Thread: Greater Richmond OC Breakfast - Sat. 7/24 - Multi-Event

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast - Sat. 7/24 - Multi-Event

Announcing the grand return of our OC breakfast tour after a sabbatical of 13 days and nights - VCDL picnic took precedence last Sat.

First event:
    Breakfast at the City Diner on Sat. July 24th at 9:30 AM

Karen’s City Diner
    2237 W Broad St. - Just across Broad St. from main DMV
    Richmond, VA 23220 - Get Directions
    (804) 254-1974

Good food and conversation assured as always.

2nd Event:
    Annual Shockoe Tomato Festival
    City of Richmond - Farmers Market
    11:00 am – 4:00 pm
    100 North 17th Street
    Richmond, VA
    23219-3610

(804) 646-0477‎

Special caravan placement reservations being taken, GSL stickers provided, leave room for tomato sandwiches.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I don't know if I'm gonna make it to this breakfast or the festival. Got a few plans already set, and I think they're pretty much set for the morning time.

Ever since the incident earlier this week Grapeshot has been trying to be more "socially appropriate" in his communications both on-line and in meatspace.

For those who need a translation: we are going to go get 'mater sammiches at the Farmer's Market after breakfast, and are thinking about some sort of carpooling to avoid the parking hassles.

Sad to say, certain "gentleman farmers" may need to be excluded from the outing due to the lack of sufficient doses of medication to cover a foray this deep into The City. Of course, if he brings his own, or his keeper, he will be welcome up until the time it becomes necessary to disavow any knowlege of his existence and activate the automatic self-destruct mechanism on the tape recorder.

Side trips to Cha-Cha's Cantina may be arranged through individual guides after posting bail funds with the tour leaders. No guarantee we will not spend your bail money on more 'mater sammiches.

stay safe.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Any shade at that festival? Forecast is for 100-degree temps before heat index is calculated. But the clan still hasn't ruled it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Any shade at that festival? Forecast is for 100-degree temps before heat index is calculated. But the clan still hasn't ruled it out.
    The Farmer's Market location has covered areas. Vendors at the festival will be set up under them but there should be some areas of relief:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34639055
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/31569648

Stuff like that.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Ever since the incident earlier this week Grapeshot has been trying to be more "socially appropriate" in his communications both on-line and in meatspace.

For those who need a translation: we are going to go get 'mater sammiches at the Farmer's Market after breakfast, and are thinking about some sort of carpooling to avoid the parking hassles.

Sad to say, certain "gentleman farmers" may need to be excluded from the outing due to the lack of sufficient doses of medication to cover a foray this deep into The City. Of course, if he brings his own, or his keeper, he will be welcome up until the time it becomes necessary to disavow any knowlege of his existence and activate the automatic self-destruct mechanism on the tape recorder.

Side trips to Cha-Cha's Cantina may be arranged through individual guides after posting bail funds with the tour leaders. No guarantee we will not spend your bail money on more 'mater sammiches.

stay safe.
    I'm planning on coming back tomorrow night so I think I'll be there.
    I have an end of the world supply of low dose Aspirin. I'm good to go.

I think Jane's going to a reunion which I don't want to go to anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    101 but it's hotter at the farm unless I get down by the river.

I'm with Skid..., love those 'mater sammiches, umm umm good!!! Only trouble is..., I gotta work this Saturday morning!!! Do you believe that? I'm not sure I'm qualified in the daylight!!! Oh well, we'll see, but you folks have a great time, even if it is in Richmond, and too near "Wee Wee's Cantina". I guess that's why it's called "Style Weekly" instead of "Class Weekly", then again maybe "Style Weakly" would be more appropriate.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

The River City Diner (not the breakfast place) is right around the corner from the Farmer's Market for relief from the heat and to sit a spell while sippin' an iced tea with a twist.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Did you know they fired the manager at Paraham road?

Will be OC'ing on Hatteras this weekend...

..so won't be able to make it. Skidmark, I will be perusing your graciously lent literature as my beach read.
    Plan to do some fishing, so wish me luck.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    ..so won't be able to make it. Skidmark, I will be perusing your graciously lent literature as my beach read.
    Plan to do some fishing, so wish me luck.
    Have a great weekend everyone!
    Good timing!
    After Bonnie goes around Florida you might be catching Sardines in BP Oil.

Talking Count Me In

Count me and my traveling companion in for Breakfast. Possibly for the festival. You'll have to convince him to come for awhile : )

I'm in the burbs so I'll definitely be there.

It hit 108 today. I'm looking forward to a good walkabout tomorrow. I'll have to take two pairs of sunglasses

Good breakfast and interesting follow up.

Skid had a pre-meeting stare down with a Richmond PD K9 officer. Peter showed off his new video cam sunglasses. John and Clumsy wore matching gray T-shirts, although I didn't see the altitude claimed.

We were identified by another patron as being VCDL members and thanked for what we do.

At the Farmer's Market, the usual festival crowds were lacking - it was actually comfortable in the shade. Had a number of nice conversations including one with event "staff" who asked if we had a booth - think he was leading up to a no soliciting thing. Told him no to the booth, just looking to buy a tomato sandwich and giving stickers to all that ask for them -there more than just a few.

He led us to a "friend" that gladly made me a mater sammich equal to the one from the Hanover Tomato Festival for half the price so my day was made. The lady at this booth put a GSL sticker on her cash box so that every time it was opened there was that big orange ball staring at the customer.

Peter bought a peace offering for his better half and we left for cooler climes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Skid had a pre-meeting stare down with a Richmond PD K9 officer. Peter showed off his new video cam sunglasses. John and Clumsy wore matching gray T-shirts, although I didn't see the altitude claimed.

We were identified by another patron as being VCDL members and thanked for what we do.

At the Farmer's Market, the usual festival crowds were lacking - it was actually comfortable in the shade. Had a number of nice conversations including one with event "staff" who asked if we had a booth - think he was leading up to a no soliciting thing. Told him no to the booth, just looking to buy a tomato sandwich and giving stickers to all that ask for them -there more than just a few.

He led us to a "friend" that gladly made me a mater sammich equal to the one from the Hanover Tomato Festival for half the price so my day was made. The lady at this booth put a GSL sticker on her cash box so that every time it was opened there was that big orange ball staring at the customer.

Peter bought a peace offering for his better half and we left for cooler climes.
    If I ever get a clear signal
    I might have a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

They weren't matching, just both gray. And I saw the altitude, that's all that matters.

And he'll no longer be joining me as he's no longer even speaking to me :_(