• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going through New Mexico this weekend from Colorado .. some clarification?

ooghost1oo

Hi, Open Carriers!

I'll be heading down to Roswell and back this weekend, and wanted to bring my pistol with me.

In Colorado, one can carry concealed in their vehicle without a permit. Is it the same in NM? Am I 'required' to disclose to LEO or anything like that? No sort of 'unloaded in a case' BS, huh?

Want to keep it hidden in the car the whole time, but don't want any trouble. Feedback?

Thanks.

castiel

In NM you can carry in your car however you want. Unloaded and locked up or loaded with a bullet in the chamber and the gun on the seat. It can be concealed on your person as well until you step out of your car. Not required to disclose to LEO and I wouldn't do it voluntarily.

ooghost1oo

Thanks. What's the deal with the whole CC without a permit if unloaded and mag separated thing?

Where do I have to avoid if CCing with an unloaded gun (no permit)? Schools and Govt Buildings and places that ... serve hard liquor (but beer and wine is okay)? Do signs hold legal weight?

castiel

I'm pretty sure that carrying concealed and unloaded without a permit is legally the equivalent of open carrying loaded. You can't go into any places that sell any alcohol for on or off premises consumption.

You can't carry into any places that have a no guns signs or if the owner tells you no guns. It doesn't have to be a specific sign.

ooghost1oo

I'm pretty sure that carrying concealed and unloaded without a permit is legally the equivalent of open carrying loaded. You can't go into any places that sell any alcohol for on or off premises consumption.

You can't carry into any places that have a no guns signs or if the owner tells you no guns. It doesn't have to be a specific sign.

Sell ANY alcohol? You mean as in ... everywhere?

Do signs carry actual legal weight there? (Unlike here.) If there's a posted sign, is it actually illegal to go in? Any proximity issues?

castiel

No restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc that sell alcohol.

If there is a posted sign it's illegal to go in. You can get as close as you want but can't enter. It doesn't have to have a specific wording or size.