• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Para warthog

mista_g713

im looking at buying a para warthog, i love the concept of a subcompact 1911 with 10 rds. i havent seen one in person, i would probably have to buy online. I would like some info as to how wide the grip is, does the grips width compare to maybe a glock 30? i have a taurus pt145 which fits my hand perfectly, so do single stack 1911s. any info is appreciated!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Since none of the 1911 guru's have jumped on this, I'll attempt to help based upon my own experience.

Para Warthawg is available in a few different versions, so research what is going to fit your needs before you make a final decision on which version.

Slim hawg - single stack version
Warthawg - double stack version
Nitehawg - double stack version with night sights

If you're already familiar with the Glock 30, then you'll have some idea of the width of the grip itself. Being all metal there's a little more thickness that can be shaved on these by the manufacturer, but they are somewhat comparable in grip, though I think the Para is slightly slimmer front strap to mainspring housing.

You'll find that the slim profile of the Para slide assembly makes it a great product for carry, but you'll also notice that being an all metal pistol that there's a bit of weight to it fully loaded. You can get used to it quite easily and I strongly urge if you're an OC'er that you go leather that fits tight against the body on the Para (and any other 1911) as it can help with how much weight you notice.

The other option to the Warthawg is to look at the Para LDA (light double action). The trigger on that thing will surprise you immensely! I missed my chance to get into both pistols and somewhat regret it as I liked them both.

You can also pick up some slimmer grips to fit the double stack Hawgs so they aren't as wide, that can help a lot with hand fitment.

Good luck with your future purchase.

Slim: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
Wart: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
Nite: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Last edited:

mista_g713

thanks for the info!
the one i have been looking at is the double stack warthog with no nite sites. if it is a bit slimmer than the glock 30 it should be fine for me, as the glock 30sf fits my hand perfectly and it is thinner from front to back strap.

im not gonna open carry, ill cc in a crossbreed supertuck, if its available for the warthog.
where can i purchase replacement grips for the warthog? i have searched but all i am able to find are the hogue molded grips.
thanks for the help!

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

thanks for the info!
the one i have been looking at is the double stack warthog with no nite sites. if it is a bit slimmer than the glock 30 it should be fine for me, as the glock 30sf fits my hand perfectly and it is thinner from front to back strap.

im not gonna open carry, ill cc in a crossbreed supertuck, if its available for the warthog.
where can i purchase replacement grips for the warthog? i have searched but all i am able to find are the hogue molded grips.
thanks for the help!

Should be the same fitment as the 1911, but send Mark at Crossbreed an email to ask just to be sure. info@crossbreedholsters.com Tell Mark one of Kelley's Police and Tactical Supply customers referred you. Remember, you can get one in cow hide dyed black or the brown horse hide. My personal preference is the horse hide, but it is more expensive.

As for the grips, get on the 1911 forums (there's 2 of them) and shop around in the classifieds, you might find what you want there. You can also inquire there as to where a good source of grips for the Para will be, they'll have more information there than you can handle at some point.

www.1911forum.com
http://forum.m1911.org/

Most of what you will find without hitting the 1911 boards will be the rubber side or rubber wrap around grips. There are custom grip makers all over the internet. Try VZ Grips to see if they have or can make you a custom set. My favorites were the Aliens and the Operators.

http://www.vzgrips.com/

I'd suggest grips by Marschall, but he's been backed up for quite some time and one never knows if or when he'll get back to an email.

Last edited:

mista_g713

yes i just checked the crossbreed website and they have an option for widebody 1911s. i currently have a glock 27 supertuck in black cowhide, i really like it. i may go with horsehide for the next one.

I didnt know that standard 1911 grips will fit the warthog. Now that i know i should be able to find a few manufacturers.

thanks for the info!

Dreamer

You'll find that the slim profile of the Para slide assembly makes it a great product for carry, but you'll also notice that being an all metal pistol that there's a bit of weight to it fully loaded. You can get used to it quite easily and I strongly urge if you're an OC'er that you go leather that fits tight against the body on the Para (and any other 1911) as it can help with how much weight you notice.

Yeah, but when a group of rogue Canadian high-school students accidentally release their plastic-eating bacteria into the environment, you'll be glad it's an all-metal firearm, when all the Glock owners will be wondering why their guns are turning into Swiss (or should I say Austrian) cheese before their eyes... ;)

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/boy-discovers-microbe-that-eats-plastic

I carry an all-steel Para S-14.45 with an extra mag every day. It's not heavy or uncomfortable at all. Get a good belt, and a proper holster, and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I didnt know that standard 1911 grips will fit the warthog. Now that i know i should be able to find a few manufacturers.

thanks for the info!

Standard holsters for the 1911 will fit ANY Para Ordnance--single or double stack, with the exception of the older model Serpa CQCs. They fit, but they rub the metal swell of the grip just above the mag release and behind the trigger, and will wear off your bluing in about a week of carry. The newer Serpas are designed with more "flare" to the throat, and don't rub the metal of the grip at all...

Parts for the standard 1911 are about 90% swappable into a Para double stack, with the four exceptions of the trigger, the magazine (duh!), the mag release, the grip screws and bushings, and the grip panels.

The grip panels on the double stack Para's are undercut to make room for the swell in the grip, and have a little tab on the top back of the grip to cover the trigger bow slot that is machined in the receiver. Standard 1911 grip panels WILL NOT fit a double stack Para.

However, you CAN get some nice grips for the Para from Brownells (carrys Navidrex brand), Smith & Alexander (my favorite place for Para parts)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9558/Product/PARA_ORDNANCE_DOUBLE_DIAMOND_CHECKERED_GRIPS

http://www.smithandalexander.com/grips.html

There just aren't a lot of people making nice wood grips for Para double stacks. But the good news is that the few sources out there are VERY high quality. I have a set of S&A double-diamond checkered rosewood grips on my S-14.45, and they look and handle great. The stainless engraved grip screws I also got from S&A make it look top-shelf.

And S&A is a top-notch company. They are helpful, courteous, and ship quickly. If they don't have something in stock, they will often send you to another seller--how many companies would do that?

Last edited:

jpm84092

Para Model 1911 Ultra Compact

Hi,

I do not visit this forum very often, but I noticed that you are looking at the HOG series from Para. Before the Warthog and Night hog got their current names they were designated the Para P10-45 and P 10-45 NS. The difference is the night sights and I own an older Para P10-45 NS. There was no change to the weapon, just the name and some of the cosmetics and grips that are available. The P10-45 has a blue steel frame but a stainless barrel. I had my P10-45 NS out and did some range work just two weeks ago. Great little gun; all metal and thus heavy compared to an XD, but very easy to control while sending .45 ACP down the pipe.

For a Model 1911 Ultra Compact, this is a remarkably accurate gun. It has great balance and good "hand" (the way it feels in the hand). While my Mil-spec Springfield Model 1911 Ultra Compact Officer's Special has trouble with "discount factory rounds" (Federal American Eagle, Winchester in the white box - and the other factory discount rounds that have slight problems or defects), my Para will eat them all day long. (Mil-spec firearms often have failure to eject problems with inferior ammunition that expands beyond specification once fired and thus cannot be safely reloaded. That is what happened with my Springfield, the rounds got stuck in the chamber and only partially ejected. I had to pry them out of the chamber with my knife - ammo problem and not the gun's fault, but that little Para does not seem to care.)

I am by no means an expert marksman with a pistol, but using the FBI range qualification test, Phase I (the closer ranges, 6 at 9 feet, 12 at 15 feet, 12 at 21 feet, and using a B-27 target, I managed to shoot a 288 / 300 with the little P10-56 NS.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:

mista_g713

thanks for all the info..im getting closer and closer to buying one, if i could only find one in town.

Dreamer

thanks for all the info..im getting closer and closer to buying one, if i could only find one in town.

You will find LOTS of used Glocks, XDs, Smiths, Berettas, and Makarovs in gun stores.

You will NOT find a lot of used Para's, Sigs, Wilsons, or Ed Browns.

Gee, I wonder why that is? ;)

I will NEVER get rid of my Para. It is one of the finest firearms I've ever owned. And I intend to buy more Para models in the future. Para owners are sort of like Volkswagen Beetle owners--we LIKE the "weird factor", we dig the fact that they are a little on the clunky side, and we gladly pass up the "newest and best" of the more "modern" guns for their rock-solid construction, reliability, and ease of customization.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

If you cannot find one in town and have a trusted FFL holder, continue that relationship and have them order you one or order online and have it shipped to that FFL holder for transfer.

To give you an idea: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=warthog

You will find LOTS of used Glocks, XDs, Smiths, Berettas, and Makarovs in gun stores.

You will NOT find a lot of used Para's, Sigs, Wilsons, or Ed Browns.

Gee, I wonder why that is? ;)
Because we beat them up, then trade them in for new Glocks! :D That and some Glock'ers seem to transition to the XD, then a few come running back to the Glock shortly after.

Used Sigs seem to sit on shelves in my area these days. Ed Browns aren't exactly popular here either, some folks just don't know what they're missing. As for the Para...well those fall in the "buy it when you see it" category because they just don't last long if they're in good condition and priced right.

Last edited:

mista_g713

i have seen them on buds, thouht about putting one on layaway. however id like to actually hold one before i buy one, id like to feel exactly how thick the grip is, hopefully its not too thick for me. gonna try to find one tomorow.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Remember, these will feel very different in the hand when they have the Hogue grips on them. I think they feel better in the hand with the Hogue, but not everyone would agree.

Dreamer

Remember, these will feel very different in the hand when they have the Hogue grips on them. I think they feel better in the hand with the Hogue, but not everyone would agree.

And if you've got big hands or long fingers, a set of good checkered wood grips are a huge improvement over the stock plastic ones. I hated the stock grips on my Para--the checkering is so sharp that it actually hurt to shoot sometimes, and would get STILL get slippery if it was really hot and I was sweating.

Checkered rosewood made a HUGE improvement--not just in look and feel, but in my ability to control it when firing quick strings as well...