• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about open carry laws

SilveradoSam

I'm new to the forums, sorry if this has been asked before. I have an AR-15 that I would like to get out and use more but I don't know if it is legal to carry it on my back while I'm on my motorcycle. I also have a single six .22 that my parents gave to me to use when camping, is it legal to have this pistol when I am in town and on my bike? Thanks for the help! P.S. I'm 18.

*Additional information - I live across the street from a catholic school and right next door to a pre-school and need to know if there is any laws that will impede my abilities to carry/use my firearms. I don't want to make a scene at all for the kids so I just leave through the back when I have a rifle.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Best thing to do is lookup your state statutes and read them. You need to do your due diligence. You can get opinions on forums. But they are only that, opinions. If you want to do something with such high stakes as carry a firearm, you better get comfortable and knowledgeable with statutes. If you go to the wrong place carrying, you can be disarmed, detained, arrested, cited, and firearm seized and destroyed. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't agree with most of the regulation...but it's still there and we have to be able to deal with it. As well as the immature ignorant anti's that create most of the problem.
You can also lookup somebody in your area and start talking with them. Otherwise the "Search" button is your friend. Read and research is how you learn.
On another note welcome to the board, there is a ton of information on here.

ISRAEL

Welcome

Best thing to do is lookup your state statutes and read them. You need to do your due diligence. You can get opinions on forums. But they are only that, opinions. If you want to do something with such high stakes as carry a firearm, you better get comfortable and knowledgeable with statutes. If you go to the wrong place carrying, you can be disarmed, detained, arrested, cited, and firearm seized and destroyed. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't agree with most of the regulation...but it's still there and we have to be able to deal with it. As well as the immature ignorant anti's that create most of the problem.
You can also lookup somebody in your area and start talking with them. Otherwise the "Search" button is your friend. Read and research is how you learn.
On another note welcome to the board, there is a ton of information on here.

I think Idaho is an open carry heaven, it is an OC gold star, I do OC. every place any time , I think John or Ed can help you better, they know more about the Idaho laws, and I want to invitye you to our monthly meeting every 2nd thursday of the month at Sunrise cafe in downtown Meridian, again Welcome to the OC movement.

Vandal

The simple answer is yes you can OC your rifle on your bike, I just don't recommend it. I will guarantee you that Moscow PD will get called and you will get to meet some of them, most of my experiences where good with MPD and OC but some of their younger guys get pretty excited.

If you are going to OC know the laws and be ready to recite them for the cops, especially when the college students are in town. I had all of 2 encounters in the 3 years I have OC'd in Moscow and Pullman.

Last edited:

Louie86

Vandal is correct on the eagerness if that's what you want to call it of some of the younger deputies on MPD. I have never nor do I know of anyone who has ever had a problem with the Latah County Sheriffs office. I actually have a friend who OC'd his AR on his back to go to the range one weekend. We didn't have a problem but that's not to say you wouldn't. Vandal is also correct about the college students when school is in session I seem to have the cops show up more often than not if I am anywhere other than Winco (Winco is very open carry friendly in my experience). I would be highly surprised if you even got a second look for carrying a single six while riding I would just make sure you had a really good retention holster. I am in town year around so let me know if you would like to go to the range some weekend. As for the school problem I have never found anything that ever says you can't but reading the laws yourself is a good idea if you are still worried about it go ask one of the Latah County Deputies.