• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Many Wisconsin Citizens have non-resident Concealed Firearms Permits?

Cobra469

I have considered getting a UT permit, however, I spend 99% of my time in WI so I am waiting until either I need to travel out of state more or November before I make my decision.

While I spend most of my time in WI as well I never know before hand if I will need to travel in order to work for a contract. So I must make sure I can carry in as many states as possible prior. I was unaware of many of the laws last time I was sent to MN and was very upset when I realized my motel arrangements had me in a fairly bad neighborhood according to the locals. With the processing times that are needed just make sure you have enough time to go through the process.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Watch out for GFSZ when out of state as well

Also keep in mind, as has been posted here at least once before, you MUST have a permit from EVERY state you travel to/through to avoid the GFSZA.

If you are in MN for example, but only have the UT permit, you are NOT, I repeat, NOT permitted to carry in your car or on your person while you go through a GFSZ.

It MUST be unloaded and encased while in the GFSZ unless you have a permit from the state where the GFSZ is.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I am not a lawyer, BUT

I thought the law read licensed by the state, not "resident of," and therefore you would need a MN permit and then you can carry in GFSZ in MN. UT would allow carry in the GFSZ in UT, TN in TN, FL in FL, etc.

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

(B) Subparagraph (A) shall does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtain s such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

I do not see a "resident" requirement.

Last edited:
M

McX

God, it's like a monetary plaugue. money going to other states for rights, and wisconsin don't get anything. you'd think they'd pick up on that.

jamesisel

I thought the law read licensed by the state, not "resident of," and therefore you would need a MN permit and then you can carry in GFSZ in MN. UT would allow carry in the GFSZ in UT, TN in TN, FL in FL, etc.

The way I see it, if a state recognizes my out of state permit to carry, that state is giving me license (permission) to carry.

If the wording license is taken to mean the actual piece of plastic or paper that says gun carry license on it, what about "permit" holders?
For example, I am from WI, live in TX, and have a TN permit. My piece of plastic says "Handgun Carry Permit" on it (In TN you need one to carry open or concealed) So does that mean I am NOT licensed by TN??

Now if the law said something like "Issued a licensing document by that state" ..................

The piece of plastic or paper is only proof that I have permission (License) , right?

shennanigans!

jpm84092

Thanks for the link. I read the federal statute carefully and have one comment. I am not a lawyer, but the term Reciprocity means that State A has a written agreement with State B for each State to treat the other State's CCW Permit with the same force and recognition that it does its' own. Recognition on the other hand does not typically involve a written agreement, may be one-sided (State A may recognize the permit of State B, but State B may not recognize the permit of State A), but recognition does involve the concept of State A, which recognizes the permit of State B, treating State B's permit with the same force and recognition that it does its' own.

To me, the lay person, it would appear that an out-of-state permit would meet the requirement of the Federal Statute provided that the permit was recognized. Having said that, the federal statute allows each State to enact its own law regarding schools. Nevada prohibits open or concealed carry on any component of any public school or Institute of Higher learning. Utah allows carry on both. Florida prohibits open and concealed carry in any primary or secondary school, but allows concealed carry of a Non-Lethal weapon (that does not involve a projectile) in an Institute of Higher Learning, except at an athletic event, provided the permit holder is either a registered student or faculty, or non-faculty employee.

Lesson: check the State Law of any State you are intending on carrying concealed into. You may or may not be in violation of both the Federal and State Statutes depending on how the State Statute is written. When in doubt, ask a question to the regulating authority (State Attorney General's Office, etc.). Some websites such as www.handgunlaw.us are helpful, but not always up to date. I would verify with a State Official.

lockman

State Researcher
Gfsz

It would be a great challenge for a GFSZ violation challenge. It is especially post Heller unconstitutional. Secondly, I would like to know how many persecutions (spelled correctly) have been wagered by the feds against persons committing no other offense?

States that have reciprocity must follow the lead of Montana. Montana nullified the federal GFSZ by declaring in statute as follows:

45-8-360. Establishment of individual licensure. In consideration that the right to keep and bear arms is protected and reserved to the people in Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution, a person who has not been convicted of a violent, felony crime and who is lawfully able to own or to possess a firearm under the Montana constitution is considered to be individually licensed and verified by the state of Montana within the meaning of the provisions regarding individual licensure and verification in the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act.

Any non-res permit is a Montana license!

Last edited: