• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pat Troy's Irish Pub in Alexandria is apparently anti-gun

richarcm

Just a point of interested, VCDL doesn't consider a place to be anti-gun if they allow some kind of carry (either open or concealed).

That would be accurate except that he has said several times that he does not want guns in his restaurant. He said he "does not like guns and will resist and resent anyone who tries to change his mind". He is the anti-gun type who also "supports the 2nd Amendment".

He's trying to cater to both sides in order to cut his losses when he has also said point blank how he feels about guns and what he wants in his restaurant.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Of course he is!

That would be accurate except that he has said several times that he does not want guns in his restaurant. He said he "does not like guns and will resist and resent anyone who tries to change his mind". He is the anti-gun type who also "supports the 2nd Amendment".

He's trying to cater to both sides in order to cut his losses when he has also said point blank how he feels about guns and what he wants in his restaurant.
He is a business owner. He is supposed to cater to as much clientele as possible.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP He said he "does not like guns and will resist and resent anyone who tries to change his mind". He is the anti-gun type who also "supports the 2nd Amendment".

Remember our last little restaurant/bar anti-gunner?

I got to wondering if there was a correlation between anti-gun attitudes and food safety. At first glance, I would say one has to have a fairly low concern for others to deny them the right to defend themselves. I can see such a low concern translating into poor food safety practices. So, I wondered. Then, purely as an experiment to test my theory, I went and looked.

http://www.healthspace.ca/Clients/VDH/Alexandria/Alexandria_Website.nsf

Just type "Pat Troy" into the search box in the upper left. Interesting reading.

IanB

"Concealed weapons have been here for years"

Interesting... :confused:

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

Perhaps Mr. Troy has knowledge of the whereabouts of one of those concealed weapons.

Last edited:

richarcm

He is a business owner. He is supposed to cater to as much clientele as possible.

As a business owner you aren't SUPPOSED to do anything. He made it very clear to me when I was in the restaurant that he did not want guns in his building. Not openly or concealed. He made it very clear on his Facebook page that he did not want guns in his building. He was not catering to anyone then. He made it very clear that he did NOT like guns, did NOT want them in his building and he was NOT going to change his mind. Only now that he realized that I was more than one person that he was asking to leave. Now all of a sudden it was a misunderstanding and he's okay with people concealing. But when he was talking to me at the restaurant he was going off about how the new law didn't make any sense because he didn't see any reason to be bringing a gun into an area where people are drinking. This is called BACKPEDALING.

Needless to say I still don't think I'll be eating there again. The entire skit he did for me about the wild wild west and 'I'm from VA, look at me, I'm wearing a gun on my hips'......I'll go somewhere else next time.

Last edited:

wylde007

Just a point of interest, VCDL doesn't consider a place to be anti-gun if they allow some kind of carry (either open or concealed).
As much as I respect your decision to do as you will with your organization... one, I might add, that I support annually... I cannot agree with this stance.

P4P is not support of lawful carry. It is support of legislated carry... which is immoral and unconstitutional.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
maybe a few call-ins to his radio show so we can add to the fun! I am around Sunday.. I just don't know if I have any electronics old enough to listen to AM so I will have to listen online..
- - - -
Pat Troy and his daughter Kathleen Molloy bring you the best in Irish Music, and news about what's happening in our Irish community. A live news and sports broadcast direct from Ireland, and call-ins from listeners add to the fun.
So start your day off right and tune in every Sunday morning from 10:30 to 11:30, eastern standard time, to NEW WORLD RADIO, WUST - 1120 on your AM dial, 20,000 watts, covering D.C., Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania. You may listen to The Irish Radio Show live on-line at www.wust1120.com at 10:30 am, eastern standard time. Call-in line is (703) 534-9878.
If you would like to advertise on the radio show or join the Booster Club,
click here to download the Ad Kit or
call Pat Troy or Kathleen Molloy at (703) 549-4535​

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Lets see how many comments I get. I'll at least be able to get them to him.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1714225225#!/profile.php?id=1714225225&v=wall&ref=profile

Is Pat Troy's Irish Pub in Alexandria anti-gun
Internet Gunboards are showing that the Pub is telling customers to leave it in the car.
Troys own Facebook page is blocking comments.
Old Virginia News wants to know how you feel.

Here is a Facebook message I received from Pat Troy's last night:

"Due to a miscommunication, here is my stance. We do not allow unconcealed (open carry) firearms at Pat Troy's. Concealed weapons have been here for years and it is not a problem here. We are for the First Amendment. Apologies for the confusion.​

So I guess their official policy is that guns are ok so long as no one can see them... It seems to be a matter of style over substance, and his clarification does not change my mind about not patronizing his restaurant.

Riana

He said he "does not like guns and will resist and resent anyone who tries to change his mind".
Happily, I DON'T resent him choosing to bar me from his establishment just because of what I'm wearing. There are plenty of restaurants out there, after all.

And if concealed carry has been there for years without a problem, either a) he's approved of it in the past, or b) the majority of people carrying there were criminals (yes, I know LEO could have). All the more reason to choose another establishment.

Last edited:

Riana

maybe a few call-ins to his radio show so we can add to the fun! I am around Sunday.. I just don't know if I have any electronics old enough to listen to AM so I will have to listen online..
- - - -
Pat Troy and his daughter Kathleen Molloy bring you the best in Irish Music, and news about what's happening in our Irish community. A live news and sports broadcast direct from Ireland, and call-ins from listeners add to the fun.
So start your day off right and tune in every Sunday morning from 10:30 to 11:30, eastern standard time, to NEW WORLD RADIO, WUST - 1120 on your AM dial, 20,000 watts, covering D.C., Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania. You may listen to The Irish Radio Show live on-line at www.wust1120.com at 10:30 am, eastern standard time. Call-in line is (703) 534-9878.
If you would like to advertise on the radio show or join the Booster Club,
click here to download the Ad Kit or
call Pat Troy or Kathleen Molloy at (703) 549-4535​

LOL... I just came up with an outstanding idea...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As much as I respect your decision to do as you will with your organization... one, I might add, that I support annually... I cannot agree with this stance.

P4P is not support of lawful carry. It is support of legislated carry... which is immoral and unconstitutional.

I don't really agree with that Wylde.
P4P has a lot of aspects. I vehemently disagree with VCDL's support of P4P bills in the GA and in fact, in years gone by they have refused to support bills that singled out CHP holders only.

On the other hand, I strongly support private property rights even if they are contrary to my beliefs. In other words, if a private property owner wants to be a low down son of a bitch and ban guns, it's his business. I'll go out of my way to cost him money and business and in general, make life miserable....but I'll still support his right to take that stance.

From VCDL's standpoint, they (or hopefully they do) represent ALL gunowners.
It would be unfair to say that they are anti gun, if they do allow some private citizens in with guns. They aren't anti gun, they're gun bigots.

It's easy for me to have a Zero tolerance policy but VCDL has to be a tad more flexible.

Now the bottom line in this is that the owner is flat out lying. He supposedly has allowed patrons with CHP's to conceal for years while it hasn't been legal for a full month yet. If he's saying he allows only LEO's and CA's to conceal...Yeah, I'd say he's anti gun.

He's not saying that now so since he's allowing private citizens with CHP's to carry concealed....he's not anti gun, just anti American, anti Virginia and he should haul his butt right back to Ireland. Hopefully, he'll lose enough business to go broke.

BUT...that shouldn't be VCDL's call.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One can come up with an idea.. but it takes OTHERS do determine if it is good or even outstanding!:p

It does sound like a good idea Ed but what it takes is volume. If one person or even ten say "I won't ome there anymore", he just says 'so what'!

If a hundred people say it he will panic.

He started censoring his Facebook comments. I asked for comments on Facebook and here and will make sure he sees them. I've gotten two.

There are a lot of things I dislike about AR15.com. Dislike to the point I don't go there anymore.
The one good thing about it is if you go to the General Forum and call for an attack, emails will go out then and there in unbelievable volume.

With the membership we have here, there really isn't any excuse for a small response.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here is a Facebook message I received from Pat Troy's last night:
"Due to a miscommunication, here is my stance. We do not allow unconcealed (open carry) firearms at Pat Troy's. Concealed weapons have been here for years and it is not a problem here. We are for the First Amendment. Apologies for the confusion.​
So I guess their official policy is that guns are ok so long as no one can see them... It seems to be a matter of style over substance, and his clarification does not change my mind about not patronizing his restaurant.

How about that Second one Pat?

wylde007

On the other hand, I strongly support private property rights even if they are contrary to my beliefs. In other words, if a private property owner wants to be a low down son of a bitch and ban guns, it's his business. I'll go out of my way to cost him money and business and in general, make life miserable... but I'll still support his right to take that stance.
Perhaps some clarification.

I support a private property owner's decision to prefer one mode of carry over another, but to attempt to declare that as "supporting" the 2nd Amendment is disingenuous, at best.

I was disagreeing with VCDL not counting Pat Troy's as "anti" because if they don't want to honour the laws of the Commonwealth and accede to the decisions that have been set forth - all of them - then they are not my friend and they are not "supporters" of anything but an agenda of compromise.

I know Philip has a lot of different facets and perspectives to consider when deciding what legislation VCDL will or will not support, but this Pat Troy's has decided to acknowledge concealed (permit) carry as the only acceptable form in his restaurant, despite information we have indicating he really doesn't want any guns in his establishment. Philip states that means they aren't anti.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In my opinion, support of only a conceal-carry agenda is the same as support of any restriction, public or private. I respect private property rights as much as the next person and if I am asked to leave or not to enter a premises based on my carrying a firearm, I will honour that request.

Heck, it keeps me from having to visit the in-laws quite as much! :p

I don't know if that helped at all, but there it is.