Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Wisconsin Citizens have non-resident Concealed Firearms Permits?

Question How Many Wisconsin Citizens have non-resident Concealed Firearms Permits?

I have recently moved from rural Walworth County to Utah, but I had a non-resident Utah permit when I lived in Wisconsin. I am curious to know how many Wisconsin Citizens (or former Wisconsin Citizens) have obtained a non-resident CFP from another State and what State(s) you got it from.

The reason I am asking is that while I still lived in LaGrange Township (10 miles SE of Whitewater), I had occasion to speak with my Wisconsin State Senator, Neil Kedzie. Neil is pro-2A, but I asked him a question that left him visibly shaken. I presented my non-resident Utah permit and asked him why I was denied a Civil Right here in Wisconsin that was respected in nearly three fifths of the United States? (Utah permits are recognized by 33 States, but Colorado, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Florida only recognize a Utah permit if the permit holder is also a resident of Utah.)

My belief is that open carry will gain even more traction, and Wisconsin Citizens will have a better chance of defeating "feel good" foolish laws like the 1000 foot Gun Free Zone if they have non-resident CFP permits and ask their legislators why they are denied a Right in Wisconsin that they are free to exercise in so many other States. The key to better acceptance of open carry is to get concealed carry enacted. Sure, I know it is our Civil Right to openly carry a firearm, but the sheeple need to be introduced to this reality slowly and like real sheep, change must be made slowly so as not to spook them. They must come to intuitively embrace the phrases we so commonly repeat to each other, such as, "When seconds count, the Police are minutes away." Otherwise they get frightened and rally behind the anti-gun liberal pukes. The sheeple are not frightened by what they cannot see.

Like it or not, we have found ourselves in a Public Relations Battle. The enemy is well financed and is telling the sheeple that if guns are banned, they will never have to fear again. They must be told the truth. Columbine happened in a concealed carry State that banned guns from all schools. Virginia Tech happened in a State that allows Concealed Carry, but bans guns in Schools. Utah allows concealed carry by adult teachers in all schools and concealed carry in any school by an adult CCW permit holder. The result was not wholesale carnage, but incidence of misbehavior by gang members in middle and high schools dropped dramatically. Crime on the campuses of the Utah public University schools and technical schools dropped dramatically as well.

So, who has non-resident CFP permits?

I do!

Utah CFP, Pennsylvania CFP, Nevada CFP, Florida CFP.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

I hold Utah, Minnesota permits. It is great when I travel, but crappy when I come back to WI, and feel deprived!

McX
    my oldest son and i hold penn. non-res's.

PA Permits

Dear Fellow Wisconsin Citizens who Hold CCW from other States. Centre County Sheriff, State of Pennsylvania will issue a PA permit for $26 with proof of a permit in another State.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman383 View Post
    I hold Utah, Minnesota permits. It is great when I travel, but crappy when I come back to WI, and feel deprived!
    Then ask your Wisconsin State legislators why Wisconsin denies you a Civil Right afforded to you in so many other States - that you do not even live in.

McX
    actually jpm, no proof of a concealed permit for another state is required for the penn. non-res. it is issued to us in wisconsin by default, as our state offers no cc permit.

Three states. Good for pretty much everywhere I normally go except Iowa, Illinois and New York.

Utah and Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Three states. Good for pretty much everywhere I normally go except Iowa, Illinois and New York.
    On 1-1-2011, you can knock Iowa off that list. On that date Iowa changes into a "shall issue" State that honors all other State's permits; including non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    actually jpm, no proof of a concealed permit for another state is required for the penn. non-res. it is issued to us in wisconsin by default, as our state offers no cc permit.
    Actually McX, I did not get that from visiting the Pennsylvania Centre County Website, but I am glad that you did. Way to go. Although PA is about to change their law, that makes it the easiest State to get a non-resident CCW. Make sure to ask your Wisconsin legislator(s) the question: "Why am I denied a Civil Right in Wisconsin that I am allowed in (insert list of States that honor your permits).

Jim

CFP - Utah, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Florida

Banned
    I have a MN permit for traveling but I don't see what good it would do as leverage when discoursing with legislators. In most cases what one state allows is disallowed in another. Regardless of what I "feel" as an abrogation of my 2A rights, Wisconsin will do as it pleases until SCOTUS rulings like Hamilton and McDonald begin to be felt at the legislative level.

Our next elections should be very telling as to which way the wind is going to blow for our cause.

But thanks for the interest Jim...
    Last edited by Spartacus; 07-26-2010 at 09:34 AM.

+1 for Florida

MN, FL, PA, and NH permits. MN and FL were first, then PA and NH cause they were cheap. I got the NH permit for like $24 before it went up to $100.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

I am working on my FL permit. Just need to find time to go do the blasted fingerprints. Utah permit is next on my list and then I will sit down and figure out what isn't covered by the two.

McX
    concealed carry dot org i think has a nifty trip planner, for gun laws, and links to each state's permit page, plus it shows what states their permit is good in.

concealed carry dot org i think has a nifty trip planner, for gun laws, and links to each state's permit page, plus it shows what states their permit is good in.
    Here's what I use:
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Select the states and the permit that you have, then it shows you where you can carry.

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

McX
    good link, funny how wis and ill are BLACK- no rights.

good link, funny how wis and ill are BLACK- no rights.
    Ya, "Right Denied"

Although I noticed on the page, it says it's a source for open and concealed carry, so they should update that for WI.

Member of:

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I live in Sugar Creek and Kedzie is my Senator as well. He is well aware of what I want. I write him once a month or so to make sure he understands that Constitutional Carry is what I want.

I have considered getting a UT permit, however, I spend 99% of my time in WI so I am waiting until either I need to travel out of state more or November before I make my decision.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ This is the site I have always used.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post

I have considered getting a UT permit, however, I spend 99% of my time in WI so I am waiting until either I need to travel out of state more or November before I make my decision.
    While I spend most of my time in WI as well I never know before hand if I will need to travel in order to work for a contract. So I must make sure I can carry in as many states as possible prior. I was unaware of many of the laws last time I was sent to MN and was very upset when I realized my motel arrangements had me in a fairly bad neighborhood according to the locals. With the processing times that are needed just make sure you have enough time to go through the process.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Watch out for GFSZ when out of state as well

Also keep in mind, as has been posted here at least once before, you MUST have a permit from EVERY state you travel to/through to avoid the GFSZA.

If you are in MN for example, but only have the UT permit, you are NOT, I repeat, NOT permitted to carry in your car or on your person while you go through a GFSZ.

It MUST be unloaded and encased while in the GFSZ unless you have a permit from the state where the GFSZ is.

I am not a lawyer, BUT

I thought the law read licensed by the state, not "resident of," and therefore you would need a MN permit and then you can carry in GFSZ in MN. UT would allow carry in the GFSZ in UT, TN in TN, FL in FL, etc.

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

(B) Subparagraph (A) shall does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtain s such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    I do not see a "resident" requirement.
    Last edited by bnhcomputing; 07-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    You are correct. Sorry. I guess that's what I get for believing what I was told instead of verifying myself.

No apology necessary, that is what the forum is for, to share information and help educate.

Carry On

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast