• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Data from a open-records request of MPD May 1 2009 to June 1 2010

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
View attachment 3403View attachment 3404Quite a bit of data to wade through. I got a CD with a 1/2 gig of data which is all emails from within MPD regarding open-carry gun free school zones, etc from May of 2009 through June 1 2010.

First thing I noted was there is a very interesting set of emails that went around between Edith Hudson, Gregory Thompson, Gregory Habeck, Anne Schwartz and James Harpole on July 19th and 20th 2009.

The subject of those emails are: "D.C w/armed-Open Carry test case"

But the body of the emails is blank. I checked the data folder for the emails from each of those persons and found the emails with identical subject but all the body of the emails are blank. I'll be following up with MPD open records today to find out why those are blank.

There is a ton of data in here. I will post it bit by bit as I have a time to review.

The data is all .pst files.

According to the instructions on the CD I got form MPD Open Records you have to copy the whole file to your desktop and open with Microsoft Outlook.

I only have outlook express, so I downloaded a freeware ".pst viewer" but anyone with outlook could probably open this right up.

There is so much data that if someone else wants a copy of the CD to browse through and post interesting sections/emails in this thread, send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the CD, though I won't be able to get it in the mail for a few days.

Here is one thing of note I found looking through one of the first documents:

A letter dated March 13th 2009 (pre AG memo) from the Milwaukee City Attorney to Ronald D. Leonhardt, City Clerk discussing which Milwaukee CITY ordinances were pre-empted by state law. Here is a screen capture to a interesting section:

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Nik For Posting This! OpenOffice May Work For These Files.

I believe Open Office will work fine with .PST files and it is 100% free. www.openoffice.org and download it. I have been using it for about 7 years for all my Microsoft files.

Looking forward to seeing the "missing" body information from those emails. Wonder what happened to them?

Thanks again Nik!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Looking forward to seeing the "missing" body information from those emails. Wonder what happened to them?

Yeah, I wonder.....:uhoh:
They're only open records when they want you to see them.... Probably one of those cases in which you'd have to go to court to force them to reveal the contents of those emails. They'll probably use some excuse like: "It's an ongoing investigation" or something.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It's interesting to note that in the sample letter they seem to be concluding that the park firearm ban is preempted!

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I realized I have Microsoft Outlook on my office computer and tried to open the file today using that. Ironically, Outlook blocks any files with .pst extentions because they could contain viruses and I can't access the files using microsoft outlook as the CD and instructions from MPD indicate.

I placed a call to them today. The officer who handled my request is on vacation til monday.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use the .pst viewer I downloaded to read and post what I can.

gdyslin

Opening .pst

you cannot directly open a pst file, it is a directory which stores email. In outlook go to tools, options, data files and click add and point it to location of the pst and then these emails will be visable in outlook for ya.

paul@paul-fisher.com

you cannot directly open a pst file, it is a directory which stores email. In outlook go to tools, options, data files and click add and point it to location of the pst and then these emails will be visable in outlook for ya.

It all depends on the version of outlook. For example, in Outlook 2003 you can go File>Open>Outlook Data file and it will open a .pst file.

J.Gleason

Banned
View attachment 3403View attachment 3404Quite a bit of data to wade through. I got a CD with a 1/2 gig of data which is all emails from within MPD regarding open-carry gun free school zones, etc from May of 2009 through June 1 2010.

First thing I noted was there is a very interesting set of emails that went around between Edith Hudson, Gregory Thompson, Gregory Habeck, Anne Schwartz and James Harpole on July 19th and 20th 2009.

The subject of those emails are: "D.C w/armed-Open Carry test case"

But the body of the emails is blank. I checked the data folder for the emails from each of those persons and found the emails with identical subject but all the body of the emails are blank. I'll be following up with MPD open records today to find out why those are blank.

There is a ton of data in here. I will post it bit by bit as I have a time to review.

