Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive leo encounter

Positive leo encounter

My car broke down about 2 mile from home and My daughter came to see if I need any help. When I was look at the engines I seen her walking and I lookup and I saw a Monroe county deputy coming toward the car. I was oced at the time He help me push the car out of the was. He did notice my weapon on my side and was very polite. When I told him I also ave a cpl since I was drive he said ok. He told me everyone that he see and talk to to get a cpl premit to carry. We talk a bit and shook hands then he left.

Banned
    Always great to hear about the good cops, the bad ones get all the press.

My face hurts after trying to decipher that mess. Glad to hear the police were nice to you.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    my face hurts after trying to decipher that mess. Glad to hear the police were nice to you.
    +1! Lol!

Was this in monroe? Glad to hear it was positive.

Made sense to me... oh well. Just wondering if he actually looked at your CPL or just accepted your statement as truth. On second thought, since it was your car, he may have just checked the plate number in LEIN before talking to you.

As an aside:
    Tucker6900! Now there is a person I have not seen here in AGES (he moved to Iowa from Michigan). Hope things are well with you. Glad to see that my CPL will be "recognized" by the nice people of Iowa in January, too.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Made sense to me... oh well. Just wondering if he actually looked at your CPL or just accepted your statement as truth. On second thought, since it was your car, he may have just checked the plate number in LEIN before talking to you.

As an aside:
    Tucker6900! Now there is a person I have not seen here in AGES (he moved to Iowa from Michigan). Hope things are well with you. Glad to see that my CPL will be "recognized" by the nice people of Iowa in January, too.
    Good to hear about another positive encounter.

In response to Dr. Todd, I have had close to 5 encounters with LEO's who accepted my disclosure of CPL at my word, and did not ask to see it.

One event, went like this, nearly virbatum (in my Semi Truck, so when he ran my trailer plate it did not come up as me being the owner/operator might I add)

Officer: License, Registration please
    Me: First I need to disclose I am a Michigan CPL holder, and I am armed.
    Officer: As long as you don't pull it on me, I don't care, Do you know why I pulled you over?

Traffic stop from there went as normal, he did not even ask for my pistol, I was pulled over, but not cited for making a turn without a signal

As an aside:

Thanks the well wishes!! Things are going good. Having had shall issue pass is a giant deal for us here. While I was unable to be part of the effort, (It all started long before I moved here), its a great thing for Iowa. And it will be nice to be able to carry in Michigan again after recently recieving my permit here in Iowa. That actually brings up a great question.

I think I remember someone telling me that while Im in michigan, I have to follow the rules stated on my Iowa permit. Being as my permit is as "non-professional permit to carry weapons", and Iowa is technically an open carry state, am I good to OC while visiting michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post

Thanks the well wishes!! Things are going good. Having had shall issue pass is a giant deal for us here. While I was unable to be part of the effort, (It all started long before I moved here), its a great thing for Iowa. And it will be nice to be able to carry in Michigan again after recently recieving my permit here in Iowa. That actually brings up a great question.

I think I remember someone telling me that while Im in michigan, I have to follow the rules stated on my Iowa permit. Being as my permit is as "non-professional permit to carry weapons", and Iowa is technically an open carry state, am I good to OC while visiting michigan?
    Yes
    IANAL
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 07-24-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

I'll double that "yes" to OC while here. BTW, the reference in Michigan law, as I have been told, is in reference to the time when permits would be restricted as to time and place. Before general concealed carry being "shall issue", some Michigan permits would be issued as "Hunting", "Target", "Business" carry permits. The wording on the license limited concealed carry to those particular times...carrying concealed while hunting, going to the range, or while conducting business, etc. If a person with such a limitation carried outside of the reason noted on the permit, he/she could be charged with ccw.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    "not cited for making a turn without a signal"
    I hear this from many people w/ a CPL.

Yes, this was in Monroe Just before you get to the fairgrounds on South Custer. When I told him that I have a cpl and he said oced is legal in Michigan He didn't asked to see it at all. He might have run my plates through.

My face hurts after trying to decipher that mess. Glad to hear the police were nice to you.
    Be nice. Not everyone is a grammar star. He was trying to share a positive experience with everyone. We all have our weak spots and shouldn't be constantly criticized for them.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Be nice. Not everyone is a grammar star. He was trying to share a positive experience with everyone. We all have our weak spots and shouldn't be constantly criticized for them.
    Well said. I apologize.

Me too.

Well said. I apologize.
    As do I.

I'm start to gather things together to start educating the Iowa public about firearms and CC and OC. Hopefully it goes as well a it has in Michigan.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    I hear this from many people w/ a CPL.
    yep, me too, twice. once for speeding in a school zone and once for running red light.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Snip

Actually No, you must follow Michigan firearm laws while in Michigan.
    Your IA permit gives you all the rights & privileges of a MI resident as far as carrying is concerned.
    MI LEO's don't know or care what IA laws are.
    Last edited by Leader; 07-26-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Your IA permit gives you all the rights & privileges of a MI resident as far as carrying is concerned.
    +1

I understand that. But, being a "non resident", can I legally open carry?

I understand that. But, being a "non resident", can I legally open carry?
    Yes

"I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Ya on the CLP getting off of ticket. Since I've had my CPL I've been stopped twice, once OCg on Harley by Taylor PD and once driving truck to work by Van Buren Twp PD (Belleville) each time The officer just let me go no ticket. Coool!!!

BTW, I ALWAYS get the ticket. So I think that since we have CPL and the background check that goes with it, tend to tell the LEO we're the good guys and they give us the break we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Wglide90 View Post
    Ya on the CLP getting off of ticket. Since I've had my CPL I've been stopped twice, once OCg on Harley by Taylor PD and once driving truck to work by Van Buren Twp PD (Belleville) each time The officer just let me go no ticket. Coool!!!

BTW, I ALWAYS get the ticket. So I think that since we have CPL and the background check that goes with it, tend to tell the LEO we're the good guys and they give us the break we deserve.
    So, we deserve a break for breaking the law just because we have a CPL? How about... Don't speed. Don't roll thru a stop sign. Don't turn right on red. There are an awful lot of law abiding folks out there who get stopped for the same things, and get tickets. Is it because they DON'T have a CPL? I don't think so. Sorry Wglide90, I faintly smell a false sense of entitlement there. Don't get me wrong, it's kind of a cool perk, but don't count on it, cuz sooner or later LEO is gonna say, "oh well, sucks to be you". Don't turn it into a get out of jail free card.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Banned
    Ive heard of many people getting out of, or not getting tickets because of CPL. Myself included. I have no problem with this, when a cop lets you off or lets you go, then that person is far more likely to follow the laws than if the officer robs you at gunpoint with an attitude.

As far as speeding goes, speed limits are just a tax thats unfair to the financially challenged. Speed doesnt kill anymore than guns do. Its how you handle, or mishandle it that causes the problem. Speed limits are antiquated to begin with. When they were started, they were set too low in order to generate income for the state. Back then, the cars diddnt have te power, the braking that we have now, the steering, the tire technology that we have now, cars diddnt have seatbelts, airbags, safety glass or crumple zones. There is absolutely no excuse for having the speed limits that we do now. Its an irresponsible use of power. There should be no speed limits whatsoever on the interstates, heck, most in town driving can be done safely at or above the speed limit during heavy snow. As far as stop signs, I do not allow a deaf and dumb metal sign determine for me, when its safe to go and not. If a driver cant negotiate a simple cross street without a sign, they don't need to be driving. I dont mind sharing the road woth other drivers, but there is simply no way Im stopping in the middle of no where when nobody is there. Unnecessary stopping and starting is bad for the environment, and hard on the car. **end rant**

Ha, taurus... you're taking my words on that too serious. No entitlement. More like a cliche about deserving some reward for an accomplishment. BTW, I asked for a warning each stated occurence. The real point was about the higher level of citizanship of cpl holders vs. unknown of citizan they encounter of non holders. Hey, I figure it can't hurt to ask for warning, and each time the reply from the LEO is framed to confirm I got off due to cpl. One stated over and over, "you're one of the good guys... you're a smart guy." Anyway I'm not complaining, and respect each officer for their respect.

Moderator / Administrator
    interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast