• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Assemssment: How to defeat the "Anti's"

merc460

I found something thanks to a thread bump from someone else that would (I think) be GREAT for a public relations pamphlet.
It was posted by "gogodawgs" and I think it is really a soft but very direct way getting the point across......

gogodawgs said:
MILLIONMOMMARCH wrote:
To many of you people suddenly go beserk and stark shooting everyone.

For the last 20 years, I have stood next to you in line at the grocery store, at the coffee shop and while picking up my daughters from school. We have said hello, talked about the news of the day. I was the PTA President for a couple of years. You know me, and I am a kind, nice, gentle man who is considerate and thoughtful. You know that I have never and will never go 'beserk'. What you don't realize is that for the last 20 years is that I have concealed a handgun just inches from you and nothing has ever happened. Last year I began taking my jacket off and have come out of the closet. I will not hide from you or deceive you anymore, I have a firearm on my hip everyday.

MILLIONMOMMARCH wrote:
Only police should have guns!
I have never been a police officer, I have never been in the military, I am an American citizen and I have the right and responsibility to take care of myself from the millions of criminals that prey on citizens.

MILLIONMOMMARCH wrote:
That is untill you get drunk, do drugs and then kill you wife and other people. All because you had "a bad day".
I don't 'get drunk', I have never done drugs, perhaps you are referring to people who are already criminals. I am an optimist and I don't have 'a bad day', I live with great optimism and love life, that is why I am so adamant in protecting mine.

MILLIONMOMMARCH wrote:
mentaly ill that you feel you need a gun!
I can assure you I am not mentally ill, that is part of the background check that takes place to obtain my Concealed Pistol License. I am not violent either, I have never been in a fight or been aggressive towards anyone.

MILLIONMOMMARCH wrote:

realy makes me mad is the people that are "open carrying"!

You are not police so stop acting like one and intimidating people in the public!

I will open carry because I am tired of living in the closet, people like you should know that upstanding men and women that you know and have known for 20 years own and carry firearms to protect themselves.

I have never and will never act like police. Their jobs are extremely tough, they seek out criminals and I seek to avoid criminals. When criminals seem me open carrying they avoid me and leave, let's keep it that way. I do not intimidate people in public, I go about my life just the same as I did for the last 20 years next to you at the grocery store, I just do so now with my jacket off.

Again, I have known you for the last 20 years and you have known me. I challenge you to have an open mind and an open heart and embrace those who love themselves and their families enough to take on the serious responsibility of self defense. I doubt that you have an open mind as expressed by your intolerance. Your social bigotry is a sad state of your ignorance and your inability to process the facts of gun ownership over the emotional garbage that you and the Brady Bunch spew to the American people.

However, I will still smile and be nice, kind, polite and professional when we talk about our kids at the local coffee shop.

I think this would be a GREAT start, an edited variant of this would be perfect. Since a lot of people instantly relate gun=bad, but if they could relate a neighbor, friend, barber, baseball coach they have known to be a upstanding person was pro2A then they would be more apt to listen with an open mind.
Just my thoughts.

XD40coyote

As gun owners we have the same problem as hunters and trappers have vs anti groups. As people we don't tend to like to go out and muckety-muck in other people's faces, most of us have jobs and families, so we can't do protest marches all the time and whatnot and in large enough #'s to be noticed. And even if we did, the media isn't on our side. They trash people like us by calling us " right wing wackos" or "gun toting cowboys". When our side tries to stand up, our voices get lost in the loud noise of the MSM.

Then there is the fact that simple truth doesn't seem to interest people, but rediculous lies and half truths by the other side do. Emotion+ lies= getting the attention of the "lamestream" people. Let's take a better look at the emotional part of the tactic- we CAN use that, but who can afford the billboards, TV ads, magazine ads, etc? The NRA can afford it, but they would first have to clean their closets out and get the PR that is the NRA onto the track it should be on. Most "lamestream" people think the NRA is the bogeyman, a mean baby eating ogre, and a kitten crushing machine. Yes, it is a combo of "Brady Taint", MSM poison, and the NRA itself that got them to this point. They need a fresh new slate.

We are too polite. We aren't batchit crazy enough to keep contacting our elected reps in large #'s, day after day, week after week.

Not enough vocal "minorities" in our ranks. How about loads of women, blacks, legal immigrants who have become citizens and love the 2A,etc, to make a fussy-fuss?

MSM painting us as bogeymen, baby eating ogres, and kitten crushers... what more need I say? They use terms like " rightwing", "conservative", "Republican",and even "Christian" as if they are dirty words, and that all gun owners are these dirty words. They will also use terms like "redneck" and "hillbilly", and use it in the context of meaning " poor uneducated beer guzzling white trash". Many of us don't fit these terms to begin with, wether used as "dirty words" or not. When a "new" term comes along such as "libertarian", or "tea party", what does the MSM do? We just crushed a few more kittens and ate another baby.

Each of these following influences need to have something happen to CHANGE, to wake up the "lamestream":
-Hollywood- movies and TV shows have ALOT of influence
-Women's magazines and women's groups- they are too Oprah-like. Why do they not include gun ownership as a way for a woman to protect herself?
-Police depts/ LEO agencies- we need them on our side and speaking up for us- in all localities. Are the police academies teaching recruits to see gun owners as an enemy? Why? If sheriffs are elected, why don't they speak up in more places? Why are there anti gun sheriffs, such as in CA? Why don't police chiefs in all localities urge people to get guns and learn the basics, and teach people about the self defense laws?
The NAACP- what in blazes is wrong with these folks? They are totally corrupted and need a cleanup. MLK must be rolling in his grave. Jim Crow started the gun control laws- so why aren't black leaders working to be rid of them?
Jewish groups- the big mainstream ones. Another collective group one wants to say WTF about. Warsaw Ghetto anyone? Lets see, the Nazis did WHAT after coming into power? Oh yeah, took guns away from the jews. Then it went really downhill from there. And these jewish groups that are anti gun consider JPFO to be nutballs?
AARP-older people should be armed, as they are often targeted simply due to being old and seen as weak. Why is AARP anti gun?
AAA- I have never seen a thing in their magazine about traveling with your sidearm, states reciprocity,etc. Are they anti gun? If so, why?
ACLU- what in blazes....?

BTW- I think the biggest thing that can happen to change even semi rabid antis is....

...to take them to a range! It seems every time I read or hear about "xx coworker who is anti gun/one day they inquired about going to the range with me", I see the result is another gun owner. Or at least someone who wakes up and smells the Starbucks coffee.

There ya go Dreamer, you got me writing long texts on the subject now!

Last edited:

Dreamer

-Hollywood
-Women's magazines and women's groups
-Police depts/ LEO agencies
-The NAACP
-Jewish groups
-AARP
-AAA
-ACLU

What do ALL these groups have in common?

They ALL take funding (grants, advertising, charitable contributions, etc) from big international Foundations like Rockefeller and Soros. They support what "the money" supports, and in this case, that is complete civilian disarmament...

BTW- I think the biggest thing that can happen to change even semi rabid antis is....

...to take them to a range! It seems every time I read or hear about "xx coworker who is anti gun/one day they inquired about going to the range with me", I see the result is another gun owner. Or at least someone who wakes up and smells the Starbucks coffee.

There ya go Dreamer, you got me writing long texts on the subject now!

Yes, taking people to the range is a GREAT way to win converts. Even the most rabid "anti" can change their mind about guns after an afternoon with a rimfire rifle or pistol. They migh tnot want to go buy their own gun, but many of them--after an educational, enjoyable, and enlightening experience will come to realize that it's NOT the guns that just magically jump up and kill people...

As for your long response, thank you! I love it when peopl eput some thought into posts--it shows that I've got their gears turning. We need to start THINKING about these issues, not just parroting the 2A party line, or repeating the standard NRA party line. Creative approaches, innovative strategies, grassroots PR are things we all need to explore and implement...

XD40coyote

A few years ago I suggested to MSI to set up at community/county festivals, such as the Towsontown Spring Festival. They didn't do it that year, nor the next... but something "magical" happened this last spring- they were there! I see they also have been and are doing other such festivals/events in central MD. People tend to see me as weird and don't often go for my ideas, and I am happy someone at MSI remembered my idea.

Going out directly to communities by being at a booth/table set up at community fairs and festivals, is a GREAT way to get positive exposure to show ordinary people that gun owners are not baby eating ogres or trashy beer guzzling rednecks. The public can come by and see what we are about. They can talk to us. Antis can debate with us while several fence sitters watch, and the fence sitters can see the antis getting emotional and acting like kookoos, while the gun owner/gun rights people act calm and cool and simply say the truth. Now which side will fence sitters feel more comfy around?

Unfortunatly due to some health issues of mine, I can pretty much only conduct my pro gun activities in my " comfort zone", and not be at all these events.