Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Quality .45 acp Pistol For Concealed Carry?

Question Good Quality .45 acp Pistol For Concealed Carry?

Who makes a good .45 acp pistol? I want one for the future of CC in Wisconsin and to OC now. I want good quality but low price. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Could I get a price range please?
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

1911 pistol

Good quality costs money. You get what you pay for. A good quality USED 1911 might be the way to go.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

What I would consider good quality in a 1911 chambered for the .45ACP; as do many others, are Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, NightHawk and there are a slew of other custom makers. You should have around $2-3000.00 in your pocket.

A consumer pistol with lots of value for the buck would be Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Taurus, Smith & Wesson, Remington, STI/SVI, and others. These should have a fit and finish that is a cut above. $600 to $1500 or so.

Norinco, Rock Island, Thompson etc. good budget guns. These guns may vary in finish but will cost around $350 to 650.

The used market is a great place to look and your local dealer should be very helpful. Search Google for '1911 Manufacturers'.

Hope this helps,

Hardballer out.

McX
    perhapse contemplate the 10mm as i am.

Something you will also need to consider is which size 1911 you can conceal. I have both a standard 5" barreled one and a 3" barreled one. Both can be concealed, but have to be carried differently based on your body type.
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    perhapse contemplate the 10mm as i am.
    Ammo for the 10mm is a bit hard to find, when you do find it be prepared to shell out some nickles.

Springfield Armory XD and XDM both come in .45acp calibers. New they run about 600 dollars. Used, maybe 475+ depending on the previous owners degree of care. They are super easy* to clean (both field strip and complete teardown) and can eat thousands upon thousands of rounds without any problems.

*XDs are so easy to clean that I learned how to fix/modify my own gun on par with a professional gunsmith. I've never had any previous gun-smithing experience.
    Last edited by AdamXD; 07-25-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added footnote
    J.A.Salinas
    "Natural Selection is another way of God telling you you're an idiot"

Quote Originally Posted by goforlow View Post
    Something you will also need to consider is which size 1911 you can conceal. I have both a standard 5" barreled one and a 3" barreled one. Both can be concealed, but have to be carried differently based on your body type.
    +1

While not a 1911, I have a 4" XD-45 with tactical grip and a 3(ish) Taurus PT145. My PT145 would comfortably fit in most front pants pockets, while the XD certainly needs a holster of some sort. Right now my XD is my favorite to both carry and shoot.

I know I will get the haters

I carry a G36...very compact, and with a bit of practice, very accurate....just my .02

For decent quality and moderate cost you might consider the Taurus 845. 12 + 1 in .45AP with Novak sights. Should be able to find one for around $450. Jerry's Sport Center wholesale price is $349.90 blue. Unlimited transferrable lifetime warranty (lifetime of the firearm, not the person). Only things not covered are grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects(after one year) and customer abuse.

I have no trouble concealing a Third Generation Taurus Millenium Pro PT145. It holds 10+1. And, I got it for a steal at $350 + Tax new!

I really like it as it fits my big hand with stubby fingers and so far have not had any problems.

Price is not the only issue

Since you are contemplating making an investment in your future safety and that of your family, price is not the only issue. You want a handgun that fits comfortably in your hand, that has a smooth trigger on the press, and that "feels right". And, when WI comes of age and begins allowing concealed carry, you want a handgun that can be concealed - and quickly retrieved.

Many gun shops offer rentals. Once you have a few candidates, take them for a "test drive". No matter what your level of marksmanship, the one that gives you the most consistent grouping is the one that "fits" you.

Many posters have recommended XD or XD clones. These are good handguns and break down easily for cleaning. Having said that, there is a reason that so many shooters are die-hard 1911 fans and have been for 100 years. I own both styles.

Whatever your choice, the internet is full of video streams dealing with the proper procedures for breaking down each type of handgun for cleaning and oiling. Like your automobile, proper lubrication after cleaning insures trouble fee use.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I have no trouble concealing a Third Generation Taurus Millenium Pro PT145. It holds 10+1. And, I got it for a steal at $350 + Tax new!

I really like it as it fits my big hand with stubby fingers and so far have not had any problems.
    I too own a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-145 (10+1) and have just recently added the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-111 chambered in 9mm (12+1). They easily interchange in a Fobus SP11B paddle holster. The PT-145 was $379 + tax new at Cabela's and the PT-111 was a private sale ($300).
    Last edited by jpm84092; 07-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Another vote for the Springfield XD.

My XDc 45 is my EDC. Built like a tank, scary accurate, and reliable as a Swiss watch.

Taurus PT145 gets my vote.

I have been shopping for a .45acp CC hangun. I plan to pick up a Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 with my next pay check. I will let you know what I think after I put a thousand rounds thru it.

In 1911s, SIG, Springfield--US made, or Para would be my first choices--$900-1200. In striker fired or DA/SA, FN, M&P or Taurus 24/7 OSS are all good values and cost significantly less than the 1911s I mentioned. 1911s are harder to shoot well and generally lower capacity. Once mastered, they are the finest defensive pistols made. Glock and SA XD/M are also good guns, but lack features I like in striker fired pistols. See what feels best to you, shoot them if you can, and make what is at bottom a personal decision. And have fun doing it!

Exclamation Taurus PT-145 Failure To Feed

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    I have been shopping for a .45acp CC hangun. I plan to pick up a Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 with my next pay check. I will let you know what I think after I put a thousand rounds thru it.
    Taurus had a problem for a while with their .45 ACP Magazines sold with the Millennium Pro PT-145. The problem manifests itself as failure to feed with the round jamming against the feed ramp portion of the barrel assembly . The first 2 - 5 rounds jam if the magazine is full. There is generally nothing wrong with the handgun, it is the magazine that is at fault. If you encounter a defective magazine, DO NOT use the many internet "fixes" that others propose. Taurus has a lifetime defect warranty. Pack up the offending Magazine and ship to to them. Give the S/N of the handgun in your cover letter. They will send a new one by return mail. It is my understanding that the problem is clearing up since Taurus detected and fixed it. But it is possible that some defective magazines remain in the pipeline.

The problem is sporadic but Taurus is aware of it. One of my two factory supplied Magazines had this defect and they sent the replacement magazine promptly. The Taurus lifetime warranty applies to the product and follows the gun with each owner. Rossi (now owned by Taurus) has the same Warranty. The Warranty does not apply to defects in cosmetics after one year or to any damage sustained through owner misuse (such as firing HOT rounds).

The Taurus website has an unusual feature. Under the "Find My Gun" link, you enter the serial number and get the full model number, a link to the technical data sheet, and date of manufacture.

Glock 36 Is My Choice For Concealed Carry

Carried my G36 in .45 ACP for four years concealed in Florida. Tried several guns such as the XD in .45 with a 4 inch barrel as well as an XD in 9mm with a 3 inch barrel. Too thick and too large for comfortable carry with summer attire. Carried a Sig P226 many years ago. Also too large for concealed carry. Finally settled on the G36 with single stack magazine. I added a Pierce grip extension for one more round so I have a total of 7 in the magazine or 8 if carrying with a chambered round.

Now we're cookin'.

Though I am a die hard 1911 fan, I would be just as comfortable with an XD or Taurus as well as the proven Glock.

These are all fine handguns.

Still, for me the choice for the 1911 was about the caliber when I first got one and then the history (cool factor) as well as the fact that many spec ops or black ops unit in the world carry one by choice if given that option. Hmmmmm. I can see why. Besides, my shootin' buddy at the time was a retired Army Ranger Armorer. Guess what he tuned and modified for his unit.

Yes I know there are others carried too but the 1911 is at the top of the pile. Still for our purposes, many of the sidearms mentioned above would perform an admirable job.
    Last edited by hardballer; 07-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.

I would recommend a Glock 30. I have one that has functioned flawlessly for me, very accurate, recoil not what I would expect of a compact .45 ACP. I carry it concealed with an IWB holster.

I've Been Eyeing The Glock 30

I agree that the Glock 30 is a great concealed carry gun. I am looking hard at a G30 but will wait a bit. I also am looking at the Kel-Tec PMR-30 in .22 WMR. Yes, I KNOW it is a .22 but heck, with 30 rounds of .22 WMR in one standard magazine....well, that is a LOT of firepower and cheaper to shoot and train with than the center fire guns most of us carry.

If I can get a good retention holster for the PMR-30 (when it is available....the gun that is) I will carry it instead of my G36 for open carry but still carry the G36 concealed (where legal). I love my Glock 36.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockMeisterG21 View Post
    Could I get a price range please?
    I would like to keep the price under at or under 500 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kd6sxa View Post
    I would like to keep the price under at or under 500 bucks.
    Try Gander, Monsoor's and Webke's in La Crosse.

You would likely pay a lot less at Wiebke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast