• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Becuase even if the cops show up dosnt mean there going to help. I was watching tru TV today and 3 cops shot 40 rounds and the Unarmed guy who was in the process hit 7 times. With that kind of shooting average I'll take my chances myself

That is just...

...unbelievable.

Next time I hit the range, I'm burning through $10 of ammo off the hip, just to see how much better I can shoot than that score. And just to be fair about it, even up the odds a little, think I should close my eyes too?

Last edited:

macinac

Why do I open carry?

Here is a little story as to why I carry, concealed or otherwise. I was standing in line in a crowded convenience store when in walks in 3 young men who were very drunk. They were not boistrous in a "i.m having a good time" way, but were loud and intimidating. They began shaking hands with everyone in an intimidating manner. Since I look younger than my 39 years I immediately became the focus of their attention.
One of them approached me and held out his hand, needless to say I did not hold out mine and he immediately began sizing me while the other 2 appraoched to provide back up. I had my weapon holstered to my side and while my Carhartt covered most of it the tip of the holster was visible if you looked closely which he did. When he noticed I then positioned my body to gain access and allow the whole weapon to be visible on my hip. His attitude then changed, he gave me a big smile and backed with his peons following. His intimidating attitude preceded him out the door as he followed.
Now at this time I would like to make clear that I did not make a show or pull my weapon, I simply showed him what he and his buddies had in store if he pursued his actions. The only other people who noticed my weapon were the 2 elderly women behind me who were muscled out of the way to get access to me. I saw the look of fear in their eyes as they moved behind me and my JA Ninefor safety.
So if I did not have my weapon? How would have that situation ended for me? For the 2 elderly women behind me? An anti-gun person might say that I should have took the beating that was sure to come had I not had my weapon and return home to my wife, 18 month old son and 11 year old daughter black and blue, but my father taught me not to accept the laying of hands on me. That is why I carry.

Haz.

Here is a little story as to why I carry, concealed or otherwise. I was standing in line in a crowded convenience store when in walks in 3 young men who were very drunk. They were not boistrous in a "i.m having a good time" way, but were loud and intimidating. They began shaking hands with everyone in an intimidating manner. Since I look younger than my 39 years I immediately became the focus of their attention.
One of them approached me and held out his hand, needless to say I did not hold out mine and he immediately began sizing me while the other 2 appraoched to provide back up. I had my weapon holstered to my side and while my Carhartt covered most of it the tip of the holster was visible if you looked closely which he did. When he noticed I then positioned my body to gain access and allow the whole weapon to be visible on my hip. His attitude then changed, he gave me a big smile and backed with his peons following. His intimidating attitude preceded him out the door as he followed.
Now at this time I would like to make clear that I did not make a show or pull my weapon, I simply showed him what he and his buddies had in store if he pursued his actions. The only other people who noticed my weapon were the 2 elderly women behind me who were muscled out of the way to get access to me. I saw the look of fear in their eyes as they moved behind me and my JA Ninefor safety.
So if I did not have my weapon? How would have that situation ended for me? For the 2 elderly women behind me? An anti-gun person might say that I should have took the beating that was sure to come had I not had my weapon and return home to my wife, 18 month old son and 11 year old daughter black and blue, but my father taught me not to accept the laying of hands on me. That is why I carry.

Mate, I'm glad you were armed and ready to defend yourself and others who were there and unarmed, like the tow elderly ladies who stood behind you for protection.

"An anti-gun person might say that I should have took the beating that was sure to come had I not had my weapon and return home to my wife, 18 month old son and 11 year old daughter black and blue, but my father taught me not to accept the laying of hands on me."

Good advice from a loving father.

Down Under you would most likely have been beaten to a pulp, stomped upon and kicked in the head untill you were unconscious or even dead, as happens every day, read the news stories I post daily in, "Who needs a gun in Australia" in the Great Britan thread.

You probably already know by now that armed self defence of any sort is illegal in Australia and the criminals who never handed in any weapons are having a field day. When criminals use firearms in their daily activities, the anties Down Under agitate, no they scream for tougher gun laws. I dont know how much tougher gun laws can be made when they are in fact already banned and armed self defence is illegal. Maybe the anites stupidly think if they keep stirring for tougher gun laws the criminals Down Under might just hand in their firearms? Dont come down under for a holiday, you might just get robbed, raped if one is a woman, bashed sensless, or shot dead.

Regards, Haz.

XDFDE45

This is all the reason I need.
disneyworld2009460.jpg

Kloutier

I think it is usually better to avoid a sarcastic or contentious response, since that would suggest you want to do some verbal sparring. I don't want any of that, and prefer to give others the impression that I take OC seriously and am not a threat or wise guy.

I've never been asked in more than 4 yrs of OC, but if an LEO asks, I'll just say "for personal protection. I think its the best option for me". The same answer goes to any private citizen if they just seem curious. If the person sounds like an anti-gun, liberal type with the typical angry/sarcastic/supercillious attitude, I would use a very neutral tone of voice and say "For personal protection. I have some very compelling and valid reasons, but they are very personal and I don't get into that with strangers. You have a nice day". End of story; walk away or resume a conversation with friend, or anything else to make it clear that any further unpleasantness would be an intrusion. If the person is not raised well, and still tries to carry on, I'd say "I made it clear I don't want to discuss this. Please stop".

I agree, A calm adult approach is best but its always fun to trash talk a bit where it wont cause a police officer to be insulted. Their ego is already been damaged with the idea that you do not need them for some kinds of protection.

MK

Why are you carrying that firearm?

Answer: zombie apocalypse:lol::lol:

Its only a matter of time before Eric Holder includes on to the already too long of a list, those who speak of zombie apocalypse as suspcious persons and possible terrorist threats.

Zombie apocalypse must be code for some kind of action or event. Our intelligence is seeing an increase in the references and internet noise associated to this mysterious activity.

strife1013

Its only a matter of time before Eric Holder includes on to the already too long of a list, those who speak of zombie apocalypse as suspcious persons and possible terrorist threats.

Zombie apocalypse must be code for some kind of action or event. Our intelligence is seeing an increase in the references and internet noise associated to this mysterious activity.

Well as a gun owner I am already labeled as a terrorist ha ha.

Patriot Prepper

True Grit

As I have no problem with a truthful answer, and if I am in a good mood... "Because crooked cops have guns.".

I spent decades bent over the hood of many a cruiser, face down on the pavement, and smiling down a judge red with rage in court, proving truth is the worst thing you can use when dealing with government agents. The one fact that hasn't changed is I will not be cowed into submission, I speak my mind when I feel like it.

If you don't want an answer you don't like, then you don't ask the question. One advantage to not being loved is I don't worry about stained clothing showing up later.

This is the type of attitude that won America her freedom. We should be able to stand up and say what we feel without fear of prosecution. We should not be cowed into submission and we should be able to speak our mind. That is why we have a 1st and 2nd Amendment.

Police are not are wardens and we are not their prisoners. They are supposed to be public servants not our masters. We The People are supposed to be the bosses. The above quote by SlackwareRobert is an example of true grit!

nonameisgood

I'm a bit astonished that people here haven't yet pointed out that answering questions from law enforcement without a compelling reason might not be the best idea.

If asked, maybe the best answer is no answer, maybe a laugh, or the shortest, least informative, least offensive answer ("no reason"), since the question was probably rhetorical at best. Does the police officer really think you're going to offer an answer that provides any useful information? Maybe he/she is in the habit of controlling the conversation by asking questions, in which case, a deferential answer resolves the issue, but the more you say, the more likely you will just dig a hole.
If he is interested in friendly conversation, the question is more likely, "what is that, a P2000? What caliber?" than "Why are you carrying that?"

A question like "why are you wearing that?" from an non-LE might indicate curiosity, but from LE, it is probably bait. The strategy is to get someone talking and let him incriminate himself, even if there is nothing to hide. (And I never wear tin foil, it is just common sense that a police officer would not ask that particular question for any good reason.)

So, my answer to LE is "no reason".
If they continue, the answer might become "is there some problem, officer?" To which I do not answer the next question, but instead might be evasive with "I've made sure I'm following the law, do you have a particular concern?" and the tried and true "am I free to go?"

I'll be happy to talk all day in response to a friendly question (make, model, caliber, where do I practice, officer so-and-so has one like that, etc.), much to the dismay of my attorney friends. But an abrasive, open-ended question like "Why?" gets no real response to most LE strangers.

Non-LE gets a polite answer like, "don't worry, it's legal and I always have it with me."

emtechnik

How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."

good answer! I hope I can articulate it that well if I get hassled by a cop someday (which i still don't look forward to).

It's respectful, but still them's is some forceful words that there!

Don Barnett

...was asked that question the other day.

A new barber shop opened at a small mall close to where I live. Because Potomac Mills Mall drew off a lot of business, there are not as many shops left and crime at the small mall has increased. The owners of the mall hires off duty Prince William Co Police to patrol the mall and they even opened a Police Sub Station in one of the empty stores.

The barber asked my why I carried a gun.

My response: "Because I can."

We talked about crime in the mall, deterant effect of open carry, use of force, etc.

He seemed to agree and when I left said: "Don't shoot anyone."

Sc0tt

How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."

+100

I'm remembering this one!

The sad part is some LEO's see us carrying as an insult. They see themselves as the protectors and the only ones who should have guns. When we tell them the streets arnt safe they think were telling them they suck at their jobs.
They just don't think about the fact that their job is just as much to protect our rights as to arrest those who break the law.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The sad part is some LEO's see us carrying as an insult. They see themselves as the protectors and the only ones who should have guns. When we tell them the streets arnt safe they think were telling them they suck at their jobs.
They just don't think about the fact that their job is just as much to protect our rights as to arrest those who break the law.

I hear you, and good points.

LEO (pick one): (Speaking in an artificially deep voice, all pumped up) "Sir, I must inform you that it's my job to protect you! I'm trained for it, and well, it's your right, but you should really leave these matters up to us..."

Yes, if you're there. The problem is, when seconds count, you're just minutes away. Don't get me wrong - if it's a heated dispute with a neighbor, you can usually arrive before things get too ugly, but not always. Regardless, I do a pretty good job of working through issues.

When robbers are in and out of a store in 30 seconds, having killed someone inside, or some lunatic starts shooting into a crowd, all that changes. Its over before you can get there. That's why I carry. It's not because it's not your job to protect me. That is your job, but only to a point, and that's where and how you can.

Where and how you can't protect me is my job to protect myself, and that's what I'm doing.

Frankly, I don't want your job. I do want mine.

Last edited: