• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

NathanForrest

I open carry but have yet to be stopped and asked about it. I think it best if one is stopped to keep the chatter to a minimum, but for the record and the voice recorder that will be running, I will respond as follows.

Officer: Why are you carrying that firearm?
Me: Because there is no individual right to police protection.

Just a thought that you all might wish to incorporate into your philosophy on open carry.

Police Have No Duty To Protect Individuals
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

eye95

This exact same post was made at ALOC, to which I replied:

I would recommend something that a LEO is less likely to take offense at. Possibly just remind him that it is legal in AL to OC.

jeeper1

Why are you carrying that firearm?

Because it doesn't have wheels and I don't want to drag it.:D

cash50

I open carry but have yet to be stopped and asked about it. I think it best if one is stopped to keep the chatter to a minimum, but for the record and the voice recorder that will be running, I will respond as follows.

Officer: Why are you carrying that firearm?
Me: Because there is no individual right to police protection.

Just a thought that you all might wish to incorporate into your philosophy on open carry.

Police Have No Duty To Protect Individuals
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html
My response would be "...Oh? This firearm? Well I just love my Berettas. They look great."

SlackwareRobert

As I have no problem with a truthful answer, and if I am in a good mood... "Because crooked cops have guns.".

I spent decades bent over the hood of many a cruiser, face down on the pavement, and smiling down a judge red with rage in court, proving truth is the worst thing you can use when dealing with government agents. The one fact that hasn't changed is I will not be cowed into submission, I speak my mind when I feel like it.

If you don't want an answer you don't like, then you don't ask the question. One advantage to not being loved is I don't worry about stained clothing showing up later.

B

Bikenut

Why am I carrying this firearm? My answers:

To an officer: "Ah but.. the real question is since this is the United States of America where people have rights and this is Michigan where open carry is legal... why isn't every honorable citizen carrying a firearm?"

Police like to be the one asking the questions... puts them in control of, well, the whole encounter. Asking them questions changes the dynamics of the encounter and puts the interviewee on equal footing with the interviewer. Drives 'em nuts. The technique works well with anti gun Leftist weenies too.

To another citizen: "Because you don't have the courage to do it and need someone to hide behind when trouble comes."

Ran into something similar at the car show when a fellow said "You don't need that here... in New Lothrop". in reference to Yooperlady's pink gripped Smith on her hip. I replied with the fact that Michigan's Dept. of Corrections is releasing a whole bunch of criminals due to budget cutbacks... and many Police Depts. are laying off officers at the same time... so what does that tell ya? He had a thoughtful look on his face as we left.

NRAMARINE

Because I am blessed with a family that loves me, and it is my sworn duty to protect them from harm. I will not allow my children to be anyone's victim. My family trusts me to protect them, I will not betray that trust.

Ruger .454

How about, " I carry a weapon for the same reasons you do, officer: the streets are not safe, and both the Constitution and state law recognize the individual right to self-protection."

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I think it is usually better to avoid a sarcastic or contentious response, since that would suggest you want to do some verbal sparring. I don't want any of that, and prefer to give others the impression that I take OC seriously and am not a threat or wise guy.

I've never been asked in more than 4 yrs of OC, but if an LEO asks, I'll just say "for personal protection. I think its the best option for me". The same answer goes to any private citizen if they just seem curious. If the person sounds like an anti-gun, liberal type with the typical angry/sarcastic/supercillious attitude, I would use a very neutral tone of voice and say "For personal protection. I have some very compelling and valid reasons, but they are very personal and I don't get into that with strangers. You have a nice day". End of story; walk away or resume a conversation with friend, or anything else to make it clear that any further unpleasantness would be an intrusion. If the person is not raised well, and still tries to carry on, I'd say "I made it clear I don't want to discuss this. Please stop".

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I think it is usually better to avoid a sarcastic or contentious response, since that would suggest you want to do some verbal sparring. I don't want any of that, and prefer to give others the impression that I take OC seriously and am not a threat or wise guy.

All of the "non-sarcastic or contentious" answers so far assume that the officer is being confrontational already.

What if you take the question at face value?

How about these answers:
Why are you driving that car? Because I like Dodge Trucks better than Ford.
Why are you flying that plane? Because I couldn't afford a bigger one.
Why are you carrying that phone? Because I like Blackberry better than iPhone.
Why are you carrying that firearm? Because I like the XD better than Glock.

Last edited:

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I prefer:
For the same reason I carry a fire-extinguisher in my car, because if I need it I won't have time to go home and get it.

But, from personal experience, when the time comes for witty rejoinders my Adrenalin-pumped, dry-mouthed brain will not be able to come up with one.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Would anyone ask...

"Why are you carrying pepper spray?"

I highly doubt that question is asked much. It is because of the bigotry against firearms. But the response is the same nonetheless.

I carry to protect myself against harm.