• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Becoming Easier in Yakima

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
When I returned to Yakima 1 1/2 years ago, there were many calls of MWAG almost daily in Yakima.
YPD was having an emphasis patrols on gang activity and a customer called in with a MWAG at Starbucks at Fred Meyers and by the time I arrived to see what was going on there were 6 Patrol Cars with several Officers swarming around.
It was found that the call from from a patron and not an employee and that the person was no longer there and apparently there just for a cup of coffee and off they went.

I talked with the Chief of YPD on this issue and it was referred to 911 and in essence it was shinned on and then ignored.

About a year later an incident occurred with a member in which he was threatened about open carry and thought it was YPD but it was YSO instead.
I contacted the Chief about this incident and he referred it to the City Attorney where a training bulletin was sent out and training setup for this month (I will be obtaining a copy here soon).

I see this is already affecting calls with a MWAG comes in as Officers are asking questions as was it pointed at someone?, was it in a holster?, did they threaten someone? all indications the information and mood is getting out there not to harass the law abiding. Prior to this a all out response was on its way.

Even in the recent thread at Walmart in Yakima when YPD was called they advised them that they would not respond just to a MWAG unless something illegal occurred.

Machoduck

Good news for sure, Dave. Thanks for the update.

It sounds as if Yakima, City and County, has surpassed King County and Seattle in sensible response procedures. I have it on good authority that local 911 sends a car to every MWAG complaint, no questions asked. This seems like a waste of scarce resources, especially after lay-offs but I certainly don't have the total picture.

MD

Ruby

A little OT

Hi BigDave, it's Ruby. I was at the Sports Authority (I think that was the name of it) the other day,in Issaquah, back in the (small) gun department. A gentleman was there waiting to be helped and we struck up a conversation. Turns out he was from Yakima. We were talking about guns, crime, etc. and he said something that really shocked me.:uhoh: I have never been to Yakima, but he said that as small as it is, there was something like 30 or 33 murders there, either last year or this year, I'm not sure. He was there to buy a motion sensor camera. I asked if he was trying to catch the 2 legged critters or the 4 legged critters and he said both. Apparently there is some degree of other crimes as well, such as property theft. When you have time, let me know what your take on this is, please. Thanks. True or not, take care and stay safe!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Ruby I will try and make this short and will take it to PM for more questions.

Yakima for it's size has a very high crime rate to include homicide which mainly are gang related.
There are several Gangs in Yakima and the vast majority is gang on gang and mixed with a concentration of illegal immigrants do to the farm labor demand in Yakima County.

At one point this year we were ahead of Seattle in homicides, I am not sure the running total right now.

Yakima per capita was in the top 3 in the nation but this year we dropped to like 6th lol.

Yakima list their crime here at Crime Mapping

Ruby

Ruby I will try and make this short and will take it to PM for more questions.

Yakima for it's size has a very high crime rate to include homicide which mainly are gang related.
There are several Gangs in Yakima and the vast majority is gang on gang and mixed with a concentration of illegal immigrants do to the farm labor demand in Yakima County.

At one point this year we were ahead of Seattle in homicides, I am not sure the running total right now.

Yakima per capita was in the top 3 in the nation but this year we dropped to like 6th lol.

Yakima list their crime here at Crime Mapping
Thanks for the info, not trying to hijack the thread. Stay safe.

Just Us

bigdave wrote:
(Yakima for it's size has a very high crime rate to include homicide which mainly are gang related.
There are several Gangs in Yakima and the vast majority is gang on gang and mixed with a concentration of illegal immigrants do to the farm labor demand in Yakima County.)

This very true for yakima afternoon and beyond it is very appearant in alot of sections.

cynicist

All of Yakima County is like that. There's been two drive by homicides in Sunnyside (population 14k) in the past couple weeks, and crimereports.com shows shootings at about 3 a week as far back as it goes. There's more than a "few" gangs in Yakima, nwgangs.com shows about 40 active gangs in Yakima. With the spike of violence this summer, police are putting more of an emphasis on the gang problem, it just wouldn't seem rational for the police to really do anything other than say hi about open carry. But then again, they still arrest people for violating marijuana prohibition.
The one time I got stopped in Sunnyside for semi-concealed carry there wasn't much of an issue once it was verified that I did have a license and it wasn't stolen. One of them stuck around for a minute talking gun after they gave it back. (He had never seen a Hi-Point, and I explained that my other gun was in the shop. Which was true.)