• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range today HOGAN conservation

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Greets,

Aint got a lot of time before the troops show up. Headed up to Hogan conservation area range. We are taking a canopy for sun relief along with an inverter and industrial fan!!!! Anyone whom understands range safety is quite welcome to join in, bout ten of us leaving Wentzville at 8am and expect to be there most of the day.

toys:
.22 long rifle/pistol, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 38, 357,357 sig, 44mag, 30-30 lever gun, 308 bolt, Nagent, 12ga, case of skeet. and I am not real sure what else others may own.

I am never above allowing another to try my toys under supervision so feel free to join if you like. Recommend you bring a chair, we have no spares, plenty of ice if you bring your own water or soda. Just step down to the tent and say hi.

Before I catch some extra crap, Keltec, Springfield, Sig, Rugar, Marlin, Savage and Colt are the only brands along for the ride, if you wanna play with a Glock, your gonna have to bring your own. If you do and it is anything but the 9mm subcompact model, I would like to try it out if you do not mind, you never know, I just might like it.

:)

PS. Fussing on the internet does not impact me one way or another, all are welcome as on here we are all just blinking cursors in my mind.

silo

Can't make today, but if you guys go out another day I'd love to make it. Never been to that range. Any info about it? I thought I read online that it's unsupervised, right? So it's not as annoying as Busch with the 3 second rule, no draw, etc?

Bug Eater

It seems like I'm not the only one that would have liked to go out and shoot. What about doing a monthly outing to shoot? Never been to either of these, but they are outdoors:

Jay Henges Shooting Range
Busch Conservation Area

They might be closer for more people than Logan Conservation.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It seems like I'm not the only one that would have liked to go out and shoot. What about doing a monthly outing to shoot? Never been to either of these, but they are outdoors:

Jay Henges Shooting Range
Busch Conservation Area

They might be closer for more people than Logan Conservation.

Those are MDR attended ranges. I have enjoyed shooting at both of them, however you will have to endure the direction of the range masters which since you have never experienced it I can tell you most find it very very annoying, off the chain annoying.

You do not really have to do anything wrong for one of them to pretty much go off on you from what others have said, I can not really speak to that, the only thing they ever called me out on was for getting to flip the line hot plate. Out of each our you get about 30 minutes of actual line hot time which means you can load magazines and shoot for only that period. They are SUPER strict about the 3 seconds rule, meaning you fire wait 3 seconds before you fire again. While I understand muzzle control and safety, 3 seconds is dramatic over kill. No holster draw allowed ect.

Great to sight in a rifle or target train with a pistol, but that's it.

I will likely return to either of them in the future, but they will never be a regular stop for me, I would much rather make the drive and have for a long time. I also used to have a membership at the Beleville shooting range and it was not really that big deal, just kept a pistol cased up and "when in Rome" or I would drive over on a Saturday morning. Shoot, I have driven to Imperial far more to shoot than I have Henges or Busch.

If I bought a new rifle or scope I might make the trip to the closer ranges, but something would have to be pressing me real hard for time. I like range safety, I like a range master that enforces good safety standards, I do not enjoy power mongers whom get off on controlling others behavior and I have seen such activities at Busch. IMHO it makes the shooting experience far less relaxing and fun and they intimidate the hell out of new shooters. Since I consider such behavior bad for the sport, I tend not to give them much support or recommend them to others. Loading mags while outside of your booth while the firearm is breech open in the booth is not an unsafe act, but I have witnessed them going off on someone. Since the booth is roped off, does a range master really need to check every single firearm across the entire line to be sure it is breech open before anyone goes down range?

In other words, your going to spend more time waiting to shoot than you are shooting and you may have to listen to some guy stop the entire range from firing so he can yell at the guy in booth 3 for firing too fast etc.

If an event gets held at one of them I may well go, but I will never organize or plan an event at one of them myself and you won't see a pop up run to one of them from me. I would much rather drive the additional 30 -45 minutes and have a relaxing day of shooting. We had a blast, soda, sandwiches, chips, and about 10,000 cases to reload lol, can't beat that for a relaxing Sunday morning/afternoon!

silo

I'd love to have a get together, but would rather it be at an unattended range. Busch is OK for a Sunday half an hour shoot, but that's it. As he said, the range officers, while very safe, are annoying as hell. THREE SECONDS between shots? Ridiculous. Popping off a magazine is not inherently unsafe.

Also, there are often lines at Busch. So good luck getting a group together and getting into stalls at once. Oh, and only two people per stall at a time. Makes going with a couple really difficult.

Bug Eater

WOW! I had no idea! That does not sound like an enjoyable time at all.

Is there an outdoor range in Imperial? I have been to Top Gun a couple of times. Nice guys, I've not had any problems there.

I would still like to get out and shoot. I'm just not familiar with any of the outdoor ranges.