• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's talk republican gubernatorial candidates

datank55

I looked at Tom Foley's website, and it seems that he stands for the things that right wingers traditionally align with, but he was mum on firearms period, anyone know anything about him I don't?

buketdude

Tom Foley is a joke.....take note of the words "but" & "responsibility"....That is code for "I will sign any gun control bill that comes to my desk"...not to mention he would have signed that same lost or stolen bill.....There is no way in hell I would vote for Jodi Rell Jr.

http://www.ctmirror.org/node/6047

He would have signed a gun-control measure passed in 2007 requiring gun owners to report stolen firearms.

"I support the 2nd Amendment. I'm a gun owner myself, but I think with gun ownership comes responsibility."

Last edited:

KIX

Not all are teeter tottering on the fence.

If you go to CCDL meetings, you'll see many representatives that are solid 2A people.

We need to be responsible with who we put up there. As far as Foley goes..... when you say politician, former ambassador..... it makes me think UN for some reason....... and that scares the bejesus outta me.

I want to see where Fedele sits on 2A issues.

Plenty of candidates running for state legislature that are pro 2A, and frankly, I think this is where it is most important for us to get the info straight.

Jonathan

Rich B

Plenty of candidates running for state legislature that are pro 2A, and frankly, I think this is where it is most important for us to get the info straight.

While I think it is important to get rid of politicians who have an anti-freedom agenda, I think we should remember that the elections are not the end of the fight. Even a pro-2A politician is not going to do anything for us without us, in fact we could take big steps backwards. Too many people I hear from everyday make it sound like if so-and-so gets elected, everything will be easy and we will be repealing laws like there is no tomorrow. That is not going to happen. There is no politician that has that much power, and no politician who would use that power for good even if they had it.

What is winning victories across America for freedom are good people standing up for their rights and making their opinions known. The grassroots activities we are all involved in are far more important than the election, at least in my opinion. Shaming politicians into obedience is going to be necessary whether you vote Democrat, Republican or otherwise. Don't drink the kool aid any of these politicians are giving out, even at the CCDL meetings. I have heard many of these people speak at the CCDL meetings and I am not at all impressed. Not a single one will talk about what they know about our state's 2A fight, nor will they give any insight into how they will fix things. Most of them simply spew the same old Republican rhetoric. "Lets cleanup government, reduce waste and spending, reduce taxes and increase jobs!". Sounds good right? Should I be running? Problem is, none of them can give you a single detailed plan for how they plan to accomplish any of it. If we had a team of politicians that were willing to run together, have transparency and insight and hold regular meetings about how we can fix our government, I would be all aboard. But I know this won't happen, none of them have our best interest in mind. If one of them wants to call me out on this, feel free, I would like to hear your plan. Don't believe any of them, just pick the best of the evils and hope we don't make a serious mistake. We have been doing it for decades now, nothing is going to change.

Remember, the federal government is currently filled with people who hate the constitution and want to repeal many of our freedoms. And we are still winning the fight. More so than when we had Bush (who should have been pretty pro-2A).

Vote for freedom, but don't assume that it amounts to too much. Don't forget to support the CCDL and other organizations that promote freedom through grassroots activism, and don't forget to stay informed and proactive.

We have to win our freedoms back for ourselves.

Last edited:

KIX

I agree with what you are saying, but.....

The part where the candidates speak generally about their 2A stance and not in CT specifics...... isn't that our job to enlighten them?

I agree totally that the fight doesn't end at the ballot box, it is merely the fist successful hurdle in many to get the changes we need here in this state.

But, I'd much rather vote for someone that voices an interest in 2A rights, get them in office and work with them, rather than do nothing. Most of their opponents have a clear bias towards 2A rights.

Here' to a good start......

Jonathan

stacks04

Unless we the people stand together and fight as a unit, nothing is going to change. We the people need to find candidates that align with us, then get them elected. The most important part is to be involved and through sheer numbers sway the way they vote. Remember a politicians first and foremost goal is to be re-elected. If they have the support to get that, then they will vote based on that, but if only 50 people are calling to voice their concerns for something, and 10,000 are calling to go against it, who wins. Get your family, and friends involved. Remember its government for the people, by the people. The "people" is US.

Rich B

The part where the candidates speak generally about their 2A stance and not in CT specifics...... isn't that our job to enlighten them?

If you have to enlighten a governor, senator or attorney general on the laws of CT or what the constitution says then my point stands.

But, I'd much rather vote for someone that voices an interest in 2A rights, get them in office and work with them, rather than do nothing. Most of their opponents have a clear bias towards 2A rights.

No objections here. Just remember that it is a very small part of the fight, and it is one that is not as much within your control.

KIX

Rich..... you're talking law, I'm talking issues - not really the same in many respects.

If there is something on the legislative radar, that goes against our beliefs, then we need to let them know where we stand on the issue and want to know their stance as well.

Jonathan