• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive LEO Experience

Two Hands

My car broke down on I-66 west bound @ marker 34.8 today. This is one area on 66 with absolutely no cell service. Took about an hour but a state trooper finally rolled up. After explaining that there was no cell service, he checked his and sure enough..... He exited the cruiser to come around and clear out the passenger seat for me at which point I volunteered that I was carrying. He just shrugged and said, “No problem. I don't have to worry about the ones who declare". He drove me to The Plains where I was able to arrange retrieval with my fleet service then took me back to my vehicle. The wait for the fleet service was going to be a long one (over an hour). On the way back to my car, we passed the usual speed trap at marker 37 and he informed the trooper working there of what was going on.

This wasn't the normal patrol route of the trooper who picked me up (he lived close by and was just coming on duty when the call came in) but he promised to check back in an hour to make sure I was O.K. Sure enough, he rolled up a minute or two after the tow truck and after making sure I was good to go, acknowledged my gratitude and drove off into the sunset (literally).

I spent about 30 minutes total with the trooper and his courtesy and professionalism while carrying out what must be a routine and boring duty was very impressive (I'm a very demanding operations manager and am not easily impressed by people doing what they are supposed to do). It took a while, but I was able to Google the email address of his division commander and passed on my compliments. A good experience to end a less then stellar day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That is actually the norm, especially with VSP. I am having some problems with Administration over the accuracy and content of FOIA's but that's not the Troopers.

You do run across the occasional ass, but it's not often.
That;s why I disagree with the don't tell rule. It's a judgment call that has to be made each time.

In your situation, he was under no obligation to give you a ride. It's frowned on by the Higher ups. I think you did fine and it paid off.

All American Nightmare

That is actually the norm, especially with VSP. I am having some problems with Administration over the accuracy and content of FOIA's but that's not the Troopers.

You do run across the occasional ass, but it's not often.
That;s why I disagree with the don't tell rule. It's a judgment call that has to be made each time.

In your situation, he was under no obligation to give you a ride. It's frowned on by the Higher ups. I think you did fine and it paid off.

Why cant I ever run across those LEOS ?

Last edited:

IanB

It is *because* of the professionalism of the VSP Troopers that I elect to inform them that I'm carrying (if I get pulled over). I rarely hear of them mistreating a gun owner. Now the localities...

paramedic70002

I had an opportunity to comment positively on a Trooper last year when my wife's car broke down, leaving us all stranded on a dark road. I was CCing but through a conversation with my friend who came to help me, it was plainly obvious I was CCing. Never batted an eye, even partook in the conversation AND got some tools out of his car and helped with the repair work! It took a couple weeks but I got confirmation of the email and later the Trooper thanked me for my email. They get plenty of complaints and sure do appreciate the compliments.

wylde007

I believe it is as necessary to commend the good as it is to condemn the bad.

When I have had the opportunity, I have expressed both my gratitude and displeasure (respectively) regarding my personal experiences with law enforcement.

nova

I agree. Though I've never had the need to make a complaint, I have however sent in a written compliment for an experience with FCPD. Never got anything back so I figure it probably just got thrown in a file somewhere. Hopefully it wasn't of the circular type.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You want me to cite the written letters I sent to the City of Virginia Beach Public Safety Office?

Also, I didn't say it was a regular occurrence. I just said that good should be recognized the same as evil. ;)

chain.gif