• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some advise

BionicJumpy

I'm travelling from LV to Cedar City and up to Navajo Lake for some hiking. Any advice regarding the local rules? I have a ccw in NV and Florida, I just prefer to OC. Thanks

manithree

I can't comment on the rules or legality since I have a Utah CFP, but I did OC around Navajo Lake for most of a week just a couple of weeks ago without any negative incident. I biked with my kids to the lodge store several times. One of the guys working there is a carrier and had a couple of fun conversations with him. But there's no cellular or landline service there, so the odds of a MWAG call are pretty slim.

I didn't OC in Cedar City when we went through. I was always in a hurry, so I concealed.

BionicJumpy

I can't comment on the rules or legality since I have a Utah CFP, but I did OC around Navajo Lake for most of a week just a couple of weeks ago without any negative incident. I biked with my kids to the lodge store several times. One of the guys working there is a carrier and had a couple of fun conversations with him. But there's no cellular or landline service there, so the odds of a MWAG call are pretty slim.

I didn't OC in Cedar City when we went through. I was always in a hurry, so I concealed.

Thanks. Of course AT&T sucks up there I remember that.

utbagpiper

Banned
I'm travelling from LV to Cedar City and up to Navajo Lake for some hiking. Any advice regarding the local rules? I have a ccw in NV and Florida, I just prefer to OC. Thanks

Utah has complete State preemption (minus local ordinances against discharge), so there are no "local rules."

Your permit from anywhere in the nation is recognized in Utah on equal footing as if it were a Utah permit. With a permit you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon (other than machine gun or short barreled shotgun). You are allowed to carry a firearm fully loaded. You are not required to carry loaded or concealed and so MAY carry a gun unloaded and/or non-concealed if you wish. There are a few OEO (opinion enforcement officers) in a few areas who don't like OC and will try to pressure folks to conceal. I would not expect to find any around Navajo Lake.

Your non-Utah permit exempts you from the Utah gun free school zone. Best opinion is that it does NOT exempt you from the federal gun free school zone law.

You may carry a concealed firearm in your car in Utah even without a permit. A handgun in your car may be loaded. A long gun must be unloaded unless you have a permit to carry (which you do).

We do not have a "duty to inform" law. However, if during a stop a cop is likely to notice your gun, you may want to inform him you have it before he discovers it on his own. The best of doing this is to hand him your permit to carry along with your license and then keep mouth closed and hands in plain sight and away from gun until the cop registers what he is looking at and gives directions. Once informed of a gun--or becomes aware of one--a police officer can remove the gun from possession, or you from the location of the gun, for the duration of the stop. Some do, some don't.

Outside of incorporated cities, discharge is generally legal as long as there are not occupied buildings around, you are not shooting across roads, not an improved campground nearby and so on. Best bet is to ask a local or even a forest ranger or other official type if there is someplace nearby where it is legal, safe, and acceptable to do a little target shooting. It goes without saying to never leave behind any trash, and to be considerate about what time of day you choose to target shoot.

Have a safe and good trip. And enjoy Utah.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and so on and so forth.

Charles

28kfps

Utah has complete State preemption (minus local ordinances against discharge), so there are no "local rules."

Your permit from anywhere in the nation is recognized in Utah on equal footing as if it were a Utah permit. With a permit you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon (other than machine gun or short barreled shotgun).

I also want to thank you for the info. I will be at Pangutich Lake for 4 days plan on open carrying. I do have a CCW. I was going to do a new post asking about open carry at Pangutch Lake however, I believe this post will cover my questions.