• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma break-in turns deadly when 'victim' pulls gun and fires - By Bob Unruh

protector84

I think some people are a bit paranoid here. I don't see how the government would have time to read all of these posts unless something particularly stood out. Second, I and most of us don't post under our real names. So if I'm involved in a self-defense shooting that is pretty obvious (i.e. the front door is torn out and the attacker is dead with a weapon in his hands), there is a chance I would even be released on the scene and not charged at all. Even if I was charged, something that was said on some internet board months or even years prior would be considered hearsay. Unless you are making a direct threat of death against someone, it is just meaningless talk that will not hold water in court.

eye95

IANAL, but isn't a statement against interests an exception to hearsay? Even worse, hearsay is when person A relates what person B said. Anything person B types onto a message board would not be being related by a second person. There would be a physical audit trail, traceable to person B.

BerettaFS92Custom

Really?

I don't see anything unusual about the story. Skeptics are assuming the criminals are intelligent. A lot of crooks do stupid things. Criminals also use their own inflated egos to boost their confidence that they have full control over their victims. Plus, they can be under the influence of drugs and alcohol as well impairing their judgment. At the same time a lot of victims can be pretty stupid as well. Just because the boyfriend wasn't tactical like we are doesn't mean the story didn't happen.

A least she got the bad guys. I was hoping for a better job though. I think that if an attacker was about to rape my girlfriend, I'd shoot him and then watch him stagger back out the front door. Then I'd drag him back in, shoot him again, and then put a pillow over his face to make sure he's dead. Then later take a trip to the cemetary and put a few rounds in his headstone. Maybe even dig up the casket and put some rounds in that. Well you get the point.

You best sell your guns. mess with a crime scene and the forensic evidence and i would bet you would be up for MURDER you best give them up or get some formal training good luck on those thoughts

frommycolddeadhands

As for the original post, I agree that some of the story doesn't quite mesh up, but I think that is the fault of the journalist who didn't paint a very clear picture. I'm glad the lady is OK, and she was able to defend herself.

As for the argument about when to stop shooting, dragging people back inside the house, etc. I don't see any reason to drag someone back into the house. If someone breaks in and I shoot them likely it will be with a double barrel 12 ga, and I really don't see a whole lot of chance for survival on the part of the bad guy. If for some reason I gotta grab my pistol, I'm shooting until the creep stops moving. Center mass and head shots. I'm not intersted in shoulders, legs, knees, or toes. I'm going for vitals. If I shoot an intruder and he manages to stumble out the front door- fine. He can go bleed to death or seek medical attention, I really don't care. I'm not a judge nor jury, or a cop. What happens to the intruder, or just about anyone else outside the walls that I call my home is of very little concern to me, but once they cross that threshold they are in my world, and that isn't where they want to be. I'll be right inside the doorway protecting me and mine.

MKEgal

As for the argument about when to stop shooting, dragging people back inside the house, etc. I don't see any reason to drag someone back into the house. ... He can go bleed to death or seek medical attention, I really don't care.

My original thought on reading that (gonna drag him back inside) post was "Why would you want that mess inside? Let him bleed on the concrete or ground outdoors."

And of course, yes, it would be tampering with a crime scene.

But I see nothing wrong with ensuring that there are no more people illegally inside your house before attempting to perform first aid on the ex-intruder, or at least looking him over and seeing that he has injuries incompatible with life.

As for the woman who was attacked, I think it's an appropriate use of the phrase "YOU GO GIRL!"
I can understand being calm afterwards, it's called shock. I'm sure she got the shakes later.

I can understand the criminals being dumb enough to want to humiliate her by making her crawl across the floor rather than get into her purse themselves. Power & control.

I'm glad her limited supply of bullets was enough to stop the 2 of them. One reason I decided against carrying a revolver was the low capacity. If I'm trying to stop someone from hurting me, I want as many little pieces of lead as I can reasonably have to throw at them. (In my Glock a 17-round magazine looks just as 'right' as a 10-round one, but the next size up is a 33-round, which I think looks silly & ungainly for daily carry.)

One thing I had a question about: "within 20 seconds of her entering, the suspects followed"
Is there anyone else who locks the door behind her? Unless I'm literally setting stuff on the floor (or stove) in the kitchen & turning around to step out the door again (it's a small kitchen), I lock at least the screen door behind me.
It'd slow them down & alert me of trouble...

Also, the first thing I do getting out of my car is to put on the gun again.
When I arrived home well after dark last night, I thought about what a great hiding place my (dark, screened) back yard is. (Of course, they'd be eaten alive by mosquitos, & probably give themselves away by slapping at them.)

Last edited: