• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive leo encounter

onestar 50

My car broke down about 2 mile from home and My daughter came to see if I need any help. When I was look at the engines I seen her walking and I lookup and I saw a Monroe county deputy coming toward the car. I was oced at the time He help me push the car out of the was. He did notice my weapon on my side and was very polite. When I told him I also ave a cpl since I was drive he said ok. He told me everyone that he see and talk to to get a cpl premit to carry. We talk a bit and shook hands then he left.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Made sense to me... oh well. Just wondering if he actually looked at your CPL or just accepted your statement as truth. On second thought, since it was your car, he may have just checked the plate number in LEIN before talking to you.

As an aside:
Tucker6900! Now there is a person I have not seen here in AGES (he moved to Iowa from Michigan). Hope things are well with you. Glad to see that my CPL will be "recognized" by the nice people of Iowa in January, too.

kyleplusitunes

Made sense to me... oh well. Just wondering if he actually looked at your CPL or just accepted your statement as truth. On second thought, since it was your car, he may have just checked the plate number in LEIN before talking to you.

As an aside:
Tucker6900! Now there is a person I have not seen here in AGES (he moved to Iowa from Michigan). Hope things are well with you. Glad to see that my CPL will be "recognized" by the nice people of Iowa in January, too.

Good to hear about another positive encounter.

In response to Dr. Todd, I have had close to 5 encounters with LEO's who accepted my disclosure of CPL at my word, and did not ask to see it.

One event, went like this, nearly virbatum (in my Semi Truck, so when he ran my trailer plate it did not come up as me being the owner/operator might I add)

Officer: License, Registration please
Me: First I need to disclose I am a Michigan CPL holder, and I am armed.
Officer: As long as you don't pull it on me, I don't care, Do you know why I pulled you over?

Traffic stop from there went as normal, he did not even ask for my pistol, I was pulled over, but not cited for making a turn without a signal

Tucker6900

As an aside:

:D
Thanks the well wishes!! Things are going good. Having had shall issue pass is a giant deal for us here. While I was unable to be part of the effort, (It all started long before I moved here), its a great thing for Iowa. And it will be nice to be able to carry in Michigan again after recently recieving my permit here in Iowa. That actually brings up a great question.

I think I remember someone telling me that while Im in michigan, I have to follow the rules stated on my Iowa permit. Being as my permit is as "non-professional permit to carry weapons", and Iowa is technically an open carry state, am I good to OC while visiting michigan?

eastmeyers

Thanks the well wishes!! Things are going good. Having had shall issue pass is a giant deal for us here. While I was unable to be part of the effort, (It all started long before I moved here), its a great thing for Iowa. And it will be nice to be able to carry in Michigan again after recently recieving my permit here in Iowa. That actually brings up a great question.

I think I remember someone telling me that while Im in michigan, I have to follow the rules stated on my Iowa permit. Being as my permit is as "non-professional permit to carry weapons", and Iowa is technically an open carry state, am I good to OC while visiting michigan?

Yes
IANAL

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I'll double that "yes" to OC while here. BTW, the reference in Michigan law, as I have been told, is in reference to the time when permits would be restricted as to time and place. Before general concealed carry being "shall issue", some Michigan permits would be issued as "Hunting", "Target", "Business" carry permits. The wording on the license limited concealed carry to those particular times...carrying concealed while hunting, going to the range, or while conducting business, etc. If a person with such a limitation carried outside of the reason noted on the permit, he/she could be charged with ccw.

onestar 50

Yes, this was in Monroe Just before you get to the fairgrounds on South Custer. When I told him that I have a cpl and he said oced is legal in Michigan He didn't asked to see it at all. He might have run my plates through.

Ruby

My face hurts after trying to decipher that mess. Glad to hear the police were nice to you.
Be nice. Not everyone is a grammar star. He was trying to share a positive experience with everyone. We all have our weak spots and shouldn't be constantly criticized for them.

Leader

Snip

Actually No, you must follow Michigan firearm laws while in Michigan.
Your IA permit gives you all the rights & privileges of a MI resident as far as carrying is concerned.
MI LEO's don't know or care what IA laws are.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Actually No, you must follow Michigan firearm laws while in Michigan.
Your IA permit gives you all the rights & privileges of a MI resident as far as carrying is concerned.
MI LEO's don't know or care what IA laws are.

I understand that. But, being a "non resident", can I legally open carry?