• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

matt2636

I was recruited by the PD immediately after returning from my tour in Vietnam. Unfortunately, many law enforcement officers are put on the street without knowing all of the laws of that particular state. I grew up in Washington DC where guns were illegal, so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"
(Many police departments enlist their recruits from military bases as they are being discharged, and often they graduate from the police academy without being taught the state laws regarding gun rights.)

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers. However, had the person said, "Are you unaware that, in this state, it is legal for me to wear a gun on my hip without a license?", I probably would have been embarrassed but I believe I would have responded in a friendly manner and, at the end of the day, thankful to the OCer.

The fact is, the police are our allies and we are theirs. Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule and there are those who we referred to on the PD as "cowboys", but they are relatively few. However, in the event that you are confronted with a "cowboy", responding sarcastically will probably diminish their opinion of all OCers and make your situation more difficult than need be.

We provide our members with Idaho gun laws and encourage them to have the laws available whenever they Open Carry just in case they are confronted with a recent military veteran from an OC restricted state, who just joined the PD and who has no idea that it is legal to Open Carry. Open Carry is a public relations war and we are the front lines. Treat the officer like you would want to be treated. If they are ignorant of the gun laws, it is their departments fault for not educating them sufficiently, not the officer’s. Win them over and make them an ally; they will appreciate it and you will soon be on your way (much sooner than if you were sarcastic).

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Open Carry
"Only the good guys Open Carry"

im kinda disappointed reading some responses to what you have said here no one said thank you for your service. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! i would have to agree on the ignorance of the law arguement and the 2nd amendment and guns are a pretty big issue in every state so i would imagine leo would have some sort of idea.

Xulld

I usually respond by asking "you wear your seatbelt don't you?", when they say yes I ask "why don't you just put it on before an accident?" That usually shuts 'em up

Great response, sums up the point with fewer words than I usually do. I might need to use this one!