Thread: Walmart Policy for OC?

Question Walmart Policy for OC?

I looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if I was asked to leave by a walmart person I could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what I was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?
    Last edited by Colt 1911; 07-25-2010 at 01:47 PM.

There was some debate about that awhile back. There is a recording of a message somewere on this site. Dont know if that problem was ever fully resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt 1911 View Post
    I looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if I was asked to leave by a walmart person I could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what I was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?
    Their corporate policy is to recognize state law. But, if you are informed to leave by an agent of the owner, you must leave or face arrest for trespass.

Walmart is private property. They can allow or disallow what they desire. One "niggle" is 'which person is an actual agent of the property owner.' If someone in a specific Walmart does NOT allow you to carry within the boundaries of state law, IMHO the prudent course of action would be to leave when informed, get the name of the person who informs you to leave, and follow up with corporate.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

^ Yes that is why I said put the gun away in the car and then talk to the manager and ask him to call corp. Would that solve it? Or would I need to email them/call ?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    1. dont challenge them there on the spot. Find out who the manager is and contact them after you leave.
    3. NEVER go put your gun in the car.. people see THAT and they know what car to break into to get a gun and now you are unarmed too.
    3. the SEARCH TOOL on this message board works.. do you ever even TRY to use it?

1. dont challenge them there on the spot. Find out who the manager is and contact them after you leave.
    3. NEVER go put your gun in the car.. people see THAT and they know what car to break into to get a gun and now you are unarmed too
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Colt 1911; 07-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    You'll also find that the Policy also allows a Manager to remove anyone that's causing a disruption.

Even though it may be legal in Va, they could remove someone for wearing a cat on their head if customers complain.

That's the loophole that some managers use. They just need a complaint or two.

Search function

Holy God you must be special. This has been discussed 5345iu45608u43 times.

Quote Originally Posted by colt 1911 View Post
    i looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if i was asked to leave by a walmart person i could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what i was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? Could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?
    pm sent!

^ Yes that is why I said put the gun away in the car and then talk to the manager and ask him to call corp. Would that solve it? Or would I need to email them/call ?
    You are pretty new to all of this.. you should sit back and learn before you call and HELP any of us. It is hard to call and educate others when you don't yet know yourself.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    It has become painfully obvious to me (especially by Colt's response to Ed's post), that Colt is a child, or an anti, who has no desire to participate in the normal discourse that is this forum. He objective it would seem, is to get our goat. I vote for ignoring all of his posts, and certainly not replying to them.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    It has become painfully obvious to me (especially by Colt's response to Ed's post), that Colt is a child, or an anti, who has no dsire to participate in the normal discourse that is this forum. He objective it would seem, is to get our goat. I vote for ignoring all of his posts, and certainly not replying to them.
    Yep!

All i have to say is dont worry so much. Just go about your normal day with the gun OC and i'd be willing to bet you wont even have somebody come directly to you and say anything about it being their. I was nervous the first time i OC'd and just wnet out and tried it and had no problems at all. And OC almost all the time now. Hope this helps

go to a couple OC dinners or breakfast(s) and ask questions in person of other open carriers.. maybe make a friend and go to Walmart together, etc so you get used to the idea and reactions and interactions, etc.

Colt 1911,

Since you're a Tidewater guy, which Wal-Mart do you frequent?

Probably some of us have experience with that particular store.

The greenbrier area walmart/target maybe I will come to a OC dinner next time at that golden corral. I saw on posts back that you guys go there often.
    Last edited by Colt 1911; 07-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.

York County Wal-mart evacuated; woman taken hostage at knife-point

WVEC-TV (ch 13) is reporting that York County Sheriff's deputies are responding, and have rescued the victim, who suffered cuts, and arrested the perp.

See...just like that, Colt 1911 is sounding just like us with the "who needs a gun at..." posts

I was just in hampton this week, scary place. In the day time. People jay walking. People making sceens in stores

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Visiting Wal-mart is like cutting into a little slice of Oddball America. If you have never seen www.peopleofwalmart.com, you are missing out on pure comedy.

In the past 2 weeks, I have visited 3 different Richmond area Wal-marts, picking up things for the business. I've been there on several occassions and during different times. Quite a number of visits have been from 11pm-2am. The people I have encountered have been....interesting.

Last night, I was apparently shopping with Chris Brown, the singer at the Short Pump Wal-mart. Sure wish I could tell you what he sings, but alas, I can't.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Visiting Wal-mart is like cutting into a little slice of Oddball America. If you have never seen www.peopleofwalmart.com, you are missing out on pure comedy.

In the past 2 weeks, I have visited 3 different Richmond area Wal-marts, picking up things for the business. I've been there on several occassions and during different times. Quite a number of visits have been from 11pm-2am. The people I have encountered have been....interesting.

Last night, I was apparently shopping with Chris Brown, the singer at the Short Pueremp Wal-mart. Sure wish I could tell you what he sings, but alas, I can't.
    I went there to get a video the other night (morning) and wore my video glasses. I was amazed that I was not the only one wearing sunglasses.

Did someone say Walmart??

The Virginian-Pilot
    July 27, 2010
    YORK COUNTY

A two-hour standoff in a York County Walmart ended Tuesday afternoon when a man stabbed his ex-girlfriend, critically wounding her, law officials said.

Authorities responded about 12:40 p.m. to a report of a stabbing at the store's optical center, said Sgt. Dennis Ivey of the York/Poquoson Sheriff's Office.

A deputy discovered a man holding a woman at knife-point, Ivey said. The man told the deputy to get back or he would cut the woman.

Authorities began two hours of negotiation with the man, but he stabbed the woman before surrendering, Ivey said.

The woman, an optical center employee, was taken to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, where she is in critical condition, Ivey said.

James Perry Davis, 49, of the 1000 block of 26th St. in Newport News, is charged with malicious wounding and abduction, he said.

The Walmart was evacuted soon after the woman was taken hostage, Ivey said, and no one else was injured.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Last night, I was apparently shopping with Chris Brown, the singer at the Short Pump Wal-mart. Sure wish I could tell you what he sings, but alas, I can't.
    He's from Tappahannock, and rumor has it that I went to HS with his mom, but I don't know who she is, so I can't say for sure. I don't tell just anyone that he is from my home town... so don't spread it around.

BTW, he's the guy that got all the news a while back for beating up on his girlfriend, Rihanna.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    BTW, he's the guy that got all the news a while back for beating up on his girlfriend, Rihanna.
    Thanks, I had no idea who y'all were talking about.