• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff robbed while not carrying inside mall.

DustoneGT

Serves him right

Screw Mesilla Valley Mall.

For one, they aren't properly posted. NM state law requires any sign stating a prohibition of any activity to be 144 sq in in size. The signs in the mall prohibiting weapons are a one-liner on a long list of prohibited activities on the inside wall between the double doors where it is likely to be missed by anybody coming in, plus any doors into a store (Barnes & Noble, Sears, etc) do not have even those signs.

And in the case of a LEO, it's illegal to disarm a peace officer. You can bet the ass hole rent-a-cops will be arrested for trying. Plus he was in a marked unit, which means he was likely in uniform. I don't know about you, but if I had a police uniform on, I'd be afraid to not have a gun to go with it. It's just begging for trouble.

The deputy was a moron. He deserved to have his duty belt stolen.

jhow1nm2

First a parking lot shooting last night, now a vehicle robbery

I live in Cruces, and I was just at the mall today. I've both carried (concealed) in the mall, and also left my weapon in my vehicle (concealed). I will not be doing the latter any more. I will only be carrying concealed. My safety and security of my belongings and self are my responsibility and not the police or sheriff's dept. I don't agree in wishing someone harm or wronged upon, sheriff or not. To have thieves target a marked police vehicle is saying that thief is brazen and makes me think I need to up my awareness.

There was a shooting at the same mall in recent days. http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_15582890?IADID=Search-www.lcsun-news.com-www.lcsun-news.com Upon reading, it didn't sound like a good shoot, from a self defense perspective on the first report.

Last edited:

castiel

I never knew about the sign requirements but DustoneGT is right. Here is the law:

30-14-6. No trespassing notice; sign contents; posting; requirement; prescribing a penalty for wrongful posting of public lands.

A. The owner, lessee or person lawfully in possession of real property in New Mexico, except property owned by the state or federal government, desiring to prevent trespass or entry onto the real property shall post notices parallel to and along the exterior boundaries of the property to be posted, at each roadway or other way of access in conspicuous places, and if the property is not fenced, such notices shall be posted every five hundred feet along the exterior boundaries of such land.

B. The notices posted shall prohibit all persons from trespassing or entering upon the property, without permission of the owner, lessee, person in lawful possession or his agent. The notices shall:

(1) be printed legibly in English;
(2) be at least one hundred forty-four square inches in size;
(3) contain the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted or the name and address of the person who is authorized to grant permission to enter the property;
(4) be placed at each roadway or apparent way of access onto the property, in addition to the posting of the boundaries; and
(5) where applicable, state any specific prohibition that the posting is directed against, such as "no trespassing," "no hunting," "no fishing," "no digging" or any other specific prohibition.

C. Any person who posts public lands contrary to state or federal law or regualtion [regulation] is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Last edited:

MDA_II

There was a shooting at the same mall in recent days. http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_15582890?IADID=Search-www.lcsun-news.com-www.lcsun-news.com Upon reading, it didn't sound like a good shoot, from a self defense perspective on the first report.

The mother is trying to spin the story and play that her son is being victimized. Oh wel, don't be underage being a punk cruising for girls drunk, harassing people and destroying personal property.... from the article "As of right now, there are no charges filed and it doesn't appear there will be, but people do have a legal right to protect themselves - protect their lives and the lives of their family," Trujillo said.

Farmington's mall is the same way, no signs in the anchor stores and only at the main entry(s), and there it's just one lne of tuny print. Not legal in this state.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
This report is a lie.

It is against mall policy to do bad things there. So this could not have happened. No one would ever, or could ever, disobey a policy. It's physically impossible.

/sarcasm

MrGlock

Coronado Mall

Coronado Mall security stated to a friend of mine a while back that CC licenses are ok there, and that no open carry is allowed. I'm hoping they were correct in saying this; I haven't seen any signs there, and I've carried concealed there for years.

bigtwig01

Farmington's mall is the same way, no signs in the anchor stores and only at the main entry(s), and there it's just one lne of tuny print. Not legal in this state.

yes the sign is very small, one liner and is not in good view. If you did not stop to read the sign, you would not even know it was there.