• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff

maynerd

does any body have any thoughts about jAKE SHIRK running for el paso sheriff he is for freedom to carry without a ccw any thoughts

Gunslinger

It's hard to imagine a more pro 2A sheriff than Terry Maketa. I've never gotten a letter from the issuing authority thanking me for getting my CCW before I moved here. The other guy may be ok, but why change a winner?

Kingfish

It's hard to imagine a more pro 2A sheriff than Terry Maketa. I've never gotten a letter from the issuing authority thanking me for getting my CCW before I moved here. The other guy may be ok, but why change a winner?

Why does it take 90 days for the current sheriff to issue carry permits?

Kingfish

backlog with the CBI investigation due to a spike in applications

I highly doubt that. That may be the excuse de jure but there is no way a simple electronic check takes 90 days. The background check is probably returned within 12 minutes.

This same excuse is used here in GA. There are some counties that you can walk in and walk out with your permit. Other counties take upwards of 4 months.

Does anyone know what the ACTUAL background check process is?

Sig229

I highly doubt that. That may be the excuse de jure but there is no way a simple electronic check takes 90 days. The background check is probably returned within 12 minutes.

This same excuse is used here in GA. There are some counties that you can walk in and walk out with your permit. Other counties take upwards of 4 months.

I agree 100%.

Colorado really isnt that populated when you factor in total land mass.
CBI has always been full of employee's who drag feet and to be honest, my experience with them, they seem to be somewhat anti-gun.

Lets take Pennsylvania for example, we have a much larger population and it only takes a week (usually) to get a LTCF issued. Sometimes, only three days. And that includes for people applying for a non-resident LTCF.

It makes no sense that it takes MONTHS to get a CHL in Colorado.

As far as not needing a CHL to carry concealed, well that sounds good to me. I feel that if you pass the BG check to own a firearm , you should be allowed to carry that firearm.
Vermont has had that policy for years and they havet had any problems.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
My best bud is very good friends with Jake Shirk. He is an AWESOME guy and would make a fantastic Sheriff for El Paso County.

Terry Maketa said himself when he was supposedly stepping down from office that he didn't want to run again because he wouldn't be able to put 100% into another term. Vote for someone like Shirk that WILL put their all into the job.

Don't be a jerk, vote for Shirk.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nor sure that this thread is really staying within the parameters of OCDO - specifically related to OC and RKBA or is just trying to force the issue for political purposes/agenda by introducing a small bit of related comment.

What's in your wallet?

Gunslinger

El Paso county has always been one of the quickest to get permits issued...I received mine 3 weeks after applying....but this was before the "rush" we've seen lately.
I had mine in two weeks--plus the letter from Terry thanking me for getting it. The democrats run CBI in Colorado, not the El Paso County Sheriff. They are hack appointees of Tax Ritter. And that is where the delay is. His office acts as quickly as they can and are some of the nicest people I've ever met. The other guy may make a good sheriff, but I see no point in changing from a winner to a "may be."

Gunslinger

My best bud is very good friends with Jake Shirk. He is an AWESOME guy and would make a fantastic Sheriff for El Paso County.

Terry Maketa said himself when he was supposedly stepping down from office that he didn't want to run again because he wouldn't be able to put 100% into another term. Vote for someone like Shirk that WILL put their all into the job.

What are the negatives for Maketa? He changed his mind, as people do, and said he will put 100% into keeping El Paso County's Sheriff department the best in the state, which it has been during his terms. Shirk sounds like a good guy, but Maketa is proven. That's why I'm voting for him.

ooghost1oo

I was gung-ho for Maketa, primarily because I 'd heard that he was pro-Open-Carry.

I was, however, very annoyed with the CHP application process, which took MONTHS, and forced me to jump through several hoops (and wait some more) to clear up something in my background that should have been no problem for a CHP. Ultimately, all my hoop-jumping was for nothing, because they judged the final result out of context of all the crap and affidavits they made me go through.

Right now, I'm writing an appeal to Maketa himself. Even though he might be a good guy and OC friendly, his lack of involvement (or inefficient involvement) in the CHP process irks me.

Heard Jake Shirk this morning on KVOR (Richard Randall), and someone got him talking about CC and OC. He said (paraphrasing) that he's basically an activist for the 2nd Amendment, talked about how Colorado is an OC State, but right now things don't make sense because you could be OC'ing, and if your shirt or jacket covers up your gun, you suddenly need a permit. He said he'd be expanding the fight for our right to carry; that it's very important to him. That Maketa came from the prison system, but he came from whatever years experience being a cop on the street.

I'm voting for Jake Shirk. He's talking like he's going to try to implement some sort of Arizona Carry.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran

What are the negatives for Maketa? He changed his mind, as people do, and said he will put 100% into keeping El Paso County's Sheriff department the best in the state, which it has been during his terms. Shirk sounds like a good guy, but Maketa is proven. That's why I'm voting for him.

http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/story.aspx?id=428715

ZackL

If I vote for Shirk it will be simply because of his stance on OC and CC. Maketa has been a proven pro-gun sheriff and I don't think that it would be this good if he hadn't been in his office for so many years. I do like Shirk, but I also like Maketa, his deputies have always treated me with respect and they have only nodded or just glanced when they've seen me carry. There was an incident over the weekend and I don't think it could have been handled any better way.

Right now, my vote is going to Shirk, but only because I don't think Maketa will push for a "Right to Carry" law as hard as Shirk. However, if he does decide to go that route, then I will most assuredly be on his side because of his proven track record.

Sig229

I was, however, very annoyed with the CHP application process, which took MONTHS, and forced me to jump through several hoops (and wait some more) to clear up something in my background that should have been no problem for a CHP. Ultimately, all my hoop-jumping was for nothing, because they judged the final result out of context of all the crap and affidavits they made me go through.

If you dont mind going into further detail, I was wondering if its because you were "adjudicated" as a minor.
The CBI will not grant a CHL for people who have even had a minor juvenile run in with the law.
Yet drunk drivers and other adult misdemeanors are somehow okay with them.

Keep in mind, the legal term adjudicated just means "a legal process with an outcome". So you may not even have been convicted in juvenile court and they will STILL deny you. Even with firearm purchases.

When I lived in CO, I bought three rifles and one handgun, then all of a sudden one day I was denied and that was CBI's reason. What a crock of ****!

I was never even convicted of anything in my entire life. I was merely charged as a juvenile and they nolle prossed it. Wasn't even in the state if Colorado either.

I remember when I went to CBI to raise hell about it, I asked the woman officer "So if an 90 year old got charged with a crime while he was a juvenile 75 years ago, and never was convicted of anything you (CBI) would still deny him the right to buy a firearm and a CHL?" She said "sure would"

I told her "she should be ashamed of herself and CBI" and walked out.

I have NEVER had an issue buying firearms anywhere else in this country and I have lived in 13 states. Including some very anti gun states.

You folks in Colorado better keep an eye out. I fear your gun rights are going to slowly be taken away.
YES, it can happen in CO as well. Considering all of the California folks moving there.

Last edited:

ZackL

You folks in Colorado better keep an eye out. I fear your gun rights are going to slowly be taken away.
YES, it can happen in CO as well. Considering all of the California folks moving there.

That's what we're hoping to help stave off with the upcoming elections. However, in any event, I do like the idea of Arizona (close to home) and Alaska if all else fails. Vermont is just too far east for me.

Sig229

That's what we're hoping to help stave off with the upcoming elections. However, in any event, I do like the idea of Arizona (close to home) and Alaska if all else fails. Vermont is just too far east for me.

Have you thought about Wyoming or maybe Montana?

I actually enjoyed living in WY more than CO.
They have far less restrictive gun laws than CO or AK.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

ZackL

I have thought about it actually. It doesn't seem like a bad state at all and I do like wide, open, spaces. This is all assuming, of course, that - if - I stay with the girl I've been seeing, I can convince her of one of those states. If not then I'll be moving to wherever she likes it best anyway lol.