• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pat Troy's Irish Pub in Alexandria is apparently anti-gun

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
My friend's details of the story:

I was there with my laptop looking for jobs. I ordered potstickers and a cup of coffee. I later ordered a brownie sundae and went outside to smoke a cigarette. I think someone on the patio tattled on me because an employee came out to sm...oke a cigarette right behind me and asked me if I drove there. I said yes. He asked if I could take my firerarm to my car because the owner does not want them inside. I told him that if I went to my car I was not coming back. He said that's fine. So I told him that I just ordered a brownie sundae and I would need him to comp it. He agreed. I asked him if I could go back in long enough to pay my check. He said that was fine. While I was waiting to pay Mr. Troy came up to me and started asking me questions. He asked where I lived and what I did for work. I told him. He asked why I was carrying a gun in his restaurant. I said I was only practicing my rights. He said well it is my right as owner of this restaurant to ask you not to carry a gun in here. I agreed that that was his right. He asked me if I could take it out to my car. I told him that no, it is permanently attached to me. If he doesn't want my gun in his restaurant then he is telling me that he doesn't want me in there. He asked me why I needed a gun in his restaurant. He said that I was a "strapping young lad (in his thick Irish accent)". I told him that it didn't matter how big I was if someone came in with a gun and put it to my head. He said something to the effect of..oh so you want for there to be a wild wild west shootout? I told him no but that I can not stop a bad guy from initiating violence. He said I know that VA just passed this law and there are going to be people who want to test me to see how I react. I just don't want guns in my restaurant. He said that agents come in all the time, they cover their guns up and nobody knows and so the customers don't get scared. Why do you need to wear it openly? He said something in a very snide tone of...'look at me. I'm from VA. I am carrying a gun.' I said to him that I was surprised with how pro military and pro America that he is that he feels this way and ask him if he supports the 2nd Amendment. He said he did. I said it doesn't sound like it. I told him not to worry I won't be coming back and I'll let other gun owners know that he does not wish to have their business either. He then walked away and so did I."

jegoodin

fb

I just sent Pat Troy a message on facebook and posted comments on his page regarding all of the potential business he is losing because of his anti-gun stance.

richarcm

Its amazing to me that, considering his clientele, that he would risk making such a request. I've eaten in there numerous times while open carrying and nobody has ever said anything to me. Of course Mr. Troy was never there when I did so previously. Had I not gone out to smoke they would have never known I was carrying or had any problems. I'm pretty shocked and disappointed. However, perhaps it will be a "teachable moment" for Mr. Troy.

Harper1227

Pat Troy's

Dissappointed. I just started going there and was gonna make it a regular place. I plan on sending a FB note when I get home.

ed

Not sure if PAT TROY is actually the guy on Facebook.. but i know he hosts republican rallies and tea parties.. .. I think he needs some local visitors to talk to him.. some phone calles and some letters or e-mails.. not "just" facbook.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Can't stand the heat, apparently

After leaving several respectful comments on Pat Troy's restaurant facebook page, he (or a member of his staff) has apparently blocked me from leaving any additional comments. His "kitchen" apparently becoming too hot, he has decided to cut off comment.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

ed

I'm not familiar with the place. Has anyone posted it to the friend-or-foe site yet?

Not sure.. Just found out about them being a foe... I go so many places (including Pat Troy's) that I have to go a few times now before I will mark them as friend. Who knows.. maybe after a few phone calls and emails they will be friends again?:confused:

richarcm

Not sure.. Just found out about them being a foe... I go so many places (including Pat Troy's) that I have to go a few times now before I will mark them as friend. Who knows.. maybe after a few phone calls and emails they will be friends again?:confused:

I would be amazed if he changed his mind. He made it pretty clear that he did not like guns and did not want them in his restaurant.

richarcm

Sometimes CASH speaks lounder than words.. If he gets some calls from some of his big republican groups and tea parties that hold theior meetings there... it could have an impact

Yeah and sometimes it speaks louder too.

ed

Pat's is not anti gun.. just anti Open Carry

I received the following message from Pat:
"Due to a miscommunication, here is my stance. We do no allow unconcealed (open carry) firearms at Pat Troy's. Concealed weapons have been here for years and it is not a problem here. We are for the Second Ammendment. Apologies for the confusion."

I called Pat directly to talk to him and spoke to him for 10 minutes on the phone. He says he is a strong supporter of the Second Ammendment but he does not want OpenCarry in his restaurant. It bothers some of his staff and customers so he will allow concealed but not Open Carry.

Maybe not the answer that some/many on the OC message board would like, including me.. but I respect his choice and am glad he did not simply ban carry all together.