to learn about such issues is to subscribe to VA-Alert offered by the VCDL. The link to subscribe is included below.

http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

But don't be discouraged. My entrance to the OCDO forum didn't go half as well as yours. My very first post to this OPEN CARRY forum was to offer to sell my Glock 17 to anybody who had a CHP. Yeah, that went over like a fart in church.

ODA 226

today i was busy running around city hall area trying figure out can i carry a loaded gun, talked to about everyone and oh my mother applyed for her chp ;) so i kept getting the answer well, you can carrying a gun but not loaded, no you can not carry in your car loaded it violates city ordinates. So i was getting confussed, i even talked to state police, they where lost. I talked to my lawyer and they said perfect legal state overrides this.

I found this 15.2-915

Lasers are bad and the search function is your friend!

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Today I was busy running around city hall area trying figure out can I carry a loaded gun, talked to about everyone and oh my Mother applyed for her CHP ;) so I kept getting the answer well, you can carrying a gun but not loaded, no you can not carry in your car loaded it violates city ordinates. So I was getting confussed, I even talked to state police, they where lost. I talked to my lawyer and they said perfect legal state overrides this.

I found this 15.2-915

Very simply put, open carry is the normal, or default, mode of carrying your defensive sidearm in Virginia. The extra-ordinary method is concealed carry because it requires a permit to do so. I suggest a more thorough review of this site along with the purchase of "The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide" which is available at many gun shops (keeping in mind that some laws have changed recently).

As some have already stated, asking people who work in city hall or similar places, or even police officers is not going to give you what you really need to know. Frankly, you will continue to remain confused by doing this. So spend a bit more time on this forum, research info, and ask questions as needed. You will soon have a wealth of information at your disposal.

And do what ProShooter has suggested. Take a course which goes over these and other related topics. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
l

But don't be discouraged. My entrance to the OCDO forum didn't go half as well as yours. My very first post to this OPEN CARRY forum was to offer to sell my Glock 17 to anybody who had a CHP. Yeah, that went over like a fart in church.

:lol::lol::lol:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I talked to my lawyer and they said perfect legal state overrides this

Some lawyers need gun code training too. Do you have a lawyer (at I think you said 18 years old)? on retainer? or is it some guy you know that is a lawyer?

Many of the questions that you ask have been answered 100's of times on the message board. Do you know how to use the search function?

You have not taken me up on my offer (or even responded) to my offering you some free OC cards that will explain much of the law.

You have not taken Pro Shooter up on his class..

So as politely as I can ask.. dude.. whats yer deal?

KRM59

Some lawyers need gun code training too. Do you have a lawyer (at I think you said 18 years old)? on retainer? or is it some guy you know that is a lawyer?

Many of the questions that you ask have been answered 100's of times on the message board. Do you know how to use the search function?

You have not taken me up on my offer (or even responded) to my offering you some free OC cards that will explain much of the law.

You have not taken Pro Shooter up on his class..

So as politely as I can ask.. dude.. whats yer deal?

i am intrigued have an associates in the louisville , ky area i would be very interested in cards and classes.