Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you carrying that firearm?

Why are you carrying that firearm?

I open carry but have yet to be stopped and asked about it. I think it best if one is stopped to keep the chatter to a minimum, but for the record and the voice recorder that will be running, I will respond as follows.

Officer: Why are you carrying that firearm?
    Me: Because there is no individual right to police protection.

Just a thought that you all might wish to incorporate into your philosophy on open carry.

Police Have No Duty To Protect Individuals
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/ka...rotection.html

Banned
    This exact same post was made at ALOC, to which I replied:

I would recommend something that a LEO is less likely to take offense at. Possibly just remind him that it is legal in AL to OC.

In Soviet Russia,
    Gun carries YOU.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

Because it doesn't have wheels and I don't want to drag it.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanForrest View Post
    I open carry but have yet to be stopped and asked about it. I think it best if one is stopped to keep the chatter to a minimum, but for the record and the voice recorder that will be running, I will respond as follows.

Officer: Why are you carrying that firearm?
    Me: Because there is no individual right to police protection.

Just a thought that you all might wish to incorporate into your philosophy on open carry.

Police Have No Duty To Protect Individuals
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/ka...rotection.html
    My response would be "...Oh? This firearm? Well I just love my Berettas. They look great."

Why am I carrying 'this' firearm?

Because my machinegun is in the shop...

As I have no problem with a truthful answer, and if I am in a good mood... "Because crooked cops have guns.".

I spent decades bent over the hood of many a cruiser, face down on the pavement, and smiling down a judge red with rage in court, proving truth is the worst thing you can use when dealing with government agents. The one fact that hasn't changed is I will not be cowed into submission, I speak my mind when I feel like it.

If you don't want an answer you don't like, then you don't ask the question. One advantage to not being loved is I don't worry about stained clothing showing up later.

"I get tired too quick when I have to carry a policeman."

Why am I carrying this firearm? My answers:

To an officer: "Ah but.. the real question is since this is the United States of America where people have rights and this is Michigan where open carry is legal... why isn't every honorable citizen carrying a firearm?"

Police like to be the one asking the questions... puts them in control of, well, the whole encounter. Asking them questions changes the dynamics of the encounter and puts the interviewee on equal footing with the interviewer. Drives 'em nuts. The technique works well with anti gun Leftist weenies too.

To another citizen: "Because you don't have the courage to do it and need someone to hide behind when trouble comes."

Ran into something similar at the car show when a fellow said "You don't need that here... in New Lothrop". in reference to Yooperlady's pink gripped Smith on her hip. I replied with the fact that Michigan's Dept. of Corrections is releasing a whole bunch of criminals due to budget cutbacks... and many Police Depts. are laying off officers at the same time... so what does that tell ya? He had a thoughtful look on his face as we left.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Wink

"because the Founders of this great nation saw fit to the enshrining of the inherent right to self-defense against the tyranny of intrusive government."
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Because I am blessed with a family that loves me, and it is my sworn duty to protect them from harm. I will not allow my children to be anyone's victim. My family trusts me to protect them, I will not betray that trust.

Officer: "Why are you carrying a gun?"

Me: "Why are you?"
    The more we sweat in times of peace, the less we bleed in times of war.

How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."

"Flamethrower is in the shop."

because my other one makes me look fat

I think it is usually better to avoid a sarcastic or contentious response, since that would suggest you want to do some verbal sparring. I don't want any of that, and prefer to give others the impression that I take OC seriously and am not a threat or wise guy.

I've never been asked in more than 4 yrs of OC, but if an LEO asks, I'll just say "for personal protection. I think its the best option for me". The same answer goes to any private citizen if they just seem curious. If the person sounds like an anti-gun, liberal type with the typical angry/sarcastic/supercillious attitude, I would use a very neutral tone of voice and say "For personal protection. I have some very compelling and valid reasons, but they are very personal and I don't get into that with strangers. You have a nice day". End of story; walk away or resume a conversation with friend, or anything else to make it clear that any further unpleasantness would be an intrusion. If the person is not raised well, and still tries to carry on, I'd say "I made it clear I don't want to discuss this. Please stop".
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 08-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I think it is usually better to avoid a sarcastic or contentious response, since that would suggest you want to do some verbal sparring. I don't want any of that, and prefer to give others the impression that I take OC seriously and am not a threat or wise guy.
    All of the "non-sarcastic or contentious" answers so far assume that the officer is being confrontational already.

What if you take the question at face value?

How about these answers:
    Why are you driving that car? Because I like Dodge Trucks better than Ford.
    Why are you flying that plane? Because I couldn't afford a bigger one.
    Why are you carrying that phone? Because I like Blackberry better than iPhone.
    Why are you carrying that firearm? Because I like the XD better than Glock.
    Last edited by StogieC; 08-04-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    I prefer:
    For the same reason I carry a fire-extinguisher in my car, because if I need it I won't have time to go home and get it.

But, from personal experience, when the time comes for witty rejoinders my Adrenalin-pumped, dry-mouthed brain will not be able to come up with one.

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    "Flamethrower is in the shop."

Hilarious!!!

Don't think it will fly over to well though.

Would anyone ask...

"Why are you carrying pepper spray?"

I highly doubt that question is asked much. It is because of the bigotry against firearms. But the response is the same nonetheless.

I carry to protect myself against harm.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    Hilarious!!!

Don't think it will fly over to well though.
    Ironically, Open Carry of a flamethrower would be legal in Florida.

Not only because it is my right to open carry, I also worry about my familys safety from rape, murder, and theft. Seeing that you are not carrying it would be a good guess you don't respect your rights or your family's safety. Have a great day.

Unfortunately, you probably don't have the time to give a long thoughtful answer, so you need short and sweet so you have time to get it all out while you are being thrown to the ground. Once the boot is on your neck it is hard to speak legibly. So a catchy phrase is all you pobably have time for.

Because sometimes a firearm is just a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Because sometimes a firearm is just a firearm.
    Freudy-cat...

;-))

In Maryland, we don't get a chance to answer the topic question.

But, as an academic exercise, this has been an interesting read.

I suppose my answer would be something along the lines of, "Because, if the kaka hits the blower, no one else will protect my family and me. You're welcomed to hide behind me."

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast