• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry

NRAMARINE

In light of recent SCOTUS decisions regarding the Second Ammendment, should we begin to pursue constitutional carry laws such as the ones enacted in Arizona? Would this not be in line not only with the recent rulings, but more importantly in line with the language of the constitution,and the intent of the founders?

Gentlemen start your engines!!!

oldgoat

In light of recent SCOTUS decisions regarding the Second Ammendment, should we begin to pursue constitutional carry laws such as the ones enacted in Arizona? Would this not be in line not only with the recent rulings, but more importantly in line with the language of the constitution,and the intent of the founders?

I've written to my local Representative Danahy, a few times already this year, on that very subject.
I didn't get a response, but I feel like I planted a seed, If some others would begin to do that same thing, that seed might germinate. Just one person writing to just one rep. is a waste of time.

estcrh

I've written to my local Representative Danahy, a few times already this year, on that very subject.
I didn't get a response, but I feel like I planted a seed, If some others would begin to do that same thing, that seed might germinate. Just one person writing to just one rep. is a waste of time.
Unfortunately the average La. citizen is not any were close to being as tolerant of fire arms in public as the average Az. citizen is...I have owned property for over 20 yrs thats a few miles from John McCain's 'Sedona Az." house and I have not heard of even one "mwag" call from a resident ever. People open carry and go about their business with out stares or comments, its common to see bikers carrying on the road...its just a different atmosphere there and politicians are pandering to it in order to get votes...now Az. has no permit needed to conceal carry. La. politicians would be afraid to upset the older voters here, the same ones who call the police the minute they spot someone with a gun.

me812

In light of recent SCOTUS decisions regarding the Second Ammendment, should we begin to pursue constitutional carry laws such as the ones enacted in Arizona?

Yes.

It seems to me that the more pro-gun states of Deep South and Mountain West will be ripe for this kind of legislation after they see that Arizona--a state with a large urban population--has passed it and the sky hasn't fallen.

In fact, I predict that most states here in the Mountain West will soon follow suit with Arizona. The next one will probably be either New Mexico or Montana, given their current laws.

sraacke

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Here's why. Recently a State Rep wanted to allow CHP holders to be allowed to carry a concealed handgun inside churches. The simple thing would have simply had the bill read that Churches be removed from the list of prohibited places. Instead we had a bunch of argueinng and having to disguise it by saying that CHP holders would be Super Church Security Tatical Crisis Response Unit members. The people who want to be part of this elite Chuck Norris like force would have to take 8 hours of TACTICAL training every year and be recognised by their Pastor as a member of their Church Security Team. Critics were concerned about CHPers opening fire in crowded churches and said they need this special training to prevent Gods children from being mowed down by stray bullets. Of course, nobody could point out why a carrying in a church needs this extra training but carrying in places just as crowded such as a Movie Theater, a resturant or even Wal-Mart on a Sunday morning don't need the same TACTICAL class.
So with this public thinking in mind, now imagine a congressman sitting in the capital in Baton Rouge putting this in a Bill and presenting it to the delegation. Carry without a Permit, Classes or Fees?!?!?!?!?! Oh, Zeus! The media would spin that out of control. You would have people throwing themselves in front of trains in fear of the repercussions of such a bill being signed into law.

charlie12

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Here's why. Recently a State Rep wanted to allow CHP holders to be allowed to carry a concealed handgun inside churches. The simple thing would have simply had the bill read that Churches be removed from the list of prohibited places. Instead we had a bunch of argueinng and having to disguise it by saying that CHP holders would be Super Church Security Tatical Crisis Response Unit members. The people who want to be part of this elite Chuck Norris like force would have to take 8 hours of TACTICAL training every year and be recognised by their Pastor as a member of their Church Security Team. Critics were concerned about CHPers opening fire in crowded churches and said they need this special training to prevent Gods children from being mowed down by stray bullets. Of course, nobody could point out why a carrying in a church needs this extra training but carrying in places just as crowded such as a Movie Theater, a resturant or even Wal-Mart on a Sunday morning don't need the same TACTICAL class.
So with this public thinking in mind, now imagine a congressman sitting in the capital in Baton Rouge putting this in a Bill and presenting it to the delegation. Carry without a Permit, Classes or Fees?!?!?!?!?! Oh, Zeus! The media would spin that out of control. You would have people throwing themselves in front of trains in fear of the repercussions of such a bill being signed into law.

Yep that is a crazy and bad new law.

georg jetson

Can you post a link to the laws you speak of?

estcrh

Montana came up with that first, we just followed their lead.
The national spotlight has been on Az. though due to all the pro gun laws being acted upon in a short period of time. Other states are now seeing that its possible to change things around in a short period of time...how this relates to La. is the question...people here are not used to things changing fast.

NRAMARINE

True statements all. People do resist change, and judging by what's going on in DC sometimes that is for the best. However negative change can be the catalyst for even more positive change. For example waking everyone up to their true freedoms and the actual limitations of the federal govt. One voice can become two, then thunder.

I can't find the link to the actual text, but the Az. law basically legalized carry of a firearm by all those legally owning a firearm with no permits of any kind required. That means cc, oc or anything in between.