• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Renaissance festival oc?

Beerme

Banned
saw on MCRGO that they do not permit firearms...
is this legal?
is it held on state land or private land?
im not sure, i have never been and wanted to go this year

PDinDetroit

I have heard, but do not have specific details, that they own or lease the land. In this case, they can make the rules as they see fit.

It is a great event, especially the Highland Fling Weekend (I think that is what it is called). If you go, make sure that you get a TURKEY LEG!

WARCHILD

I went in '08 and checked. They have a lease, so private property rules apply.
"No weapons allowed".
So I didn't go in and haven't been back since.

kryptonian

ren fest OC

warchild right. no weapon signs. i of course CC anyway but that's just me. the place is full of real swords and knives. don't know where the line is drawn there. ok to sell overpriced weaponry to people with ye olde mastercard/visa machine but don't bring any in. the hardcore renfest geeks come in with real swords too. where's the distinction?

malignity

Renn. Fest DOES allow peacebound weaponry as of last year, and will continue to do so now from numerous complaints received from those who dress up and cannot complete their costume without swords and/or other weaponry such as myself.

That being said, a 'fully functional' firearm would probably either need to be A.) Peacebound as well, and in the open or B.) Concealed; and therefore out of sight/out of mind. This is one of the places where I can truthfully state, concealed means concealed.

Last edited:

sprinklerguy28

I've been trying to contact the festival for several months now. I have yet to receive a response to the emails I've sent. IMHO I believe going there and concealing in hopes of not getting caught is giving money to those who do not support you and your rights. If everyone sent emails and refused to go, they would get the message clearly in their pocket books.

B

Bikenut

Renn. Fest DOES allow peacebound weaponry as of last year, and will continue to do so now from numerous complaints received from those who dress up and cannot complete their costume without swords and/or other weaponry such as myself.

That being said, a 'fully functional' firearm would probably either need to be A.) Peacebound as well, and in the open or B.) Concealed; and therefore out of sight/out of mind. This is one of the places where I can truthfully state, concealed means concealed.

Ok... I'll take the bait... what exactly is "peacebound"?

Somehow I suspect it has something to do with the concept that you can "keep" arms... as long as you keep them in an approved manner decided by someone who doesn't like guns... and you can "bear" arms... as long as there is no way in hell it could be used for anything other than a fashion accessory..........

Which is nothing more than yet another back door anti gunner gun control idea hoping to gain traction.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosnar87

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace-bonding

Also used in fantasy novels to refer to a wire wrapping around a sword hilt and scabbard to keep you from drawing your sword.

Sadly these folks don't notice the fact that in almost every case in a novel where this is used, the protagonist ends up needing to use the "peace bonded" weapon because just like any other CEZ the crimanals don't follow the law/rule.

NHCGRPR45

yes peace bonding is also stated as haveing and "elaborate peace not, so bound to be easily untie-able" in case of fast need of draw, my take on there peace bond rule would be a zip tie. which pretty much means runaway should someone draw a sword and start slashing. i went many moons ago and CC there, but i ended up putting it back in the car.

if you go, you must try the honey wine or mead!!!!!!!!!!! its is aboslutely heavenly! i have even made a batch or 2 in my time andd it is fantastic, and don't miss the turkey legs! top notch! and pay the guy who insults you, thats worth the money and dead bob is a hoot also! the 2 old washer women are funny also! its a great time! i hope they get on board and allow OC!

B

Bikenut

yes peace bonding is also stated as haveing and "elaborate peace not, so bound to be easily untie-able" in case of fast need of draw, my take on there peace bond rule would be a zip tie. which pretty much means runaway should someone draw a sword and start slashing.

Yeah, I suspected as much... just another stupid fish (dum bass) fraidy cat measure that has no use what so ever but makes weenies feel safe.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Somehow I suspect it has something to do with the concept that you can "keep" arms... as long as you keep them in an approved manner decided by someone who doesn't like guns... and you can "bear" arms... as long as there is no way in hell it could be used for anything other than a fashion accessory..........

Which is nothing more than yet another back door anti gunner gun control idea hoping to gain traction.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Was wondering the same thing... thanks, all, for the information.

malignity

They eliminated all of the no weapons signs there afaik.... ask TheSzerdi, he worked there last year and may have more info. They zip tie your weapons if they see them, and even then they occasionally miss weapons.

Keep in mind, the Gibraltar trade center gun show does the same thing. Yes, its incredibly stupid, but the fair has gone from no weapons to this, which is at least a step in the right direction.

Personally, I don't carry there. I go there dressed in full costume, consume the medieval alcoholic breverages in copious amounts, and have a good time. If I need to defend myself, I have a fully functional cutlass on my hip, and a zip tie ain't gonna stop me from drawing either that or my boot knife which can't be peacebound.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

*busts out the sword of braveheart*:D

Pull a Kwirknu and carry a black powder firearm,they are rather old in design.

Last edited:

malignity

*busts out the sword of braveheart*:D

Pull a Kwirknu and carry a black powder firearm,they are rather old in design.

Personally, I've considered getting a functional flintlock for my costume. (I dress as a pirate every year) However, whenever I go, I tend to 'fit the pirate bill' and drink heavily. I can't do both, and though I may only drink 2-3 times a year, The Renn Fest alcohol is just too good to resist, and that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make. LOL

Quaamik

While the concept of a "peacebound" weapon is in itself laughable, I can understand it for the Renaissance festival for those coming in in costume.

Michigan law regarding knives also covers swords (which really are just overly long knives in design). It prohibits double edged knives (including double edged swords) from being carried outside your home. While I'm not certain it would completely protect a person legaly, it might just make a sword legal to carry (or at least legal enough for the local authorities to ignore it).

eastmeyers

While the concept of a "peacebound" weapon is in itself laughable, I can understand it for the Renaissance festival for those coming in in costume.

Michigan law regarding knives also covers swords (which really are just overly long knives in design). It prohibits double edged knives (including double edged swords) from being carried outside your home. While I'm not certain it would completely protect a person legaly, it might just make a sword legal to carry (or at least legal enough for the local authorities to ignore it).

Okay give me a few minutes to search the the MCLs but I believe that is only if it is concealed, like in your pocket. Most knife laws in Michigan are local laws, and unfortunately Michigan does not have a preemption law for knifes. I will go in search of the MCLs. By the way welcome to the site, please see our rules section, if at all possible to the best of your ability when you mention a law, please do you best to site it.

IANAL

Okay here we are completely legal as long as you do not have the intent of committing a crime (MCL 750.226), or are concealing it(MCL 750.227). This is all I could find, and as we all well know if its not illegal its perfectly legal (like OC).
http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(kuxvtp...jectname=mcl-750-226&query=on&highlight=knife (bam)
http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(kuxvtp...jectname=mcl-750-227&query=on&highlight=knife (bam)

Carry on

Last edited:

Mosnar87

Saddly this law makes concealing or transporting in your car "Dirks, Daggers, Stilettos and double-edged nonfolding stabbing instruments of any length" a felony, except on your own private property.:banghead: