• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws/Regulations regarding Minors and firearms in CT

Keanu

Not directly related to OC, but I have seen so much fact-based advice in this forum that I hope this will be OK.
Can someone point me to the State's direction on the permissability of minors in the use of firearms under the supervision of a licensed instructor and/or parent? Individual in question is twelve years old and activity would take place at a range in Connecticut. My nephew will be visiting me this summer and his father will be here as well.
Thanks for any assistance you can give.

mrjam2jab

Think this is what you are looking for:

CT 529 Sec 29-34

Sec. 29-34. False statement or information in connection with sale or transfer of pistol or revolver prohibited. Sale or transfer to person under twenty-one years of age prohibited. Temporary transfers. Penalties. (a) No person shall make any false statement or give any false information connected with any purchase, sale, delivery or other transfer of any pistol or revolver. Any person violating any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class D felony.

(b) No person shall sell, barter, hire, lend, give, deliver or otherwise transfer to any person under the age of twenty-one years any pistol or revolver, except that a pistol or revolver may be temporarily transferred to any person only for the use by such person in target shooting or on a firing or shooting range, provided such use is otherwise permitted by law and is under the immediate supervision of a person eligible to possess a pistol or revolver. Any person violating any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class D felony for which one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court.

(c) Any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any provision of this section shall be forfeited.

GoldCoaster

I take my kids shooting (rifles and pistols) my son was 9 when he first went and my daughter 12. YOU are responsible for the safe operation same as you would be if you taught your child to use a hand can opener.

I would recommend having a younger child take the eddie eagle class, lots of ranges offer them to kids, the Bridgeport Shooting Range offers them every so often and they are free.

Knowledge is good.

Keanu

Great - thank you both for the good information, that is just what I needed.
I wanted to make sure my actions (including fully supervised) were not now illegal.
The legal landscape has changed since we were kids.

As always, common sense prevails.

Leverdude

I do not believe there is any age for ownership or possesion of a long gun in CT (minus MG and a CT Defined AW)

I think its 18 for a long gun & 21 for a handgun as far as ownership goes. Depending on what you mean by "Own" My boys 11 & 13 both own several rifles as far as I'm concerened but technically theyre mine because I bought them.
That said they'v been shooting with me since 4 or 5 at our camp and accompanying me to the range since they were 7 respectively.

Last edited:

Just a Guy

Just Wondering...

Depending on what you mean by "Own" My boys 11 & 13 both own several rifles as far as I'm concerened but technically theyre mine because I bought them.

30 years ago (at age 13) my father gave me his .22 bolt action - the one that his father gave him (at age 13). I just gave the rifle to my daughter (age 13 :trend?: ) So, just wondering, 'technically', who owns the rifle?

erick212

I take my son(11yo) to Blue trails all the time, we shoot both pistols and rifles with no problem. Now, if you go to Hoffmans indoor range to shoot .22 rifle you can be 12yo but to shoot pistol it is 16yo. I find that the laws are pretty open if the minor is with an adult but the range can make there own rules. I was pretty stoked this weekend, I gave my son the Basic pistol course and he got 2 wrong outta the 50 questions and did not use the book during the test. I found the other day that there is no age limit for students to learn the NRA basic pistol course by speaking to the NRA training personel @ headquarters. They can even get the Certificate but, cannot apply for a permit to carry until they are 21. I figured if he is going to shoot pistols with me besides the training I give him it couldn't hurt to have him take the course.

Leverdude

Depending on what you mean by "Own" My boys 11 & 13 both own several rifles as far as I'm concerened but technically theyre mine because I bought them.

30 years ago (at age 13) my father gave me his .22 bolt action - the one that his father gave him (at age 13). I just gave the rifle to my daughter (age 13 :trend?: ) So, just wondering, 'technically', who owns the rifle?

I dont know how it worked 30 years ago but now the paperwork asks very directly if the gun is for you or a gift. If its not for you the person you are giving it to is suposed to do the paperwork & get the nics check. I think thats why we hear about who a gun is "registered" to like in Rich B's case.

At any rate while I know those guns are my kids & they know it too I'm fairly sure the law would consider them mine. In your case since you arent a minor anymore I'd say the 22 is still yours by the law.

There is no law saying a kid cant shoot or posess a gun for hunting but as I said I believe ownership is 18 for long guns & 21 for pistols/revolvers in CT.

buketdude

I have searched the CGS up and down and I see nothing..but I did find this...and I come to the conclusion there is no age to possess a long gun in CT....even our "safe storage" law says without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns. A junior firearms hunting license may be issued to a child between ages 12 and 16 (CGS § 26-27a). (Federal law prohibits FFLs from selling or transferring long guns to people under age 18. But it does not address sales or transfers by nondealers or possession by minors (18 USC § 922(b) and 27 CFR § 478. 99(b)(1)).

and

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years

Last edited: