Thread: Is the Glove Compartment OC?

Is the Glove Compartment OC?

From what I've read in the past, I'm pretty sure one can store a loaded gun in one's glove box in the state of KY and it's counted as Open Carry.

Can someone give me a definite yes or no answer? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Southpawtact View Post
    From what I've read in the past, I'm pretty sure one can store a loaded gun in one's glove box in the state of KY and it's counted as Open Carry.

Can someone give me a definite yes or no answer? Thank you
    It is not "OC", but it is not concealed, either. It is specifically mentioned in the KRS as being an acceptable place to carry, and not be considered concealed.
    I am an LEO.
    EDIT: It must be the dashboard box, and not the center console box.
    Last edited by aegri_mentis; 07-25-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Also, the glove compartment is considered to be in the dash on the passenger side, not the center console even if your vehicle only has a center console.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    Also, the glove compartment is considered to be in the dash on the passenger side, not the center console even if your vehicle only has a center console.
    I disagree with your interpretation. According to KRS 527.020 the manufacturer determines what a glove compartment is. " ...regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer,...". So, if Buick decides to put a glove box on the dash in the middle and so calls it a glove box in their owners manual, then its a glove box and you can put your weapon there legally. Anybody else think this way?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    I disagree with your interpretation. According to KRS 527.020 the manufacturer determines what a glove compartment is. " ...regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer,...". So, if Buick decides to put a glove box on the dash in the middle and so calls it a glove box in their owners manual, then its a glove box and you can put your weapon there legally. Anybody else think this way?
    That would be tricky, but the courts, at least up until now, have always ruled any compartment between the front seats to be a "center console", and not a glove box.

Not my interpretation, it's the court's.

http://162.114.92.72/COA/2003-CA-000034.pdf

The everyday meaning of “glove compartment” is the
    factory-installed compartment in the dash on the passenger’s
    side of the vehicle.

Gutshot beat me to it.

Plain, common or everyday meaning

Plain, common or everyday meaning changes from term to term in the Appellate as well as the Supreme Court. I believe the fight is that the common everyday meaning of glove compartment has changed since 2003. Glove compartments are listed in several locations in different vehicles and I believe with the right case and right attorney that this would be ruled differently or sent on to the Supreme Court where a more satisfied ruling would be afforded. "All words and phrases shall be construed according to the COMMON and APPROVED usage of the language,...". This is where I believe this will turn. Just my thoughts

While I see your point, I've never yet seen any vehicle that even if equipped with a "box on the dash" that didn't also have a standard glove box as well. In this case the box in front of the passenger seat is where it has to be. IF a vehicle ONLY had "glove compartment" on the dash alone and the owner's manual that was standard from the manufacturer stated it as such, THEN this might be lawfully possible but before attempting it, I'd stop by a KSP post and inquire or better yet, contact the Ky. AG's office about this. I had recently heard that they might be looking into legalizing the center console or dash glove compartment, but this is heresay at this point.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE