Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance festival oc?

Banned

Renaissance festival oc?

saw on MCRGO that they do not permit firearms...
    is this legal?
    is it held on state land or private land?
    im not sure, i have never been and wanted to go this year

I have heard, but do not have specific details, that they own or lease the land. In this case, they can make the rules as they see fit.

It is a great event, especially the Highland Fling Weekend (I think that is what it is called). If you go, make sure that you get a TURKEY LEG!

I went in '08 and checked. They have a lease, so private property rules apply.
    "No weapons allowed".
    So I didn't go in and haven't been back since.

ren fest OC

warchild right. no weapon signs. i of course CC anyway but that's just me. the place is full of real swords and knives. don't know where the line is drawn there. ok to sell overpriced weaponry to people with ye olde mastercard/visa machine but don't bring any in. the hardcore renfest geeks come in with real swords too. where's the distinction?

Banned
    No gun no sale $

Renn. Fest DOES allow peacebound weaponry as of last year, and will continue to do so now from numerous complaints received from those who dress up and cannot complete their costume without swords and/or other weaponry such as myself.

That being said, a 'fully functional' firearm would probably either need to be A.) Peacebound as well, and in the open or B.) Concealed; and therefore out of sight/out of mind. This is one of the places where I can truthfully state, concealed means concealed.
    Last edited by malignity; 07-23-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

I've been trying to contact the festival for several months now. I have yet to receive a response to the emails I've sent. IMHO I believe going there and concealing in hopes of not getting caught is giving money to those who do not support you and your rights. If everyone sent emails and refused to go, they would get the message clearly in their pocket books.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Renn. Fest DOES allow peacebound weaponry as of last year, and will continue to do so now from numerous complaints received from those who dress up and cannot complete their costume without swords and/or other weaponry such as myself.

That being said, a 'fully functional' firearm would probably either need to be A.) Peacebound as well, and in the open or B.) Concealed; and therefore out of sight/out of mind. This is one of the places where I can truthfully state, concealed means concealed.
    Ok... I'll take the bait... what exactly is "peacebound"?

Somehow I suspect it has something to do with the concept that you can "keep" arms... as long as you keep them in an approved manner decided by someone who doesn't like guns... and you can "bear" arms... as long as there is no way in hell it could be used for anything other than a fashion accessory..........

Which is nothing more than yet another back door anti gunner gun control idea hoping to gain traction.

Or maybe I'm wrong?
    Last edited by Bikenut; 07-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned
    No, thats pretty much how it breaks down. Until the anti faces a real gunman, and wants to hide behind one of us until the LEOs get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace-bonding

Also used in fantasy novels to refer to a wire wrapping around a sword hilt and scabbard to keep you from drawing your sword.

Sadly these folks don't notice the fact that in almost every case in a novel where this is used, the protagonist ends up needing to use the "peace bonded" weapon because just like any other CEZ the crimanals don't follow the law/rule.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

yes peace bonding is also stated as haveing and "elaborate peace not, so bound to be easily untie-able" in case of fast need of draw, my take on there peace bond rule would be a zip tie. which pretty much means runaway should someone draw a sword and start slashing. i went many moons ago and CC there, but i ended up putting it back in the car.

if you go, you must try the honey wine or mead!!!!!!!!!!! its is aboslutely heavenly! i have even made a batch or 2 in my time andd it is fantastic, and don't miss the turkey legs! top notch! and pay the guy who insults you, thats worth the money and dead bob is a hoot also! the 2 old washer women are funny also! its a great time! i hope they get on board and allow OC!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    yes peace bonding is also stated as haveing and "elaborate peace not, so bound to be easily untie-able" in case of fast need of draw, my take on there peace bond rule would be a zip tie. which pretty much means runaway should someone draw a sword and start slashing.
    Yeah, I suspected as much... just another stupid fish (dum bass) fraidy cat measure that has no use what so ever but makes weenies feel safe.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

Somehow I suspect it has something to do with the concept that you can "keep" arms... as long as you keep them in an approved manner decided by someone who doesn't like guns... and you can "bear" arms... as long as there is no way in hell it could be used for anything other than a fashion accessory..........

Which is nothing more than yet another back door anti gunner gun control idea hoping to gain traction.

Or maybe I'm wrong?
    Was wondering the same thing... thanks, all, for the information.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

They eliminated all of the no weapons signs there afaik.... ask TheSzerdi, he worked there last year and may have more info. They zip tie your weapons if they see them, and even then they occasionally miss weapons.

Keep in mind, the Gibraltar trade center gun show does the same thing. Yes, its incredibly stupid, but the fair has gone from no weapons to this, which is at least a step in the right direction.

Personally, I don't carry there. I go there dressed in full costume, consume the medieval alcoholic breverages in copious amounts, and have a good time. If I need to defend myself, I have a fully functional cutlass on my hip, and a zip tie ain't gonna stop me from drawing either that or my boot knife which can't be peacebound.
    Last edited by malignity; 07-24-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

*busts out the sword of braveheart*

Pull a Kwirknu and carry a black powder firearm,they are rather old in design.
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 07-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    *busts out the sword of braveheart*

Pull a Kwirknu and carry a black powder firearm,they are rather old in design.
    Personally, I've considered getting a functional flintlock for my costume. (I dress as a pirate every year) However, whenever I go, I tend to 'fit the pirate bill' and drink heavily. I can't do both, and though I may only drink 2-3 times a year, The Renn Fest alcohol is just too good to resist, and that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make. LOL

While the concept of a "peacebound" weapon is in itself laughable, I can understand it for the Renaissance festival for those coming in in costume.

Michigan law regarding knives also covers swords (which really are just overly long knives in design). It prohibits double edged knives (including double edged swords) from being carried outside your home. While I'm not certain it would completely protect a person legaly, it might just make a sword legal to carry (or at least legal enough for the local authorities to ignore it).

Quote Originally Posted by Quaamik View Post
    While the concept of a "peacebound" weapon is in itself laughable, I can understand it for the Renaissance festival for those coming in in costume.

Michigan law regarding knives also covers swords (which really are just overly long knives in design). It prohibits double edged knives (including double edged swords) from being carried outside your home. While I'm not certain it would completely protect a person legaly, it might just make a sword legal to carry (or at least legal enough for the local authorities to ignore it).
    Okay give me a few minutes to search the the MCLs but I believe that is only if it is concealed, like in your pocket. Most knife laws in Michigan are local laws, and unfortunately Michigan does not have a preemption law for knifes. I will go in search of the MCLs. By the way welcome to the site, please see our rules section, if at all possible to the best of your ability when you mention a law, please do you best to site it.

IANAL

Okay here we are completely legal as long as you do not have the intent of committing a crime (MCL 750.226), or are concealing it(MCL 750.227). This is all I could find, and as we all well know if its not illegal its perfectly legal (like OC).
    http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(kuxvtpv...ighlight=knife (bam)
    http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(kuxvtpv...ighlight=knife (bam)

Carry on
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 07-25-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Saddly this law makes concealing or transporting in your car "Dirks, Daggers, Stilettos and double-edged nonfolding stabbing instruments of any length" a felony, except on your own private property.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Banned
    Yeah I know. Its also impossible to buy one unless you walk to the store, or have the delivery guy commit a felony by delivering it to you.

So basically you have to walk to the RenFest if you are going to carry a double edged sword or dagger.

And then after you go to all that trouble, they peacebond the dogone thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar87 View Post
    So basically you have to walk to the RenFest if you are going to carry a double edged sword or dagger.

And then after you go to all that trouble, they peacebond the dogone thing?
    Walk, or ride a horse or mule. Talk about getting into character...
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

...and yet, I saw people with claymores, broadswords, battle axes, etc strapped to their back while I was there..

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar
    Ya know those laws that some LEO's know about, and even fewer care about? Thats one of em. I know plenty of people who have bought double edged weapons and had them delivered, went and got them in a car. Now that i think about it, one of those people was an LEO
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Just put it on the roof or hood of your vehicle.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast