• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flint police may be improving in attitude about OC after all

Slave

I went to the police station today to register a handgun when I walked in, an older officer working the desk was explaining to a couple of young officers that OC was legal. The younger ones asked how it was, and he was explaining that is was never illegal, and that the flint law HAD to change, as it couldn't be enforced.

One of the young ones, a female, asked what was carrying, he explained that as long as it was holstered, and not in a hand being waved around, it was legal, he then got his out and demonstrated what brandishing was.

I dared not interrupt, and waited until he was done explaining, and thanked him, asked my question and then left.

CarlottaValdez

For the record, I interviewed a very pro-gun flint officer a few months ago for my research. I haven't gone back over his interview yet, but he was not only fairly well-versed in OC but also was pretty much in support of it...to be honest though, the interview wasn't exclusively on OC, so I didn't get into a lot of details on OC with him.

obviously i can't make any blanket statements about the department, but i can say for a fact that they have at least one very 2A friendly officer.

kyleplusitunes

I wasn't aware flint police had a bad attitude about ocing?

I open carry all over flint, namely downtown, at the bars, the loft, the torch, I've had multiple encounters with many flint city
officers, none of them negative.

just curious where the idea came from that they need improvement?

autosurgeon

I wasn't aware flint police had a bad attitude about ocing?

I open carry all over flint, namely downtown, at the bars, the loft, the torch, I've had multiple encounters with many flint city
officers, none of them negative.

just curious where the idea came from that they need improvement?

I think some have assumed that BC some members of the Flint City Council are acting silly that the Police would too.

NHCGRPR45

i didn't have any problem with flint either, but that was many moons ago, say the gander mountian seminar at hall road. not sure on the date, i went to visit an ex up there and it was my second time OC we went to chilis, and a movie i may have posted about this on MOC forum. the guard at the movie theatre eye balled me for about an hour before the movie started, we had her daughter and we let her play in a small video game are the the theatre, which i think wasn't actually in flint.

and i don't think that its the police department that is our issue, its the city council. IMO we need to be present at the coucil meeting. show the colors, and see what kind of reaction is recieved, have they passed that ordinance about no guns? i would be interested to know that.

kyleplusitunes

those places are in flint township, which is different than city, flint township I have had no interactions with LEO, however I have heard they are well aware of oc

Slave

well, the two younger officers where upset at the fact that OC was legal. They where floored that we could carry.

The older officer even had to draw his weapon and show them what brandishing was.

He also seemed very perplexed, you know, that look on your face when you are in an argument and the other side won't see your way.

In the end, he got his point across, and was very polite to me, and smiled, I felt great hearing him school them.

Slave

Yeah, for sure. I am in the process of finding a different hospital to work at. Mine can randomly search cars of employees. I am also getting a safe installed in the back to I can store it safely.

cmdr_iceman71

Yeah, for sure. I am in the process of finding a different hospital to work at. Mine can randomly search cars of employees. I am also getting a safe installed in the back to I can store it safely.

Yes, my employer too reserves the right to randomly inspect it’s employees vehicles as long as they're on the client’s property. Of course we can always refuse, but then that would result in an automatic termination. So to circumvent this I simply don’t park on the client’s property and thus I’m out of their jurisdiction. Yes it’s a little inconvenient that I have to walk a little further to get to my vehicle when coming and going to work but it’s nothing compared to the inconvenience of needing your handgun and not having it.

sprinklerguy28

You should still have it in your car. Conformance to such rules and laws only encourages and promotes them.

Really? Keeping his job and staying out of jail is a bad thing? There are ways to fight rules and laws the correct way. You should stop recommending people violate rules and laws. Just because you have doesn't mean they should!!!

Slave

I am not breaking any rules that cost me the ability to feed my kids. They say weapons are a no go, then they are a no go until I can find a new employer.

Also, I work at a certain hospital in this city in a horrible part of town, if I park off property, my car will be stolen in no time. That's a no go.

As is now, just grin and bear it.

I support OC and 2A, I preach the cause because I believe in my right to protection, not because I want to force my views, or am a fanatic about OC. I also agree that private property laws rule, it's my choice to work there and obey or not. I expect people in my home to follow what few rules I have, because it's my property. I am not going to be a hippocrit and disrespect someone else's private property rights while expecting mine to be followed.

I need a job, so I obey. As soon as I can get a job in my field where I can carry, I will.

sprinklerguy28

I am not breaking any rules that cost me the ability to feed my kids. They say weapons are a no go, then they are a no go until I can find a new employer.

Also, I work at a certain hospital in this city in a horrible part of town, if I park off property, my car will be stolen in no time. That's a no go.

As is now, just grin and bear it.

I support OC and 2A, I preach the cause because I believe in my right to protection, not because I want to force my views, or am a fanatic about OC. I also agree that private property laws rule, it's my choice to work there and obey or not. I expect people in my home to follow what few rules I have, because it's my property. I am not going to be a hippocrit and disrespect someone else's private property rights while expecting mine to be followed.

I need a job, so I obey. As soon as I can get a job in my field where I can carry, I will.

+1 to you, this is how responsible citizens act

Slave

wow. OC of firearms is in the echelon of the struggle of slaves to obtain ANY rights eh? Wow, just wow.

Not taking being whipped until you back bled, or you died, having your kids sold, going to jail for not getting off a sidewalk is the same class as OC rights?

Um, I am out of this thread, have fun with that view. As a man whose mother was beaten up by cops for not getting off a side walk, and a father whose parents survived the Holocaust, I disagree with you.

stainless1911

Banned
Then you should know full well that gun control has its roots in racism and slavery. So to answer your question, (OC of firearms is in the echelon of the struggle of slaves to obtain ANY rights eh?) Yes. Absolutely it does. OC also came before CC.