The data is all .pst files.

According to the instructions on the CD I got form MPD Open Records you have to copy the whole file to your desktop and open with Microsoft Outlook.

I only have outlook express, so I downloaded a freeware ".pst viewer" but anyone with outlook could probably open this right up.

There is so much data that if someone else wants a copy of the CD to browse through and post interesting sections/emails in this thread, send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the CD, though I won't be able to get it in the mail for a few days.

Here is one thing of note I found looking through one of the first documents:

A letter dated March 13th 2009 (pre AG memo) from the Milwaukee City Attorney to Ronald D. Leonhardt, City Clerk discussing which Milwaukee CITY ordinances were pre-empted by state law. Here is a screen capture to a interesting section:

Seems as some of those pages are missing as well, The second page here is marked page 4 instead of page 2. Where are the other two pages?

AdamXD

How long did it take for them to "find" all this data? If it took more than a few days I bet someone went through it and deleted a bunch of stuff that they didn't want seen.

*addition*

Or was all this physical data and not digital data? If they had to scan all the paper documents, then yes, I can see why would would take a considerable amount of time. But if it is all digital, I stand by my first statement.

Last edited:
M

McX

i was going to post here, but deleted it for reasons of national security.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
James. I took screen shots of that document as there was no way to attach the whole thing. (its 2 megs) I read the whole thing and the rest of it was (in my opinion) not very applicable to our interests but I can email it to anyone who is interested.

Awesome!!! This worked. The data is there. My ".pst viewer" wasn't rendering it.

I'm now able to view all of the information in these files. All I can say is WOW... DOUBLE WOW. Its going to take some time to review and post all this stuff. Here goes:

Here is an email thread that originated From Assistant Chief James Harpole. Right after they AG memo they immediately are curious as to a rise in violent crime that they could associated with the AG memo on open carry. (my perspective on the emails, read for yourself) (note, the first section of text is Chief Ed Flynn's response to the original email below that from James Harpole, assistant chief)

Chief Ed Flynn:

Good work.

The analysis piece will be critical. What percentage of our "argument" shootings involve people already known to us. This divides into two critical areas: gangs, obviously, but also those "nuisance" houses where ongoing feuds and bad behavior dominate the street life on a block. Certainly the 12yoa girl shooting appears to fit that profile, as does the homicide last Sunday that was precipitated by a "triangle" but was the usual suspects for that block. We'll need some district inventories of them.

We also, as we analyze (we cops always jump from problem identification to response mode...the "what's happening here" is critical to the "messaging" as it is to the tactics) we need to identify throughout the PD our available field resources. Are we properly staffed in the districts and the NTF? Are everybody's hours fitting the activity? Do we have CIB personnel that can be used pro-actively in the field? Finally, what % of our shootings involve the type of criminal networks (drugs) amenable to one of our numerous federal/local task forces? Do we need to consider supplementing NTF with officers from the districts? How much pressure and how many people do we need on those most violent neighborhoods? It will be very important to identify our community partners, as yesterday we had the pastor in D3 with the commander on the street.

What we need to avoid it precipitous lurching from strategy to strategy. We have the template. We need to be flexible and adaptable but steady. I'm getting suggestions from local officials for "cop houses" and for dramatic gestures. Public events have their place from time to time but they should compliment strategy not substitute for it.

Very interesting thought about the AG's message. We might want to track our shootings before and after the publicity. Again, the public sense is still positive about our efforts. Our first responsiblitity is to demonstrate that we understand what is happening. That could be the subject of a very useful press conference or availablity next week. I'm testifying in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday about federal funding for local law enforcement. Annie: we should figure out how to link that event to a local event where we present our analysis about our recent shooting spike. Knowing what's going on will buy us time and goodwill to respond to it. This will also have ramifications in our ongoing resource conflict with the county.

We all have homework to do. Greg: lousy night tonight, but it was last night, too. Do a quick inventory of the districts and decide who could use some "beefing up" tonight in terms of minimal staffing.

Thanks all. Now I get to go to a community meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sat 5/9/2009 7:37 AM
To: Flynn, Edward; Schwartz, Anne
Cc: Hagen, John M (POLICE); Mcauliff, Emelia; Leibold, Kurt; Smith, Anthony; Smith, Jason; Felician, Paul; Habeck, Gregory; O'Brien, Mallory; Torres, Misty; Heier, Timothy; Winston, Darryl; Dubis, Michael
Subject: Shootings

We have experienced seven shootings in less than 24 hours, one a homicide in District 6. If we include the shooting of the 12-year-old girl at 39th and Galena and the double shooting at 19th and Galena from May 7th, that puts us up to nine in just over 24-hours. Additionally we have had 5 homicides since April 27th, all gun related. The shootings, although mainly in districts 2, 3, and 7 (with the exception of the D6 homicide last night), have been fairly widespread. We have a lot of work to do here. First, I am sure the media will be all over this. We need to be prepared to craft the right message, Anne's area of expertise. Secondly, the CIB needs to drill down into these incidents to determine what common denominators exist so that we can develop the right strategic response and implement proactive and preventive measures.

A question that comes to my mind is what impact has the Attorney General's open carry statement had on our recent gun violence, if any? I am wondering if a certain segment of our community, the criminal segment, heard the message wrong and believe they can carry guns as they please. What I find interesting in some of the recent shootings is that when the first guy decides to pop off rounds a number of other people seem to be armed and also pull out guns and start shooting.

This current violent crime trend will become the highest priority for the CIB. I will have my staff urgently analyze all shootings since the open carry statement was made by the AG. We will find out everything we can about our suspects, victims, witnesses, locations, etc. We will make sure our detectives are asking the right questions when questioning subjects for gun offenses to help us better understand the dynamic of what is happening here. We will dedicate whatever CIB resources are needed to address upward trend, including resources from the Organized Crimes Division.

SHOOTINGS SINCE MAY 7th
D3: 39th and Galena (12-year-old girl)
D3: 19th and Galena (double shooting) arrest made and gun recovered
shootings since yesterday afternoon
D3: 2500 N. 19th St.
D2: 500 W. Arthur Av.
D7: 2817 N. 16th St.
D3: 2900 W. Highland Av.
D2: 13th & Lincoln
D7: 3100 N. Sherman Blvd.
D6: 2040 W. Becher (homicide with 2nd NF victim)

HOMICIDES SINCE APRIL 27th
D2: 2147 S. 15th Pl. (arrest warrant issued) occ: 4-27-09
D7: 2822 N. 28th St. (temp. felony warrant) occ: 5-03-09
D2: 644 S. 9th St. (arrest made) occ: 5-03-09
D3: 35th and Wright (arrest made seeking another) occ: 5-05-09
D6: 2040 W. Becher (investigating) occ: 5-09-09

I will hold a special CIB briefing on Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. to review this current violent crime trend. Captain's Leibold and Smith please ensure that over the weekend your respective divisions properly prepare for the Monday briefing. I would like a matrix of all shootings and homicides prepared as well. The Intelligence Fusion Center will begin the work of analyzing the shootings and homicides. We should reach out to the HIDTA and the Homicide Review Commission if we need analytical or research support. Captains who cannot attend the briefing on Monday are to send a representative, as always lieutenants are welcome to attend. Please feel free to bring your detectives as well. The briefing will take place in the Organized Crimes Division assembly so we can use the Smart Board.

I will be available all day today via my cell phone.

Assistant Chief Harpole

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Another email from MPD open-records request D.C w/armed-Open carry test case:

Another email subject: D.C w/armed-Open carry test case:

The police were unhappy with the Milwaukee DA decision NOT to charge someone with CCW when their shirt "partially" covered their handgun. Interesting read. Appears the Milwaukee DA was using good discretion.

