Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Flint police may be improving in attitude about OC after all

  1. #1
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143

    Flint police may be improving in attitude about OC after all

    I went to the police station today to register a handgun when I walked in, an older officer working the desk was explaining to a couple of young officers that OC was legal. The younger ones asked how it was, and he was explaining that is was never illegal, and that the flint law HAD to change, as it couldn't be enforced.

    One of the young ones, a female, asked what was carrying, he explained that as long as it was holstered, and not in a hand being waved around, it was legal, he then got his out and demonstrated what brandishing was.

    I dared not interrupt, and waited until he was done explaining, and thanked him, asked my question and then left.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15
    For the record, I interviewed a very pro-gun flint officer a few months ago for my research. I haven't gone back over his interview yet, but he was not only fairly well-versed in OC but also was pretty much in support of it...to be honest though, the interview wasn't exclusively on OC, so I didn't get into a lot of details on OC with him.

    obviously i can't make any blanket statements about the department, but i can say for a fact that they have at least one very 2A friendly officer.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I wouldn't mind seeing that interview.

  4. #4
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533
    I wasn't aware flint police had a bad attitude about ocing?

    I open carry all over flint, namely downtown, at the bars, the loft, the torch, I've had multiple encounters with many flint city
    officers, none of them negative.

    just curious where the idea came from that they need improvement?

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    I wasn't aware flint police had a bad attitude about ocing?

    I open carry all over flint, namely downtown, at the bars, the loft, the torch, I've had multiple encounters with many flint city
    officers, none of them negative.

    just curious where the idea came from that they need improvement?

    I think some have assumed that BC some members of the Flint City Council are acting silly that the Police would too.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    i didn't have any problem with flint either, but that was many moons ago, say the gander mountian seminar at hall road. not sure on the date, i went to visit an ex up there and it was my second time OC we went to chilis, and a movie i may have posted about this on MOC forum. the guard at the movie theatre eye balled me for about an hour before the movie started, we had her daughter and we let her play in a small video game are the the theatre, which i think wasn't actually in flint.

    and i don't think that its the police department that is our issue, its the city council. IMO we need to be present at the coucil meeting. show the colors, and see what kind of reaction is recieved, have they passed that ordinance about no guns? i would be interested to know that.

  7. #7
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533
    those places are in flint township, which is different than city, flint township I have had no interactions with LEO, however I have heard they are well aware of oc

  8. #8
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143
    well, the two younger officers where upset at the fact that OC was legal. They where floored that we could carry.

    The older officer even had to draw his weapon and show them what brandishing was.

    He also seemed very perplexed, you know, that look on your face when you are in an argument and the other side won't see your way.

    In the end, he got his point across, and was very polite to me, and smiled, I felt great hearing him school them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member fozzy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    Did you OC into the police station?
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

  10. #10
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143
    No, but the conversation was in progress. I was on the way home from work, where guns are a no go.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    You should still have it in your car. Conformance to such rules and laws only encourages and promotes them.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143
    Yeah, for sure. I am in the process of finding a different hospital to work at. Mine can randomly search cars of employees. I am also getting a safe installed in the back to I can store it safely.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Randomly searching my vehicle would be a very very bad idea.

  14. #14
    Regular Member cmdr_iceman71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    Yeah, for sure. I am in the process of finding a different hospital to work at. Mine can randomly search cars of employees. I am also getting a safe installed in the back to I can store it safely.
    Yes, my employer too reserves the right to randomly inspect itís employees vehicles as long as they're on the clientís property. Of course we can always refuse, but then that would result in an automatic termination. So to circumvent this I simply donít park on the clientís property and thus Iím out of their jurisdiction. Yes itís a little inconvenient that I have to walk a little further to get to my vehicle when coming and going to work but itís nothing compared to the inconvenience of needing your handgun and not having it.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

  15. #15
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    You should still have it in your car. Conformance to such rules and laws only encourages and promotes them.
    Really? Keeping his job and staying out of jail is a bad thing? There are ways to fight rules and laws the correct way. You should stop recommending people violate rules and laws. Just because you have doesn't mean they should!!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143
    I am not breaking any rules that cost me the ability to feed my kids. They say weapons are a no go, then they are a no go until I can find a new employer.

    Also, I work at a certain hospital in this city in a horrible part of town, if I park off property, my car will be stolen in no time. That's a no go.

    As is now, just grin and bear it.

    I support OC and 2A, I preach the cause because I believe in my right to protection, not because I want to force my views, or am a fanatic about OC. I also agree that private property laws rule, it's my choice to work there and obey or not. I expect people in my home to follow what few rules I have, because it's my property. I am not going to be a hippocrit and disrespect someone else's private property rights while expecting mine to be followed.

    I need a job, so I obey. As soon as I can get a job in my field where I can carry, I will.

  17. #17
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    I am not breaking any rules that cost me the ability to feed my kids. They say weapons are a no go, then they are a no go until I can find a new employer.

    Also, I work at a certain hospital in this city in a horrible part of town, if I park off property, my car will be stolen in no time. That's a no go.

    As is now, just grin and bear it.

    I support OC and 2A, I preach the cause because I believe in my right to protection, not because I want to force my views, or am a fanatic about OC. I also agree that private property laws rule, it's my choice to work there and obey or not. I expect people in my home to follow what few rules I have, because it's my property. I am not going to be a hippocrit and disrespect someone else's private property rights while expecting mine to be followed.

    I need a job, so I obey. As soon as I can get a job in my field where I can carry, I will.
    +1 to you, this is how responsible citizens act

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    That line of thinking has its limits. If people diddnt refuse to follow BS, then women wouldnt be able to vote, blacks would be in chains, and we would have to drive at 55 on the highway.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    143
    wow. OC of firearms is in the echelon of the struggle of slaves to obtain ANY rights eh? Wow, just wow.

    Not taking being whipped until you back bled, or you died, having your kids sold, going to jail for not getting off a sidewalk is the same class as OC rights?

    Um, I am out of this thread, have fun with that view. As a man whose mother was beaten up by cops for not getting off a side walk, and a father whose parents survived the Holocaust, I disagree with you.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Then you should know full well that gun control has its roots in racism and slavery. So to answer your question, (OC of firearms is in the echelon of the struggle of slaves to obtain ANY rights eh?) Yes. Absolutely it does. OC also came before CC.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    wow. OC of firearms is in the echelon of the struggle of slaves to obtain ANY rights eh? Wow, just wow.
    Gun control laws in Tennessee were designed to control blacks.

  22. #22
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    Gun control laws in Tennessee were designed to control blacks.
    Most US gun laws in fact.
    http://www.lizmichael.com/racistgc.htm
    Bam, I like saying bam when I site something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  23. #23
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    "No Guns for African Americanes" from Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership
    Part 1
    Part 2

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Ė Thomas Paine

  24. #24
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    As a man whose mother was beaten up by cops for not getting off a side walk, and a father whose parents survived the Holocaust, I disagree with you.
    I'm sorry that your mother was treated so and I respect your right to disagree but there are people on this very board who have been forced to the ground by police and had guns drawn on them for the lawful exercise of a constitutionally guaranteed right to possess a firearm.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Ė Thomas Paine

  25. #25
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by bronson View Post
    i'm sorry that your mother was treated so and i respect your right to disagree but there are people on this very board who have been forced to the ground by police and had guns drawn on them for the lawful exercise of a constitutionally guaranteed right to possess a firearm.

    Bronson
    Comment removed by moderator for rules violation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •