• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You are invited to a Picnic on SEP 25th, 1010!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
[align=center]You are invited to:
[/align]

[align=center]A[/align]

[align=center]OPEN CARRY PICNIC

IN

[/align]

[align=center]BARABOO[/align]

[align=center]Location: Haskins Park[/align]

[align=center]I reserved the Picnic Area for:

Saturday September 25th 2010
[/align]

[align=center]The fun start’s @ 12:00 noon -> until ???

Burgers, Buns, Condiments & Soda will be supplied
Please bring a Dish to pass if you feel like it
or drop a few $ bucks $ in the food donation jar, if you like.

I only have a few chairs so, Bring your own lawn chairs
Open Carry is legal at Haskins Park.

NO Alcohol like normal at OC fest
[/align]

[align=center]IF IT RAIN’S, WE STILL CARRY, NO CANCELING[/align]

[align=center] [/align]

minuteman

Yeah Haskins park is in West Baraboo so it is in the jurisdiction of the Sheriffs Dept. Why are people so concerned if law enforcement attend? I think they would be open carrying too.

They are not the enemy of open carriers, they are mostly our allies believe it or not. People see someone open carrying and think sure it might be legal, but its asking for problems with police. If they see police and open carriers together it really makes people understand that there is not a problem and that there is no difference.

It might be a different story with the police in other areas, and yes the Baraboo Police are much different and have even operated outside of the law in the past. But the Sauk County Sheriffs Department is very supportive of our right to keep AND bear arms. I know this first hand from carrying here, and long before the AG put out memos to stop harassing people.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Sauk County Sheriffs Department is very supportive of our right to keep AND bear arms. I know this first hand from carrying here, and long before the AG put out memos to stop harassing people.

+1000

LEO is always welcome at these picnics. I'll be there, and I carry just like always.

Carry On!

Spartacus

Banned
They are not the enemy of open carriers, they are mostly our allies believe it or not.

It depends on the jurisdiction and even down to the individual officer. Some cops I talk to are OK with it and some are scared sh!tless when thinking about an armed society.

I hear guys all the time saying how they would welcome the opportunity to help out a cop shoot it out with a bad guy. The last thing most officers want is an untrained civilian running around shooting up the place. If you fantasize about helping out a cop at least get some training and do some competitive shooting for christsake. Most altercations are over in less than 20 seconds so you really won't have time to react if you are a paper target shooter. I've seen those guys take 20 seconds just to line up on a seven yard target.

oliverclotheshoff

Hi Im new here but have the same goals as the rest of everyone here. First off Im glad there is an event near my area I wish there were more in this area. I will be attending without a doubt and i will also be posting a flyer for the event in the lunch room of where I work. myself and a few other guys at work are so excited about the event to help inform people about the open carry. We are also interested in the conceal carry bill passing next time it hits the gov's desk.

LOERetired

Rain or shine we will carry

This is still a go rain or shine, I'll be there early setting up, so if anyone has any questions you can call me at 608-698-2023.

Don

Last edited:

LOERetired

Update: Can't use the restrooms at Hastings Park unless you are unarmed

Hay all

After contacting the Sauk county sheriff and the Baraboo city sheriff both of which stated that Haskins park is not within their enforcement jurisdiction and both denying to grant our request to use the restrooms while OCing, I ended up contacting the county park who referred my email to the Village Attorney for West Baraboo, who also denied our request to use the facilities while OCing, as the email below states, so, it looks like in order to use the restrooms we will have to take our firearm to the car unload it and encase it, then when your finished go back to your car and do the reverse.

I did get permission to use the pavilion though. but, as you will read below he is not issuing a formal opinion, his impression is that the pavilion is not classified as a public building since it is not enclosed, and further states that his impression is limited to this specific circumstance and does not imply that open carry would be allowed on other public property, for example, school grounds, even outside the walls of a school building.
I've included the emails from the Attorney below. Even with the requirement of having to take our firearms to our vehicles, we will still carry on, with only a few minor adjustments. Sorry all, I tried; they just wouldn't allow us to circumvent the law on this one.

Dear Mr. Marso,

I am one of the attorneys for the Village of West Baraboo. Mary Klingenmeyer forwarded your request for permission for attendees at the “Open Carry” day at Haskins Park to enter the park restrooms with their firearms. I have reviewed the Village ordinances and state statutes on this issue.

State law and the village code or ordinances prohibit the possession of firearms in “public buildings.” It appears that you recognize that the term public building includes the public restrooms at the park. I have confirmed that the state statutes and village ordinances define public buildings to include every building owned by the village, the county, the school district, and the state itself.

You have requested that the village waive this prohibition or grant your group permission to do what is prohibited by state and village law. You refer to permission granted by other municipalities. I am not familiar with those decisions, their ordinances, or the reasons for their decisions. However, I can speak to the state and West Baraboo laws. Neither, the village board, the village clerk nor other village officials have the right to grant permission to act contrary to the law. Therefore, the village is unable to grant your request even if it were inclined to do so. In order to do so, the village would have to amend its ordinances to either remove the restriction entirely or allow for some discretion to waive the requirement. Even if the village amended its ordinance, it could not waive the restrictions under state law.

I hope this answers your request. If you have questions, please call or email me.

Sincerely,

Mark J. Steichen
Boardman, Suhr, Curry & Field, LLP
1 S. Pinckney Street
P.O. Box 927
Madison, Wisconsin 53701-0927
(608) 283-1767
(608) 327-1467 (direct fax)
msteichen@boardmanlawfirm.com

Follow up email to Attorney Steichen

Attorney Steichen

Mary stated that since the pavilion is not enclosed that we should be able to use it. What is your position on using the pavilion?

Don Marso

His reply

Mr. Marso,

I agree with Mary. While I have not looked closed at this issue and am not issuing a formal opinion, my impression is that the pavilion is not classified as a public building since it is not enclosed. However, my impression is limited to this specific circumstance and does not imply that open carry would be allowed on other public property, for example, school grounds, even outside the walls of a school building.

Mark J. Steichen

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
[QUOTE=paul@paul-fisher.com;1350053]Unfortunately he is right. The law doesn't give exceptions and doesn't allow for issuance of a permit.[/QUOTE]
I believe this IS within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff and that he CAN grant such permission.

941.235(1)
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

941.235(2)
(2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1). Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this subsection, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.
The Village of West Baraboo does NOT HAVE a police force, so law enforcement is the responsibility of the Sauk County Sheriff (Says so right on the West Baraboo web site). The Sheriff CAN grant such permission, both the St. Croix and Eau Claire County Sheriffs have given such permission within the last year.

If this Sheriff doesn't think he can give permission, then he DOESN'T know the law.