• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: You do not need to check other weapons at a court house

Aaron1124

Many people have been under the impression that they cannot carry O.C. protection spray, small pocket knives and taser devices in a court room. There are actually no state laws that prohibit any of this.

The R.C.W. that covers weapons in court room gives a description of the weapons that are not allowed. Besides firearms, the other weapons not allowed in the court room are listed in that chapter; and tasers, O.C. sprays are not included.

I am posting this incase anyone here as been asked by court staff to disarm themselves of their taser or O.C. sprays before passing through the detector.

Now this does not mean certain municipalities may not create ordinances on taser devices, although the only one I know of that has a ban is Bellingham. O.C. sprays are preempted by state law, and are not restricted anywhere in the state.

Personal protection spray laws are to be found here - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.91.160

Phssthpok

Firearms law is preempted by the state. Other weapons are NOT. therefore, a courthouse would be within their legal authority to prohibit other weapons if it so chooses.

If a courthouse demands that you disarm, you have no legal recourse (yet).

Aaron1124

Firearms law is preempted by the state. Other weapons are NOT. therefore, a courthouse would be within their legal authority to prohibit other weapons if it so chooses.

O.C. Spray is preempted on a state level. The court, itself, cannot prohibit the weapons on the premises without local law backing it up. Only the city council has the legal authority to pass local ordinances. You'd have to check your city or counties municipal/county code regarding weapon possession in the court facilities.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Actually as Aaron said and even CITED, OC spray devices ARE preempted this doesnt just include a courthouse but also applies to public k-12 schools (yes even students over 14 with parent permission) , public universities, public transportation agencies, city hall and ANY government or quasi government institution.

RCW 9.91.160

(2)No town, city, county, special purpose district, quasi-municipal corporation or other unit of government may prohibit a person eighteen years old or older, or a person fourteen years old or older who has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, from purchasing or possessing a personal protection spray device or from using such a device in a manner consistent with the authorized use of force under RCW 9A.16.020. No town, city, county, special purpose district, quasi-municipal corporation, or other unit of government may prohibit a person eighteen years old or older from delivering a personal protection spray device to a person authorized to possess such a device.

Lammo

Oddly enough, the Spokane County Courthouse recently posted notices that knives would no longer be allowed in the building as of August 9, 2010. That's still a ways away so I hadn't researched it yet but since you posted this I thought I'd mention it. I fully expect a major knife attack on August 6th, the last lawful business day for knives, since we know no one would ever violate a sign forbidding knives in the courthouse. :)