• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on a motorcycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armored_Pig

Hello, I'm new here!

I have been open carrying on my motorcycle--Glock 19, cheap fobus paddle holster 3 o'clock position. Mostly started doing it because I realized that with my gear on, it would be impossible to smoothly draw my LCP from my front pocket.

Well anyways, I have noticed that other motorists now give me all the space I could ever want on the road. Cars will stop 3 car lengths away--its wonderful!

Anybody else ride while OC'ing?

-Pig

sultan62

I carry a little here in NC while riding, but haven't noticed that effect. Will be doing it a little more tomorrow, and hope to see that effect. It would be nice if they gave us that space regardless. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they think we need less space than they would give any other automobile. (Keep in mind this is w/o the firearm, I haven't ridden much yet while OC.)

virginiatuck

Hello.

Well anyways, I have noticed that other motorists now give me all the space I could ever want on the road. Cars will stop 3 car lengths away--its wonderful!

Don't let that fool you. You are still mostly invisible to cagers and they're still a motorcyclists worst enemy. When you least expect it, OC or not, one will either:

1. Pull into the road in front of you;
  2. Make a left turn from the oncoming lane in front of you;
  3. Rear end you at a stop-light;
  4. Rear end you in highway traffic jams; or
  5. Sideswipe you on a multi-lane highway.
Also, I have found that our perception of peoples' reactions to OC are sometimes just in our heads. The mind is a funny thing...

It's also highly unlikely that you'll believe me. :D

-Pig

Yes. I ride from time to time, but not as much this year. There was talk on this forum about an OC ride in Virginia. I haven't seen the thread active for a while, I don't know if it was ever done or if it just needs someone who's really motivated to organize it. I'm sure you can find it if you search.

Lincoln7

I open carry whenever I ride. If the lady is on back her leg blocks view of the firearm a bit but it's always there. I have not noticed any response myself but I am usually paying attention to the road, etc when riding.

Don Barnett

I Do...In the Summer

I Open Carry in the summer as it is too difficult to conceal. I have not noticed anyone or any driver acting differently. LEO's have passed me in their patrol cars on my strong side; no response.

streetdoc

I OC all the time on my Bike, except to and from work since I am prohibited from having a firearm at work (please work on the parking lot law again). People just as close as ever even though I am carrying and I standout, large GSL and VCDL stickers on the rear of the saddlebags and a 45 on the right hip. If I get any reaction form other motorist it's usually a thumbs up.

801630742_CVDqa-S.jpg

I the one that was trying to set up a Virginia Motorcycle OC ride, I stopped after a huge lack of interest (only 12 riders responded to the poll) and no agreement on how to meet, how far to ride or where to ride.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ycle-Ride-Around-Virginia&highlight=streetdoc

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I OC almost always when I ride my Goldwing. Only twice have I had a visible reaction, and only one of those times could I be certain it was my sidearm. We were in heavy traffic, and a bus driver was trying to change lanes, coming in from my right (strong side) and behind me. He looked down at the gun, then at me, smiled and nodded.

The second time I was traveling at about 60 mph when someone passed me, honking and waving. I know she couldn't see my gun, so I expect it was either the 2AMEND license plate or the fact a woman was riding a Goldwing.

Even though spousal unit and I both ride touring bikes, and take up as much room in traffic as a car (in traffic, of course, we make an effort to stay close together), we have people deliberately cutting us off or worse. Bad enough when it's unintentional, but we've had more than one instance of deliberate "I'm more important than you, get out of my way" behavior. Guess that's due to the DC proximity.

M

McX

spousal unit. interesting phrase, mine i have always referred to as; my government.

All American Nightmare

Hello, I'm new here!

I have been open carrying on my motorcycle--Glock 19, cheap fobus paddle holster 3 o'clock position. Mostly started doing it because I realized that with my gear on, it would be impossible to smoothly draw my LCP from my front pocket.

-Pig

Prehaps a BFR get you you a little more room.

sol

I am prohibited from having a firearm at work (please work on the parking lot law again).

Not to steer too OT, but I am curious on this. What is the parking lot law? I can only assume your place of work does not allow weapons. In such a case, are you not allowed to stow your arm in your vehicle prior to entering your business?

Cheers,

wylde007

Not to steer too OT, but I am curious on this. What is the parking lot law? I can only assume your place of work does not allow weapons. In such a case, are you not allowed to stow your arm in your vehicle prior to entering your business?
Not presently. If the owner of the building is your boss and owns the fee simple of the property under the parking lot, too, then they can forbid weapons on their property.

My company has a similar "policy" but they do not own the parking lot, they only lease the building and the parking lot belongs to the office complex/management company. We do not have exclusive ingress/egress privilege.

Therefor, they cannot lawfully prevent me from stowing a weapon in my vehicle.

One of the laws I will be strongly advocating this coming session is "parking lot carry" which will effectively prohibit private businesses from exercising policy regarding the private vehicles (4th Amendment) of their employees which, in many instances, disarms them not only at their places of business (Gun Free Zones) but also from the time they exit their homes to the time they return.

I hope Philip and the VDCL group will stand firm on this one as it affects the greatest number of carriers and infringes unjustly on their right to self-defense by corporate policy/proxy.

BTW, I OC all the time on my Honda Shadow Spirit.

Last edited:

streetdoc

Cheers,

I work for Fairfax County Government (they don't like guns). We were working last year on getting a parking lot bill passed so that most employers, business and housing complexes could not prevent you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Cheers,

That's one of the better bills considered last year. Hopefully, it will be back again this time around.
Philip, I hope you're taking notes.:lol:

It's not an issue with me but is for 90% of the gun owners.
My son works for a Defense Contractor that ignored it for a long time but thanks to an employee who just had to brag, made it clear that guns were NOT allowed.

Then the idiot came here and fumed about it. I haven't seen him here for a while. Maybe he went back North.

Status
Not open for further replies.