• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handcuffed at Manito Park 7/24/10

Jeff Hayes

I will contact the media on Monday to see if they are interested in covering the picnic.

Its ironic that the very officials that are responsable for enforcing the law are not obaying the law especialy since it has been pointed out to them on several occasions. I dont know about everyone else but I expect law enforcement city attorneys etc to know the law just as they expect us to know the law.

I would suggest that everyone bring video cameras and voice recorders and keep them running.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If you are setting up a picnic on 08/04/2010 this is a Wednesday and you will not get a turn out you are looking for, you may reconsider and as for contacting the media I would not give a set date until you see what you have.

bennie1986

If you are setting up a picnic on 08/04/2010 this is a Wednesday and you will not get a turn out you are looking for, you may reconsider and as for contacting the media I would not give a set date until you see what you have.

We actually have quite a few people saying they are coming.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
We actually have quite a few people saying they are coming.

Do you feel you maybe leaving out a lot of others that would like to come but cannot do to work?
Something to ponder.

On this board as well I have seen numerous times people get in a huff and when it comes down to it fades quickly and many of those who say I will be there now other obligations come along or other issues and do not attend as they desired once.

You maybe surprised on the turn out.

Good Luck, Dave

bennie1986

Do you feel you maybe leaving out a lot of others that would like to come but cannot do to work?
Something to ponder.

On this board as well I have seen numerous times people get in a huff and when it comes down to it fades quickly and many of those who say I will be there now other obligations come along or other issues and do not attend as they desired once.

You maybe surprised on the turn out.

Good Luck, Dave

I didn’t set it up not sure why it was set up on the 4th and I will actually have to miss a bit a work that day to attend but I feel this is more important that work especially after this event.

sudden valley gunner

This makes a good case for not carrying your ID and CPL while open carrying.
August 4th? hmmmm I wonder if I can take the day off and Ride my bike over?
I might be starting a new job the 2nd though.
I know you had your reasons for "cooperating" but myself I am tired of these yahoos (cops) breaking the law by doing this over and over, I would have refused to cover and give ID they would have had to arrest me or leave me alone.

DEROS72

Yeah..sorry about the caps,I was pissed when I saw this.Damn I wish I could make it there.Anyway hoping some of you over there will make the Willow Lake on the 15th.These are some of the things we can focus on.We have some really great plans for this years meet.I have had one of the local cops ask me to shoot him a flyer when we set the date...If he's off he wants to come.So I know they are not all bad.It seems though we keep having to educate some of these guys on what the law really is.After all they expect us to know and follow.Anyway I would on TV demand a public apologie from that officer and make sure he can recite state preemption.I wonder if he was a transplant from somewhere???

amlevin

they were less worried about me using it than they were about showing me they were the boss!

This is typical of a lot of some veteran cops. Their attitude is this is my world and you Will follow MY rules! The dead giveaway that he was a vet is the comment about City Law being more restrictive. This is an old belief, that if Local law is more restrictive it takes precedent over State. This may well be true for some laws but with "preeemption" it's clear that it does not apply to firearms. Those who have been through the Academy in recent years are aware of this. That is, until they get to the street and are indoctrinated by some FTO's. Some of these are guys who's idea of "keeping current" is to read the latest issue of Playboy while spending an hour on the "throne" ever morning.

Please do not construe my above remarks as being anti-LEO. I am just anti-stupid and THAT can exist anywhere. Those who are charged with enforcing our laws should be the ones that are the most informed as to what those laws are, and aren't. Those who lacking in knowlege of same should be forced to return to the Academy for remedial training. Somehow I think it is a sad commentary when citizens can be more current on the laws that govern them than those that are enforcing the laws.

Jeff Hayes

The picnic was scheduled for Wednesday so that it did not interfere with summertime weekend activities and we decided to try something different. Also the picnic shelter was avaliable that day, think 95+ degrees without shade. We have 40+ RSVPs at this time if only half show we will have a great showing for Spokane. The largest turn out before in Spokane was about 9 people and turnout generally is about 6 of us. I have gone from being concerned about how many will show up to what happens if excede the 50 person limit. I am sure that there will be people show up that do not OC and of course there are about 10 kids in the 40 RSVPs.

One thing that helped with turn out is Spokane Gun Trader (spokaneguntrader.com) put a banner on their front page, Bryce the web site owner is a super guy his web site is free, support him if you can.

I will not have my ID or CPL on me during the picnic, everyone else do what you are comfortable doing. I agree with SVG I am tired of this.

joejoejoe

Sorry you had to put up with that crap. PLEASE research ALL your options. Even if they do break the rules, you will be the one who comes out on top! http://flexyourrights.org/

I can't wait for the day I get some ignorant cop "school" me on my rights. Just more fuel for the fire in this backwards government we have.

"We the people."

Joe~

fetch

Joe, a year ago I personally gave information on state preemption and municipal code violations to the police training officer (coordinator) and to the city attorney. The expectation was to get the proper information to the cop on the beat and to correct the municipal codes. We were basically ignored. The cop on the street was given misinformation leading to Bennie's confrontations.
At the same time I told them that it fell onto our shoulders to inform the public about their rights so that people do not to freak out and call the police if they (the people) are in a situation or place where someone is open carrying.
And so it continues.

Phssthpok

At the risk of sounding like a parrot:

RCW 9A.36.070.

He committed a CRIME against you.

joejoejoe

fetch that is great that you are making an effort to inform the public. You are right to say we need to inform them because they are the ones who call the cops on us. It sucks that we don't have any other method than going to costly court to take care of these infringements upon our rights. If you haven't seen this (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/104606) yet, you are in for a freaking shock. This is why you should ALWAYS have a recorder of some sort on you.

Joe~