• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Policy for OC?

Colt 1911

I looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if I was asked to leave by a walmart person I could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what I was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?

Last edited:

wrightme

I looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if I was asked to leave by a walmart person I could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what I was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?

Their corporate policy is to recognize state law. But, if you are informed to leave by an agent of the owner, you must leave or face arrest for trespass.

Walmart is private property. They can allow or disallow what they desire. One "niggle" is 'which person is an actual agent of the property owner.' If someone in a specific Walmart does NOT allow you to carry within the boundaries of state law, IMHO the prudent course of action would be to leave when informed, get the name of the person who informs you to leave, and follow up with corporate.

Colt 1911

^ Yes that is why I said put the gun away in the car and then talk to the manager and ask him to call corp. Would that solve it? Or would I need to email them/call ?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

1. dont challenge them there on the spot. Find out who the manager is and contact them after you leave.
3. NEVER go put your gun in the car.. people see THAT and they know what car to break into to get a gun and now you are unarmed too.
3. the SEARCH TOOL on this message board works.. do you ever even TRY to use it?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You'll also find that the Policy also allows a Manager to remove anyone that's causing a disruption.

Even though it may be legal in Va, they could remove someone for wearing a cat on their head if customers complain.

That's the loophole that some managers use. They just need a complaint or two.

simmonsjoe

Search function

Holy God you must be special. This has been discussed 5345iu45608u43 times.

ODA 226

i looked at a few threads back and people say that walmart policy is to follow state law, so if i was asked to leave by a walmart person i could challenge them? I would first put my gun in the car so no hassle but it sounds like what i was reading from other post they say walmart policy is to follow state law? Could someone give me the link please? So walmart is not under private prop?

pm sent!

ed

^ Yes that is why I said put the gun away in the car and then talk to the manager and ask him to call corp. Would that solve it? Or would I need to email them/call ?

You are pretty new to all of this.. you should sit back and learn before you call and HELP any of us. It is hard to call and educate others when you don't yet know yourself.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
It has become painfully obvious to me (especially by Colt's response to Ed's post), that Colt is a child, or an anti, who has no desire to participate in the normal discourse that is this forum. He objective it would seem, is to get our goat. I vote for ignoring all of his posts, and certainly not replying to them.

Last edited:

curtiswr

It has become painfully obvious to me (especially by Colt's response to Ed's post), that Colt is a child, or an anti, who has no dsire to participate in the normal discourse that is this forum. He objective it would seem, is to get our goat. I vote for ignoring all of his posts, and certainly not replying to them.

Yep!

joshbaker

All i have to say is dont worry so much. Just go about your normal day with the gun OC and i'd be willing to bet you wont even have somebody come directly to you and say anything about it being their. I was nervous the first time i OC'd and just wnet out and tried it and had no problems at all. And OC almost all the time now. Hope this helps:)

ed

go to a couple OC dinners or breakfast(s) and ask questions in person of other open carriers.. maybe make a friend and go to Walmart together, etc so you get used to the idea and reactions and interactions, etc.

Colt 1911

The greenbrier area walmart/target maybe I will come to a OC dinner next time at that golden corral. I saw on posts back that you guys go there often.

Last edited:

2a4all

York County Wal-mart evacuated; woman taken hostage at knife-point

WVEC-TV (ch 13) is reporting that York County Sheriff's deputies are responding, and have rescued the victim, who suffered cuts, and arrested the perp.