You can read the email for yourself, but Meda-Care ambulance calls in a MWAG. Police respond, put the guy on the ground, arrested for CCW. DA decides not to charge. See below:

To:Habeck, Gregory; Schwartz, Anne; Harpole, James
CC:Hudson, Edith; Thompson, Gregory

Sir and Ma'am-
A follow-up regarding the below case.
I talked to the P.O who handled this case and took it to the DA's office. The case was no processed by ADA Mark Williams.I attached an excerpt from the supp filed by the P.O. below.I find it very disconcerting that the DA in this case would not issue charges for the reasons listed, especially when there has been a spike in violent crime invovling firearms.It is apparent that Mr. PIPKIN is attempting to test the system on the AG's ruling on open carry.
I know that you and A/C Harpole meet with DA Chisholm about cases and issues on a regular basis.In light of the Mayor and Chief's position on this issue, I am hopeful that we can bring this case to a positive resolution.(i.e issuance of the charge)I would hate to think that this mindset and reasoning is prevalent in the DA's office, especially when our officers are in harms way daily and CCW being a catalyst crime to violent offenses.
I am respectfully requesting assistance in this matter.
Lt JMAC
This report is submitted by P.O. Kurt SALTZWADEL, assigned to district five, early shift.

On Sunday, July 19, 2009, at approximately 8:30 am, this case was presented to ADA Mark WILLIAMS of the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office. ADA WILLIAMS reviewed the case and stated he would not charge Mr. PIPKINS. When I asked why he wouldn't charge a person with a concealed and dangerous weapon, specifically a firearm, ADA WILLIAMS gave the following reasons;

1) Mr. PIPKINS had documentation that he owned the firearm.

2) Mr. PIPKINS has no prior criminal history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sun 7/19/2009 8:31 AM
To: Habeck, Gregory; Schwartz, Anne
Cc: Hudson, Edith; Thompson, Gregory
Subject: D.C w/armed-Open carry test case

Sir-
I called D/I Thompson on this, along with Cpt Hudson.This one may make media attention so I'll give you and Anne the heads up.
(Reference incident #091990173)
MEDA Care calls in a guy with a gun at 1816 N 7th St, (later identified as Jermaile A. PIPKINS) MEDACARE sees him at that address while at a med call and call it in. Thye obsere a partially concealed pistol on PIPKINS.
P.O. gets there and orders the guy down at gun point and he is taken into custody. The gun was carried in a holster on PIPKIN's hip, loaded, with an empty chamber. The guy was citing the open carry verbiage during his arrest and was actually carring his purchase paperwork on him at the time of the arrest.
He was charged with CCW, as his shirt was partially concealing it from the officers view.
I can smell a media storm coming on this one and I didn't want tyou to get blind-sided.
Lt JMAC

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
VERY INTERESTING EMAIL. Looks like MPD Anne Schwartz called local media to alert

Based on this email chain, it looks like Anne Schwartz MPD Spokeswoman CALLED local media to pitch the story on the open-carrier on the north side who was robbed at gunpoint.

Looks like Anne must have called Ch. 12 to alert them to the story, (probably because she thinks its casts OC in a bad light) the reporter from 12 responds saying his station "loves the open-carry robbery story what can we do with it"

Must have been a phone call or two in the sequence also, but Anne replies she's in a meeting but will get the reporter the report.

Who needs open-records requests when you've got MPD calling you and feeding you information!

Email between Anne Schwartz and Nick Bohr of Channel 12.

See below:

Muchas gracias

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2010, at 10:43 AM, "Schwartz, Anne" <aschwa@milwaukee.gov> wrote:

In meeting - getting you report
Anne E. Schwartz
Milwaukee Police Department
Office of Media & Communications
414-935-7209
Sent from my BlackBerry

To: Schwartz, Anne
Sent: Wed Jun 09 10:20:28 2010
Subject: Re: Open carry

Sounds good. I eagerly await your information..

Thanks

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2010, at 10:18 AM, "Schwartz, Anne" <aschwa@milwaukee.gov> wrote:

You bet
Anne E. Schwartz
414-935-7209
Sent from my BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wed Jun 09 10:12:46 2010
Subject: Open carry

They love the open carry armed robbery story. What can we do with it?

Nick
Sent from my iPhone

The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to publicrecords. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law,senders and receivers of City email should presume that the email are subject to release upon request, and to state records retentionrequirements. See City of Milwaukee full email disclaimer atwww.milwaukee.gov/email_disclaimer.

Also looks like Anne Schwartz pitched it to ALL the local media:

Here's an interesting comment from Melanie Stout of The Journal Broadcast Group (Channel 4). Interesting to see Melanie Stout's sarcastic reaction. "Second amendment hero's"

To: Anne Schwartz

Love it. Second amendment heros! Guy with gun on waist gets robbed of his gun. I smell Badger!!!!

Just let me know. Now the gun is in the hands of a criminal.

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:53 AM
To: Melanie Stout
Subject: Re: hey swartz

Will do. Nick wants it too.
Anne E. Schwartz
414-935-7209
Sent from my BlackBerry

Sent: Wed Jun 09 10:49:02 2010
Subject: hey swartz

Sorry. Chris does like the open carry story. If you could help me out that would be great thanks much.

Mel

The City of Milwaukee is subject to Wisconsin Statutes related to public
records. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law,
senders and receivers of City email should presume that the email are subject
to release upon request, and to state records retention
requirements. See City of Milwaukee full email disclaimer at
www.milwaukee.gov/email_disclaimer.
The information contained in this communication may be confidential or
legally privileged and is intended only for the recipient named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately advise the
sender and delete the original and any copies from your computer system.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential or
legally privileged and is intended only for the recipient named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately advise the
sender and delete the original and any copies from your computer system.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

If the local law is preempted why isn't the law repealed or taken off the books? Why are they allowed to keep it?

Well..... Good question. As we come across them we work hard with the municipalities to get them 'reviewed' and fixed. If they don't fix them, we assume they are unenforceable and do what state law says. If we get arrested, usually we get the charges dropped. Still rather inconvenient but it's the only way to do it.

If it becomes a pattern or they violate our rights, there are civil actions we can take.

Unfortunately, there is no penalty for the municipality if they violate preemption laws.

That might be something we can work on at the state level.

Kinda like the new 'native american' symbol law. The state passed a law that if a school district has an offensive native american symbol as their mascot, the school district has a period of time to change it, otherwise the school district gets $1000 a day fine.

Imagine Elkhorn or Lake Geneva getting a $1000 a day fine for not fixing their handgun laws. I've been working with Elkhorn for almost a year! $365,000 fine. Only would need one of them to have all municipalities fixing stuff quick!!!

kwikrnu

Banned
Well..... Good question. As we come across them we work hard with the municipalities to get them 'reviewed' and fixed. If they don't fix them, we assume they are unenforceable and do what state law says. If we get arrested, usually we get the charges dropped. Still rather inconvenient but it's the only way to do it.

If it becomes a pattern or they violate our rights, there are civil actions we can take.

Unfortunately, there is no penalty for the municipality if they violate preemption laws.

That might be something we can work on at the state level.

Kinda like the new 'native american' symbol law. The state passed a law that if a school district has an offensive native american symbol as their mascot, the school district has a period of time to change it, otherwise the school district gets $1000 a day fine.

Imagine Elkhorn or Lake Geneva getting a $1000 a day fine for not fixing their handgun laws. I've been working with Elkhorn for almost a year! $365,000 fine. Only would need one of them to have all municipalities fixing stuff quick!!!

Can't you file a lawsuit with standing if you believe or fear you will be arrested if you don't obey the city law?