Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 365

Thread: Why are you carrying that firearm?

  1. #151
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    Why are you carrying that firearm?

    Answer: zombie apocalypse

    Its only a matter of time before Eric Holder includes on to the already too long of a list, those who speak of zombie apocalypse as suspcious persons and possible terrorist threats.

    Zombie apocalypse must be code for some kind of action or event. Our intelligence is seeing an increase in the references and internet noise associated to this mysterious activity.

  2. #152
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    Its only a matter of time before Eric Holder includes on to the already too long of a list, those who speak of zombie apocalypse as suspcious persons and possible terrorist threats.

    Zombie apocalypse must be code for some kind of action or event. Our intelligence is seeing an increase in the references and internet noise associated to this mysterious activity.
    Well as a gun owner I am already labeled as a terrorist ha ha.

  3. #153
    Regular Member Patriot Prepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wellington, Florida
    Posts
    5

    True Grit

    Quote Originally Posted by SlackwareRobert View Post
    As I have no problem with a truthful answer, and if I am in a good mood... "Because crooked cops have guns.".

    I spent decades bent over the hood of many a cruiser, face down on the pavement, and smiling down a judge red with rage in court, proving truth is the worst thing you can use when dealing with government agents. The one fact that hasn't changed is I will not be cowed into submission, I speak my mind when I feel like it.

    If you don't want an answer you don't like, then you don't ask the question. One advantage to not being loved is I don't worry about stained clothing showing up later.
    This is the type of attitude that won America her freedom. We should be able to stand up and say what we feel without fear of prosecution. We should not be cowed into submission and we should be able to speak our mind. That is why we have a 1st and 2nd Amendment.

    Police are not are wardens and we are not their prisoners. They are supposed to be public servants not our masters. We The People are supposed to be the bosses. The above quote by SlackwareRobert is an example of true grit!

  4. #154
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D, ,
    Posts
    523
    I'm a bit astonished that people here haven't yet pointed out that answering questions from law enforcement without a compelling reason might not be the best idea.

    If asked, maybe the best answer is no answer, maybe a laugh, or the shortest, least informative, least offensive answer ("no reason"), since the question was probably rhetorical at best. Does the police officer really think you're going to offer an answer that provides any useful information? Maybe he/she is in the habit of controlling the conversation by asking questions, in which case, a deferential answer resolves the issue, but the more you say, the more likely you will just dig a hole.
    If he is interested in friendly conversation, the question is more likely, "what is that, a P2000? What caliber?" than "Why are you carrying that?"

    A question like "why are you wearing that?" from an non-LE might indicate curiosity, but from LE, it is probably bait. The strategy is to get someone talking and let him incriminate himself, even if there is nothing to hide. (And I never wear tin foil, it is just common sense that a police officer would not ask that particular question for any good reason.)

    So, my answer to LE is "no reason".
    If they continue, the answer might become "is there some problem, officer?" To which I do not answer the next question, but instead might be evasive with "I've made sure I'm following the law, do you have a particular concern?" and the tried and true "am I free to go?"

    I'll be happy to talk all day in response to a friendly question (make, model, caliber, where do I practice, officer so-and-so has one like that, etc.), much to the dismay of my attorney friends. But an abrasive, open-ended question like "Why?" gets no real response to most LE strangers.

    Non-LE gets a polite answer like, "don't worry, it's legal and I always have it with me."

  5. #155
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger .454 View Post
    How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."
    good answer! I hope I can articulate it that well if I get hassled by a cop someday (which i still don't look forward to).

    It's respectful, but still them's is some forceful words that there!

  6. #156
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern Prince William Co. VA, ,
    Posts
    306

    ...was asked that question the other day.

    A new barber shop opened at a small mall close to where I live. Because Potomac Mills Mall drew off a lot of business, there are not as many shops left and crime at the small mall has increased. The owners of the mall hires off duty Prince William Co Police to patrol the mall and they even opened a Police Sub Station in one of the empty stores.

    The barber asked my why I carried a gun.

    My response: "Because I can."

    We talked about crime in the mall, deterant effect of open carry, use of force, etc.

    He seemed to agree and when I left said: "Don't shoot anyone."

  7. #157
    Regular Member Sc0tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Asheboro, NC
    Posts
    315
    How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."
    +100

    I'm remembering this one!

    The sad part is some LEO's see us carrying as an insult. They see themselves as the protectors and the only ones who should have guns. When we tell them the streets arnt safe they think were telling them they suck at their jobs.
    They just don't think about the fact that their job is just as much to protect our rights as to arrest those who break the law.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

    "A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."


    LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

  8. #158
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    90

    Wink Simple

    For the same reason I keep car insurance, fire insurance, and health insurance.
    Crime Insurance.
    Like a good neighbor, Smith and Wesson is right here.

  9. #159
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    The sad part is some LEO's see us carrying as an insult. They see themselves as the protectors and the only ones who should have guns. When we tell them the streets arnt safe they think were telling them they suck at their jobs.
    They just don't think about the fact that their job is just as much to protect our rights as to arrest those who break the law.
    I hear you, and good points.

    LEO (pick one): (Speaking in an artificially deep voice, all pumped up) "Sir, I must inform you that it's my job to protect you! I'm trained for it, and well, it's your right, but you should really leave these matters up to us..."

    Yes, if you're there. The problem is, when seconds count, you're just minutes away. Don't get me wrong - if it's a heated dispute with a neighbor, you can usually arrive before things get too ugly, but not always. Regardless, I do a pretty good job of working through issues.

    When robbers are in and out of a store in 30 seconds, having killed someone inside, or some lunatic starts shooting into a crowd, all that changes. Its over before you can get there. That's why I carry. It's not because it's not your job to protect me. That is your job, but only to a point, and that's where and how you can.

    Where and how you can't protect me is my job to protect myself, and that's what I'm doing.

    Frankly, I don't want your job. I do want mine.
    Last edited by since9; 01-17-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Our rights are not subject to "interpretation" by well-meaning but Constitutionally illiterate politicians. They are absolute and unwavering, as are We the People. Some rights are specifically mentioned; many are not. ALL are protected by our Constitution, especially the Ninth and Tenth Amendments

    "One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."

  10. #160
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    Zombie apocalypse must be code for some kind of action or event.
    How about the next time I take a dump?
    Our rights are not subject to "interpretation" by well-meaning but Constitutionally illiterate politicians. They are absolute and unwavering, as are We the People. Some rights are specifically mentioned; many are not. ALL are protected by our Constitution, especially the Ninth and Tenth Amendments

    "One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."

  11. #161
    Regular Member frankd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterbone View Post
    For the same reason I keep car insurance, fire insurance, and health insurance.
    Crime Insurance.
    Like a good neighbor, Smith and Wesson is right here.
    I am going to quote you on a regular basis!
    frankd
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

  12. #162
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southeast Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I hear you, and good points.

    LEO (pick one): (Speaking in an artificially deep voice, all pumped up) "Sir, I must inform you that it's my job to protect you! I'm trained for it, and well, it's your right, but you should really leave these matters up to us..."

    Yes, if you're there. The problem is, when seconds count, you're just minutes away. Don't get me wrong - if it's a heated dispute with a neighbor, you can usually arrive before things get too ugly, but not always. Regardless, I do a pretty good job of working through issues.

    When robbers are in and out of a store in 30 seconds, having killed someone inside, or some lunatic starts shooting into a crowd, all that changes. Its over before you can get there. That's why I carry. It's not because it's not your job to protect me. That is your job, but only to a point, and that's where and how you can.

    Where and how you can't protect me is my job to protect myself, and that's what I'm doing.

    Frankly, I don't want your job. I do want mine.
    Why get into all that? City of Castle Rock v Gonzalez is SCOTUS precedent. Police have no duty to protect anyone. They carry guns for THEIR safety, not to protect you. Just because it COULD be used to protect you doesn't mean it's their obilgation or purpose.

    For me, the SCOTUS precendent is enough.

  13. #163
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    "am I being detained officer or am I free to go?"....if not...."I am recording this encounter"....the equivalent of....name, rank and serial number ....back in the day.

    Be nice, really nice....be firm....think of the LEO as your 4 year old kid being a pain in the back-side while you are trying to change the oil in your car, in your driveway.

    Don't get mad....get ahead....later....if you can.
    Unfortunately that does not work in every state, like IL.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  14. #164
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I feel for ya brother....I really do.
    I'm in WI, so I'm good. However, one time I was stopped for speeding and wanted to record everything. Unfortunately, their wiretapping laws are retarded. They are much worse than MD!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  15. #165
    Regular Member frankd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    58
    "Why am I carrying it? Because I can't teach it to walk on its own."
    frankd
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

  16. #166
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    239
    "Officer, I don't talk to the police. Am I free to go or are you detaining me?"

  17. #167
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Deltona Florida
    Posts
    38
    Never been stopped but my rehersed answer is, "as hard as you try sir, you cannot be everywhere and thankfully the State of Florida supports the 2nd ammendment and enables me to defend myself if needed".

  18. #168
    Regular Member Sc0tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Asheboro, NC
    Posts
    315
    Im not carrying it officer, its holstered, Its kinda just along for the ride
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

    "A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."


    LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

  19. #169
    Regular Member DinFreemont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Freemont County, CO
    Posts
    53
    Reply:

    Thankfully open carry is without unconstitutional restriction in this state, I prefer to open carry over uncomfortable concealed carry. As a statement protected under the first I wish to exercise the second.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P.J. O'Rourke

  20. #170
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3

    Well said, we have the right and should exercise it with GUN CONTROL, Take good aim..

    Quote Originally Posted by Thos.Jefferson View Post
    "because the Founders of this great nation saw fit to the enshrining of the inherent right to self-defense against the tyranny of intrusive government."
    My idea of gun control is aiming with intentions to shoot to kill, one shot, one kill.

  21. #171
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3

    Why open carry, because it looks cool to show you are an American!

    Show your freedom by open carry if you can.
    Last edited by Be Prepared; 02-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.

  22. #172
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3

    Why carry,,,duh,,,,,, 911 takes for ever!

    When was the last time you tried to call 911 and got a response as quick as your own protection? With budget cuts all across America, you must protect yourself. In fact, the state should issue every person over 18, perhaps 21, a gun. Why is it a man can only protect his "castle". He should be able to protect his life and family outside his castle with the same lawful and deadly force.
    Last edited by Be Prepared; 02-13-2011 at 01:40 PM.

  23. #173
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Prepared View Post
    When was the last time you tried to call 911 and got a response as quick as your own protection? With budget cuts all across America, you must protect yourself. In fact, the state should issue every person over 18, perhaps 21, a gun. Why is it a man can only protect his "castle". He should be able to protect his life and family outside his castle with the same lawful and deadly force.
    OPERATOR: "911, what's your emergency"?
    VICTIM : "Someone just broke into my house".
    OPERATOR: "Can you describe what the individual looks like"?
    (Bang... bang bang)
    VICTIM : "He's lying on the floor".
    OPERATOR: "Is he moving and able to speak"?
    VICTIM : "No".
    OPERATOR: "Do you need an ambulance"?
    VICTIM : "No, a hearse". (hangs up)
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  24. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Prepared View Post
    My idea of gun control is aiming with intentions to shoot to kill, one shot, one kill.
    May I refer you to the poll on shooting to kill, stop, or wound? It is here in the General Forum.

  25. #175
    Regular Member Chris-S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4
    link below explains and shows the same reason why i carry a gun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgcFbBoz9ck
    Last edited by Chris-S.; 02-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •