• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Glove Compartment OC?

Southpawtact

From what I've read in the past, I'm pretty sure one can store a loaded gun in one's glove box in the state of KY and it's counted as Open Carry.

Can someone give me a definite yes or no answer? Thank you

aegri_mentis

From what I've read in the past, I'm pretty sure one can store a loaded gun in one's glove box in the state of KY and it's counted as Open Carry.

Can someone give me a definite yes or no answer? Thank you

It is not "OC", but it is not concealed, either. It is specifically mentioned in the KRS as being an acceptable place to carry, and not be considered concealed.
I am an LEO.
EDIT: It must be the dashboard box, and not the center console box.

Last edited:

flb_78

Also, the glove compartment is considered to be in the dash on the passenger side, not the center console even if your vehicle only has a center console.

hotrod

Also, the glove compartment is considered to be in the dash on the passenger side, not the center console even if your vehicle only has a center console.

I disagree with your interpretation. According to KRS 527.020 the manufacturer determines what a glove compartment is. " ...regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer,...". So, if Buick decides to put a glove box on the dash in the middle and so calls it a glove box in their owners manual, then its a glove box and you can put your weapon there legally. Anybody else think this way?

aegri_mentis

I disagree with your interpretation. According to KRS 527.020 the manufacturer determines what a glove compartment is. " ...regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer,...". So, if Buick decides to put a glove box on the dash in the middle and so calls it a glove box in their owners manual, then its a glove box and you can put your weapon there legally. Anybody else think this way?

That would be tricky, but the courts, at least up until now, have always ruled any compartment between the front seats to be a "center console", and not a glove box.

flb_78

Not my interpretation, it's the court's.

http://162.114.92.72/COA/2003-CA-000034.pdf

The everyday meaning of “glove compartment” is the
factory-installed compartment in the dash on the passenger’s
side of the vehicle.

hotrod

Plain, common or everyday meaning

Plain, common or everyday meaning changes from term to term in the Appellate as well as the Supreme Court. I believe the fight is that the common everyday meaning of glove compartment has changed since 2003. Glove compartments are listed in several locations in different vehicles and I believe with the right case and right attorney that this would be ruled differently or sent on to the Supreme Court where a more satisfied ruling would be afforded. "All words and phrases shall be construed according to the COMMON and APPROVED usage of the language,...". This is where I believe this will turn. Just my thoughts

neuroblades

While I see your point, I've never yet seen any vehicle that even if equipped with a "box on the dash" that didn't also have a standard glove box as well. In this case the box in front of the passenger seat is where it has to be. IF a vehicle ONLY had "glove compartment" on the dash alone and the owner's manual that was standard from the manufacturer stated it as such, THEN this might be lawfully possible but before attempting it, I'd stop by a KSP post and inquire or better yet, contact the Ky. AG's office about this. I had recently heard that they might be looking into legalizing the center console or dash glove compartment, but this is heresay at this point.