• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Irish Examiner - Ireland consider enacting "make my day law:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/kfcwojgbaucw/rss2/

SNIP

lets public use lethal force on intruders
By Cormac O’Keeffe and Paul O’Brien

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

THE new home defence bill has shifted the balance of rights back to the house owner "where it should always have been", say gardaí.

The Association of Garda Sergeants (AGSI) and Inspectors also said it was ridiculous to suggest the bill provided a "have-a-go charter" to homeowners and said the current situation, which legally demands a house owner retreat from an intruder, was "intolerable".

The association was responding to the Criminal Law (Defence and the Dwelling) Bill 2010, which was published by Justice Minister Dermot Ahern yesterday. Under the bill:

* People will be allowed to use "reasonable" force against intruders to defend themselves, others or their property. This includes lethal force, depending on the circumstances.

* House owners will not be required to retreat from an intruder.

* Intruders injured as a result of reasonable force won’t be able to sue the house owner.
. . .

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Of course, those are Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws.

A real Make My Day law would be a Bill of Attainder against all anti-gunners in UK and Ireland. That would make my day. :D

No corruption of blood, though. Poor kids got enough problems growing up under anti-gunner parents without that, too. :D

Jor Reeser

I would have to agree.

Of course, those are Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws.

A real Make My Day law would be a Bill of Attainder against all anti-gunners in UK and Ireland. That would make my day. :D

No corruption of blood, though. Poor kids got enough problems growing up under anti-gunner parents without that, too. :D

I believe those who do not wish to be armed should pay a tax as they need to remunerate those who would carry arms for them.

linc

Ireland is starting to see the light of day.

Two very good friends (Irish ex-pats in the states for the next year) have taken a liking to going out shooting with my friends and I - their new "American buddies". We've had many philosophical discussions about "the way of life" in the US, specifically around our gun culture and one gent in particular still struggles with the need to have a gun - but likes the sport nonetheless.

I hope this bodes well for them, as the right to defend home and family should be universal.