• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'll be passing through soon...what do I need to know?

mFonz77

I'm coming from AZ and have an AZ CCW which is recognized in NM, however I'll be coming on a motorcycle so I'd rather OC. I'll be coming in at the SW corner (Lordsburg/Demnig) and going all the way to Albuquerque. Any "harrassment hot spots" from LEOs? What are the quirks I need to know that may not be so explicit on sites like this one and handgunlaw.us?

Thanks NMers!

castiel

If you stop at any gas stations that sell alcohol (almost all of them do) then you'll have to make sure your gun is concealed.

If you're going through Las Cruces and then north on I-25 to Albuquerque you will have to stop at a border patrol checkpoint. They shouldn't bother you about the gun but I've never gone through on a motorcycle so I can't be sure.

mFonz77

Gas stations, really? Weird. Never heard of that one before. I'll probably just CC the whole time then because I don't want to have to stop roadside to cover up before I pull into a gas station...

huntingcrazy

Gas stations, really? Weird. Never heard of that one before. I'll probably just CC the whole time then because I don't want to have to stop roadside to cover up before I pull into a gas station...

You only have to conceal IF you go into the store, but as for being outside at the pump you are OK.
This is a very childish law that needs to be abolished. I find it rediculous that you can open carry outside on the streets and inside stores that do not sell any alcohol, but when a store like Walmart or Costco sells alcohol, you cannot carrry unless you have a valid CCW permit.

mFonz77

Is there a long and decorated history in NM of law-abiding gun owners cracking open a 40 of Mickeys and then going on a shooting spree? </sarcasm> This does sound like a bad law.